Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Bonner Martin Bonner is offline

Default Another bargain for the Aldi fans

On Sep 17, 11:35 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless"

Still swallowing any old ******** spouted by company droids, eh Dribble?

Be fair. According to Symantec (who have NO interest in down-playing
any virus), "Damage Level : Low", and they don't mention any
destructive payload.

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't? (That's a serious question - I am
interested). I also would have thought that any architecture that
uses an operating system which is stored on disk must be vunerable to
a virus rewriting the well known location from which the initial ROM
reads the operating system.