Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another bargain for the Aldi fans

Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops
– which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments – had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless" Why are you wasting bandwidth/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless"

Still swallowing any old ******** spouted by company droids, eh Dribble?

Why are you wasting bandwidth/

Oh, the irony.

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Why are you wasting bandwidth

A question oft asked of your posts.

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion
laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless"

Still

Please eff off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-17 23:17:35 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion
laptops - which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had
been sold in Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless" Why are you wasting bandwidth/

The question is which piece of software is the infection. The boot
sector virus may be harmless, but the rest of it.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:35:43 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless"

Still swallowing any old ******** spouted by company droids, eh Dribble?

Why are you wasting bandwidth/

Oh, the irony.

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

Juz luv this type of comment - as if the author could, at the drop of
a hat, write a better one. But of course "he never does have the
time". da da-da da da da daaaaaaa.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Why are you wasting bandwidth

A question oft asked of your posts.

Please eff off as you are a total waste of space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Why are you wasting bandwidth

A question oft asked of your posts.

Please eff off as you are a total waste of space.

QED.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jake" wrote in message

Juz luv this type of comment - as if the author could, at the drop of
a hat, write a better one. But of course "he never does have the
time". da da-da da da da daaaaaaa.

Nice one!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 11:35 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless"

Still swallowing any old ******** spouted by company droids, eh Dribble?

Be fair. According to Symantec (who have NO interest in down-playing
any virus), "Damage Level : Low", and they don't mention any
destructive payload.

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't? (That's a serious question - I am
interested). I also would have thought that any architecture that
uses an operating system which is stored on disk must be vunerable to
a virus rewriting the well known location from which the initial ROM
reads the operating system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't?

The Clue is in the header, but to spell it out, I use OSX, althugh
that's simply one of several operating systems that have no use for the
PC BIOS. The basic input/output system used is Intel's EFI, which
Microsoft should support, but for reasons of the usual Microsoft
****wittery, don't.

(That's a serious question - I am interested). I also would have thought
that any architecture that uses an operating system which is stored on
disk must be vunerable to a virus rewriting the well known location from
which the initial ROM reads the operating system.

Only if the operating system is lame enough to permit software run in
user space to rewrite parts of the OS. Or if like Microsoft products
they are lame enough to require users to run all software as
administrators if they expect to get any work done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jake wrote:

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

Juz luv this type of comment - as if the author could, at the drop of
a hat, write a better one. But of course "he never does have the
time". da da-da da da da daaaaaaa.

I love your sort of comment that shows that you know ****-all but like
to pretend to knowledge that you don't have.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 23, 3:27 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Martin Bonner wrote:
And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't?

The Clue is in the header, but to spell it out, I use OSX, althugh
that's simply one of several operating systems that have no use for the
PC BIOS. The basic input/output system used is Intel's EFI, which
Microsoft should support, but for reasons of the usual Microsoft
****wittery, don't.

Oh right. You meant "BIOS" as in "IBM-PC Compatible BIOS" rather than
an arbitrary basic input/output system.

(That's a serious question - I am interested). I also would have thought
that any architecture that uses an operating system which is stored on
disk must be vunerable to a virus rewriting the well known location from
which the initial ROM reads the operating system.

Only if the operating system is lame enough to permit software
run in user space to rewrite parts of the OS. Or if like
Microsoft products they are lame enough to require users
to run all software as administrators if they expect to
get any work done.

Yeah I guess I had forgotten LOGIO and PHYSIO privileges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Martin Bonner wrote:

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't?

The Clue is in the header, but to spell it out, I use OSX, althugh
that's simply one of several operating systems that have no use for the
PC BIOS. The basic input/output system used is Intel's EFI, which
Microsoft should support, but for reasons of the usual Microsoft
****wittery, don't.

The reason they don't use efi is because they load their own BIOS as part of
the OS, just like freebsd and linux do.
Using efi may make it easier for the OS designer but it makes the os
dependent on the ROM contents on the machine.
Its somewhat easier to load the OSes own BIOS into RAM.
Strange as it may seem I think you will find OSX also loads its drivers into
RAM and bypasses EFI after booting too.
This is because the OS then knows it has the latest and also because stuff
runs a lot faster from RAM than from ROM on nearly evey machine.
BTW if you are a hardware supplier and you do use efi do you compile it to
run as 16,32 or 64 bit and which OSes wouldn't work if you used 64 bit?
If you don't compile it for 64bit how does the OS work?

(That's a serious question - I am interested). I also would have thought
that any architecture that uses an operating system which is stored on
disk must be vunerable to a virus rewriting the well known location from
which the initial ROM reads the operating system.

Only if the operating system is lame enough to permit software run in
user space to rewrite parts of the OS. Or if like Microsoft products
they are lame enough to require users to run all software as
administrators if they expect to get any work done.

Which M$ products require that?
Any OS in the last 6 years?
If you needed to run as admin then you didn't know how to use windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't?

The Clue is in the header, but to spell it out, I use OSX, althugh
that's simply one of several operating systems that have no use for the
PC BIOS. The basic input/output system used is Intel's EFI, which
Microsoft should support, but for reasons of the usual Microsoft
****wittery, don't.

The reason they don't use efi is because they load their own BIOS as part of
the OS, just like freebsd and linux do.

Please define the 'BIOS' that is loaded by these systems.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:

[...]

I think all EFI-bootable OS's do this.
Just the same as all BIOS-bootable OS's (except DOS maybe?)
don't use the BIOS calls after booting. (Due to non-use by any
mainstream OS, the 32 bit BIOS calls were too buggy to be usable,
and AFAIK there never were any 64 bit BIOS calls defined.)

This is because the OS then knows it has the latest and also because stuff
runs a lot faster from RAM than from ROM on nearly evey machine.
BTW if you are a hardware supplier and you do use efi do you compile it to
run as 16,32 or 64 bit and which OSes wouldn't work if you used 64 bit?
If you don't compile it for 64bit how does the OS work?

EFI is dead -- there will be no more new EFI systems introduced
since all the parties agreed on UEFI a year or more ago.
It was looking likely that UEFI would only directly support 64bit
OS's, and provide a leagacy BIOS mode booting for anything else.
That's what Microsoft and a number of the other parties were
suggesting, without any noticable disagreement from anyone else.
I don't think anything in UEFI prevents 16 and 32 bit support,
except it looks like no one will be providing any 16 or 32 bit
drivers for it on the basis that all current hardware and all
mainstream OS's are now 64 bit capable, and anything that isn't
probably also has dependancies on leagacy BIOS booting.
However, I've been out of the loop for a while now and things
may have moved on.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The reason they don't use efi is because they load their own BIOS as part of
the OS, just like freebsd and linux do.

Please define the 'BIOS' that is loaded by these systems.

The kernel device drivers. They drive the hardware directly,
not via the BIOS calls which are provided for that purpose.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Wouldn't have been my choice of words either, but the BIOS was
actually written originally to provide the low level interface
to the hardware.

And used to be used in DOS days (and even then I used to spend a fair
amount of effort circumventing it then to gain either speed, or a
fighting change that something would work in the first place (i.e.
serial comms))...

Some BIOS calls carried on for a bit in Win95. Can't think of anything
that current windows use it for though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:

[...]

Of course it does, but the EFI bit makes sure that

- Apple stuff won't boot on generic PC hardware
- the APple marketing people can add another piEce Of BS tO theiR
marketing ****e to tell mac gopis how wonderful life is when sitting at
Guru Jobs' kneees.

[...]

I have found that Mac people don't want to hear the truth - that a Mac
is in fact juts a over priced PC running a prettier and slightly more
stable windowing system that runs slower, has less hardware and software
support, but otherwise is just after all another bloody computer..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-24, dennis@home wrote:

If you needed to run as admin then you didn't know how to use windows.

Garbage.

I stand by what I said.. can you show me why you *need* to run as admin?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:

[...]

support, but otherwise is just after all another bloody computer..- Hide quoted text -

applause

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have found that Mac people don't want to hear the truth

I'm quite happy to hear the truth.

- that a Mac is in fact juts a over priced PC running a prettier and
slightly more stable windowing system that runs slower, has less hardware
and software support, but otherwise is just after all another bloody
computer..

That wasn't the truth, HTH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

applause

So how many Macs have you used over what sort of period of time?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-24, dennis@home wrote:

If you needed to run as admin then you didn't know how to use windows.

Garbage.

I stand by what I said..

Suit yourself.

can you show me why you *need* to run as admin?

Because far too much Winblows software assumes it has write privileges to
the
whole system and either bitches or simply doesn't work properly when it
doesn't.

As you claim.
However I have none that does and I expect thats true for most users.
I run similar stuff to what most user will run including:- office,
compilers, databases, games, video editting. none at admin level.

Another one of the myriad reasons I won't use Gate's bundle of bugs and
security
vulnerabilities that he laughingly calls an "operating system".

Apparantly you do so for the wrong reasons as you don't actually understand
windows.
I bet you don't actually understand Linux either if you think it is
significantly better than windows.
As a user of both I can assure you that both have problems and niether is
perfect.

--
"Religion poisons everything."
[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org dot uk]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 1:13 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
wrote:
applause

So how many Macs have you used over what sort of period of time?

Enough to know taht I agree with the assertion.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

As a user

Says it all. Huge and I aren't just "users".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have found that Mac people don't want to hear the truth - that a Mac
is in fact juts a over priced PC running a prettier and slightly more
stable windowing system that runs slower, has less hardware and software
support, but otherwise is just after all another bloody computer..

Over priced - possibly. You might argue you get some nice design and
aesthetics for your money.

Prettier certainly.

More stable inherently, and also by virtue of there being less malware
targeted at the platform.

Slower - not really - it varies with application, but on similar
hardware there is not a noticeable difference in application
performance. Compared to vista it flys!

Less hardware support? Less than XP, but more than Vista. You can
generally find most of the hardware you need though.

Software support - main apps covered well, some specialist stuff not
well catered for. These days with the ability to run virtual platforms
so easily that seems less of an issue.

Ease of use and the ability to get useful stuff done out of the box is
better. Learning times are reduced and clueless users are less likely to
shoot themselves in the foot. The old issue of macs nannying the user
and making it hard for people who do know what they are doing get low
level control, no longer really apply since the transition to OSX.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

As a user

Says it all. Huge and I aren't just "users".

Says it all really.. treat the users with contempt and wonder why you can't
give it away. ;-)
BTW I am not just a user either having written kernel level code in Unix in
the past.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Less hardware support? Less than XP, but more than Vista. You can
generally find most of the hardware you need though.

I don't see that as true. What hardware is there that cannot be used
with a Mac or for which there is not a suitable alternative?

I have a mix of devices scanners, printers, keyboards, monitors,
projectors, internal and external hard drives, the list is endless, all
bought for use with a PC, some of them up to fifteen years old, all of
them work with the Mac.

As far as printers go, so far I haven't found one that the OS doesn't
recognise and install the drivers for automatically.

When I bought a new Sony Alpha camera I plugged it into the Mac, the Mac
noticed I had a Sony Alpha and configured itself to accept Sony RAW
files in iPhoto. What more do I need?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
applause

So how many Macs have you used over what sort of period of time?

Enough to know taht I agree with the assertion.

No, go on, how many and what versions of the OS? Try not avoiding the
question.

It's irrelevant, even if I'd never tried any, I could still agree with
TNPs assertion.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-25, dennis@home wrote:

"Huge" wrote in message

Because far too much Winblows software assumes it has write privileges
the
whole system and either bitches or simply doesn't work properly when it
doesn't.

As you claim.
However I have none that does

That makes it OK for me, then, does it?

I just asked what.. you don't appear to have an answer.
I get the impression you made it up.

Another one of the myriad reasons I won't use Gate's bundle of bugs and
security
vulnerabilities that he laughingly calls an "operating system".

Apparantly you do so for the wrong reasons as you don't actually
understand
windows.

I love this kind of argument, given that I've worked in IT for over 3
decades
and managed huge desktop and server installations in the City running O/Ss
you've never heard of

Name one of those OSes, I can think of quite a few and have written code on
quite a few.

, much less know anything about, as well as Gates's junk.
You see, I actually *have* TCO figures for real world installs.

I hate IT guys.
As a system designer I have to take into account how bad you can be.
It makes my life very difficult.. it would be much easier if I could have
some of you sacked and replaced by people who are willing to learn and have
open minds.

I bet you don't actually understand Linux either if you think it is
significantly better than windows.

Who mentioned Linux, moron?

SunOS is a lot like Linux you know.
I bet half the stuff you run is open source ("linux") too.
Have you tried Solaris?
I prefer vanilla SVR5 myself as its easy to write STREAMS modules if you
need near to real-time response like you do in telephone exchanges.

As a user of both I can assure you that both have problems and niether is
perfect.

Given that you can neither spell, nor operate your delete key, and that
you
appear to believe that jumping to conclusions is logically valid, perhaps
you
could explain why I should pay the slightest attention to any of your
droolings?

Being able to type is not a requirement for being correct.
You have no need to pay any attention to me at all.. I stated fact as I see
it and you responded without any facts to backup your claim.
Your argument sounds like the usual "I hate M$" argument that some
irrational people have.
It has nothing to do with how good an OS is or isn't.

If you really want a technical argument feel free.

Klingspor bargain box really is a bargain Ken Yee Woodworking 2 January 4th 07 11:45 PM
This week's Aldi bargain Lobster UK diy 28 September 28th 06 12:35 AM
Bargain! The Medway Handyman UK diy 0 April 17th 06 02:54 PM
Calling all Aldi cement mixer fans... Lobster UK diy 24 March 6th 06 10:28 PM
B & Q Bargain Magician UK diy 2 March 25th 05 09:08 PM