Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Potterton Profile pilot light is always on

Hello All

Does anybody have any ideas why the pilot light on my profile 50e
never goes out - even if I switch off the electric?

My guess is the pilot gas valve is either sticking or worn out. The
boiler fires up as normal, with both solenoids click and clunking.
There are no ignition clicks though - but I guess thats because the
pilot flame has already been detected.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem? I'm pretty capable and
have fixed other parts of the boiler but I don't want to have to mess
with the gas supply for obvious reasons!

Thanks
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stompo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All

Does anybody have any ideas why the pilot light on my profile 50e
never goes out - even if I switch off the electric?

My guess is the pilot gas valve is either sticking or worn out. The
boiler fires up as normal, with both solenoids click and clunking.
There are no ignition clicks though - but I guess thats because the
pilot flame has already been detected.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem? I'm pretty capable and
have fixed other parts of the boiler but I don't want to have to mess
with the gas supply for obvious reasons!

Thanks
Clive

its normal !

if you turn the gas off and let the thermo-valve cool down and switch the
gas on the pilot ligh will need to be re-lit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:03:14 -0700, stompo wrote:

Hello All

Does anybody have any ideas why the pilot light on my profile 50e
never goes out - even if I switch off the electric?

My guess is the pilot gas valve is either sticking or worn out. The
boiler fires up as normal, with both solenoids click and clunking.
There are no ignition clicks though - but I guess thats because the
pilot flame has already been detected.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem? I'm pretty capable and
have fixed other parts of the boiler but I don't want to have to mess
with the gas supply for obvious reasons!

Thanks
Clive

Looks like it must be a sticking gas valve.
Turn off the gas and get the gas valve replaced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NikV
writes

"stompo" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hello All

Does anybody have any ideas why the pilot light on my profile 50e
never goes out - even if I switch off the electric?

My guess is the pilot gas valve is either sticking or worn out. The
boiler fires up as normal, with both solenoids click and clunking.
There are no ignition clicks though - but I guess thats because the
pilot flame has already been detected.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem? I'm pretty capable and
have fixed other parts of the boiler but I don't want to have to mess
with the gas supply for obvious reasons!

Thanks
Clive

its normal !

if you turn the gas off and let the thermo-valve cool down and switch the
gas on the pilot ligh will need to be re-lit

Is it **** normal, don't talk ********

The gas valve is letting by for some reason and needs replacing

If the volts are removed from the pilot valve solenoid, it should close
and no gas should pass through

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ed Sirett writes:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:03:14 -0700, stompo wrote:

Hello All

Does anybody have any ideas why the pilot light on my profile 50e
never goes out - even if I switch off the electric?

My guess is the pilot gas valve is either sticking or worn out. The
boiler fires up as normal, with both solenoids click and clunking.
There are no ignition clicks though - but I guess thats because the
pilot flame has already been detected.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem? I'm pretty capable and
have fixed other parts of the boiler but I don't want to have to mess
with the gas supply for obvious reasons!

Looks like it must be a sticking gas valve.
Turn off the gas and get the gas valve replaced.

I'm surprised it will go through the ignition sequence.
I thought most boilers checked there was no pilot flame
sense electrode conduction before starting the ignition
sequence, to ensure the ignition sense electrode is not
shorted out by dirt rather than sensing ignition. Maybe
the Profile is too old for that check.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"stompo" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

on my potterton the boiler can stay unplugged and the pilot lght stays on -
there is a thermo based valve wich lets gas through for the pilot light -
this is the third central heating boiler (in 3/4 houses) that works this way
the other had an on demand piezo ignition, if the gas supply is cut the
valve closes and you have to do the 'turn knob ignite woth piezo and hold
for 30 seconds to ensure the pilot valve stays open - I can probably find
the diagram from the GCSE physics book which sjows the general principle

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NikV" wrote in message

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"stompo" wrote in message
[...]

btw its sometinmes called the thermocoupler (not thermocouple) or pilot
latch assembly - like here
http://www.applianceaid.com/dryer_pilot.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NikV" wrote in message

"NikV" wrote in message

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"stompo" wrote in message
legroups.com...
[...]

or wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_light

number 3 on the list

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"stompo" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, but your antiquated POS is not a Profile, is it ?

The profile has electronic ignition, it goes through an ignition
sequence and the pilot valve is only operated once the air pressure
switch has established that the fan is generating a sufficient pressure
differential, and the pcb senses that pilot flame before operating the
main gas solenoid

what you wrote was wrong and potentially dangerous information

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NikV
writes

Oh do **** off

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Ed Sirett writes:
[...]

And, if anyone should know the answer to that one, its me isn't it

I have a feeling you're right, I'll check tomorrow

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

what an intellect wow .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"stompo" wrote in message
[...]

now that clear and lucid explanation wasn't too difficult was it - why did
we have all the f**k off , b*ll*cks when that would have done nicely ??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NikV
writes

No, it's sound advice to a clueless ****wit

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"stompo" wrote in message
glegroups.com...
[...]

Because I enjoy it,

m'kay ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"stompo" wrote in message
oglegroups.com...
[...]

and you called me the clueless f*ckwit, think you've demonstrated that
adequately now :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"stompo" wrote in message
ooglegroups.com...
[...]

That's because you are - and then you pushed it to prove it beyond doubt

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
and you called me the clueless f*ckwit, think you've demonstrated that
adequately now :-)

That's because you are - and then you pushed it to prove it beyond doubt

amazing how comunicative you can be with resorting to abuse - it must be
good for you :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:25:17 +0100, NikV wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"stompo" wrote in message
[...]

It might come as a surprise to you that Potterton make and have made a
large range of boilers. Most of which have not used permanent pilot lights
and themoelectric valves for the last 15 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
and you called me the clueless f*ckwit, think you've demonstrated that
adequately now :-)

That's because you are - and then you pushed it to prove it beyond doubt

amazing how comunicative you can be with resorting to abuse - it must be
good for you :-)

When someone tells someone who has what amounts to a gas leak that it's
normal ? - clueless ****wit about sums you up

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
and you called me the clueless f*ckwit, think you've demonstrated that
adequately now :-)

That's because you are - and then you pushed it to prove it beyond doubt

amazing how comunicative you can be with resorting to abuse - it must be
good for you :-)

When someone tells someone who has what amounts to a gas leak that it's
normal ? - clueless ****wit about sums you up

ah poor dear, was it another difficult day - back to the abuse again (oh I
remember its because you can) - I wonder what else you do 'because you can')
perhaps later you'll feel more mellow :-)

quite surpising though that the more technology seems to provide a fail
dangerous leak - probably the same design team that produced pcb which
neeeding replacing so often ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Aug, 19:39, "NikV" wrote:
"raden" wrote in message

In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
and you called me the clueless f*ckwit, think you've demonstrated that
adequately now :-)

That's because you are - and then you pushed it to prove it beyond doubt

amazing how comunicative you can be with resorting to abuse - it must be
good for you :-)

When someone tells someone who has what amounts to a gas leak that it's
normal ? - clueless ****wit about sums you up

ah poor dear, was it another difficult day - back to the abuse again (oh I
remember its because you can) - I wonder what else you do 'because you can')
perhaps later you'll feel more mellow :-)

quite surpising though that the more technology seems to provide a fail
dangerous leak - probably the same design team that produced pcb which
neeeding replacing so often ....- Hide quoted text -

Having started out by launching into a subject about which you
patently know very little and advising the OP that a malfunctioning
gas valve is normal, I suggest the best thing you can do is stop
digging the hole you have dropped yourself into.
Geoff has been surprisingly patient with you considering the danger
which following your ill considered first response might have created.
Ed tried to explain to you that just because your old boiler had a
permanent pilot doesn't mean newer interrupted pilot models were the
same and yet you still keep on sniping away.
Take a bit of advice, shut up on this subject and learn from Geoff who
group regulars know is familiar with the sequence controls and PCBs of
nearly every boiler presently marketed in the UK and most of the ones
still installed but no longer made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , NikV
writes

"raden" wrote in message
and you called me the clueless f*ckwit, think you've demonstrated that
adequately now :-)

That's because you are - and then you pushed it to prove it beyond doubt

amazing how comunicative you can be with resorting to abuse - it must be
good for you :-)

When someone tells someone who has what amounts to a gas leak that it's
normal ? - clueless ****wit about sums you up

ah poor dear, was it another difficult day - back to the abuse again (oh I
remember its because you can) - I wonder what else you do 'because you can')
perhaps later you'll feel more mellow :-)

No, I'm just naturally abusive to eejits - in English, Malay or whatever
language

****ed if I have the slightest idea what you're waffling on about there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cynic" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 23 Aug, 19:39, "NikV" wrote:

snip

whilst agreeing with your sentiments re the advice to the op it seems that
most of the comments refer to the inability of some to say anything without
swearing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ageless
writes

"cynic" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 23 Aug, 19:39, "NikV" wrote:

snip

whilst agreeing with your sentiments re the advice to the op it seems that
most of the comments refer to the inability of some to say anything without
swearing

Sorry, I don't suffer fools

especially those who don't stop when they have given incorrect and
dangerous advice, but then follow it up with more stupidity

Lets not forget, he was in effect telling the OP that the gas leak
(through the pilot valve) was perfectly normal because he's a clueless
****wit (others might use other words)

and if you don't like it ...

--
geoff