Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Another bargain for the Aldi fans

Martin Bonner wrote:

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't?

The Clue is in the header, but to spell it out, I use OSX, althugh
that's simply one of several operating systems that have no use for the
PC BIOS. The basic input/output system used is Intel's EFI, which
Microsoft should support, but for reasons of the usual Microsoft
****wittery, don't.

(That's a serious question - I am interested). I also would have thought
that any architecture that uses an operating system which is stored on
disk must be vunerable to a virus rewriting the well known location from
which the initial ROM reads the operating system.

Only if the operating system is lame enough to permit software run in
user space to rewrite parts of the OS. Or if like Microsoft products
they are lame enough to require users to run all software as
administrators if they expect to get any work done.