Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another bargain for the Aldi fans

Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops
– which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments – had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless" Why are you wasting bandwidth/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless"

Still swallowing any old ******** spouted by company droids, eh Dribble?

Why are you wasting bandwidth/

Oh, the irony.

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion
laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless"

Still

Please eff off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:35:43 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless"

Still swallowing any old ******** spouted by company droids, eh Dribble?

Why are you wasting bandwidth/

Oh, the irony.

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

Juz luv this type of comment - as if the author could, at the drop of
a hat, write a better one. But of course "he never does have the
time". da da-da da da da daaaaaaa.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jake" wrote in message

Juz luv this type of comment - as if the author could, at the drop of
a hat, write a better one. But of course "he never does have the
time". da da-da da da da daaaaaaa.

Nice one!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jake wrote:

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

Juz luv this type of comment - as if the author could, at the drop of
a hat, write a better one. But of course "he never does have the
time". da da-da da da da daaaaaaa.

I love your sort of comment that shows that you know ****-all but like
to pretend to knowledge that you don't have.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 11:35 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion laptops -
which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had been sold in
Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless"

Still swallowing any old ******** spouted by company droids, eh Dribble?

Be fair. According to Symantec (who have NO interest in down-playing
any virus), "Damage Level : Low", and they don't mention any
destructive payload.

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't? (That's a serious question - I am
interested). I also would have thought that any architecture that
uses an operating system which is stored on disk must be vunerable to
a virus rewriting the well known location from which the initial ROM
reads the operating system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't?

The Clue is in the header, but to spell it out, I use OSX, althugh
that's simply one of several operating systems that have no use for the
PC BIOS. The basic input/output system used is Intel's EFI, which
Microsoft should support, but for reasons of the usual Microsoft
****wittery, don't.

(That's a serious question - I am interested). I also would have thought
that any architecture that uses an operating system which is stored on
disk must be vunerable to a virus rewriting the well known location from
which the initial ROM reads the operating system.

Only if the operating system is lame enough to permit software run in
user space to rewrite parts of the OS. Or if like Microsoft products
they are lame enough to require users to run all software as
administrators if they expect to get any work done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 23, 3:27 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Martin Bonner wrote:
And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't?

The Clue is in the header, but to spell it out, I use OSX, althugh
that's simply one of several operating systems that have no use for the
PC BIOS. The basic input/output system used is Intel's EFI, which
Microsoft should support, but for reasons of the usual Microsoft
****wittery, don't.

Oh right. You meant "BIOS" as in "IBM-PC Compatible BIOS" rather than
an arbitrary basic input/output system.

(That's a serious question - I am interested). I also would have thought
that any architecture that uses an operating system which is stored on
disk must be vunerable to a virus rewriting the well known location from
which the initial ROM reads the operating system.

Only if the operating system is lame enough to permit software
run in user space to rewrite parts of the OS. Or if like
Microsoft products they are lame enough to require users
to run all software as administrators if they expect to
get any work done.

Yeah I guess I had forgotten LOGIO and PHYSIO privileges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Martin Bonner wrote:

And most amusing that you don't understand why this event is a bad
thing. Still what do people expect when they run a ****e old system
dependent on a BIOS?

What do you use that doesn't?

The Clue is in the header, but to spell it out, I use OSX, althugh
that's simply one of several operating systems that have no use for the
PC BIOS. The basic input/output system used is Intel's EFI, which
Microsoft should support, but for reasons of the usual Microsoft
****wittery, don't.

The reason they don't use efi is because they load their own BIOS as part of
the OS, just like freebsd and linux do.
Using efi may make it easier for the OS designer but it makes the os
dependent on the ROM contents on the machine.
Its somewhat easier to load the OSes own BIOS into RAM.
Strange as it may seem I think you will find OSX also loads its drivers into
RAM and bypasses EFI after booting too.
This is because the OS then knows it has the latest and also because stuff
runs a lot faster from RAM than from ROM on nearly evey machine.
BTW if you are a hardware supplier and you do use efi do you compile it to
run as 16,32 or 64 bit and which OSes wouldn't work if you used 64 bit?
If you don't compile it for 64bit how does the OS work?

(That's a serious question - I am interested). I also would have thought
that any architecture that uses an operating system which is stored on
disk must be vunerable to a virus rewriting the well known location from
which the initial ROM reads the operating system.

Only if the operating system is lame enough to permit software run in
user space to rewrite parts of the OS. Or if like Microsoft products
they are lame enough to require users to run all software as
administrators if they expect to get any work done.

Which M$ products require that?
Any OS in the last 6 years?
If you needed to run as admin then you didn't know how to use windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Why are you wasting bandwidth

A question oft asked of your posts.

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Why are you wasting bandwidth

A question oft asked of your posts.

Please eff off as you are a total waste of space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Why are you wasting bandwidth

A question oft asked of your posts.

Please eff off as you are a total waste of space.

QED.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-17 23:17:35 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Getting more than you paid for again:

"A batch of laptops pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium was
found to have been infected with a 13-year-old boot sector virus."

"According to Virus Bulletin, the consignment of infected Medion
laptops - which could number anything up to 100,000 shipments - had
been sold in Danish and German branches of retail giant Aldi."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

"the infection itself is harmless" Why are you wasting bandwidth/

The question is which piece of software is the infection. The boot
sector virus may be harmless, but the rest of it.....

Klingspor bargain box really is a bargain Ken Yee Woodworking 2 January 4th 07 11:45 PM
This week's Aldi bargain Lobster UK diy 28 September 28th 06 12:35 AM
Bargain! The Medway Handyman UK diy 0 April 17th 06 02:54 PM
Calling all Aldi cement mixer fans... Lobster UK diy 24 March 6th 06 10:28 PM
B & Q Bargain Magician UK diy 2 March 25th 05 09:08 PM