Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Drilling out pop rivets

raden wrote:

In message , cerberus
writes

"cerberus" wrote in message
. uk...

"Duncan Wood" wrote in message
newsp.txdkgxvfyuobwl@lucy...

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:07:43 +0100, Mike G wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

The biggest problem with with 'pop' rivets is whether they are open or
closed. An open rivet is relatively easy to drill out.....it's just a
matter of knocking the 'mandrel' out (the piece that expands the
rivet) &
then drilling the head off, then the shank can be 'knocked through'
with a
centre punch!

A 'closed' rivet is a different kettle of fish, normally the mandrel
cannot be knocked back...it's a matter of drilling the 'head' off & then
knocking back with a punch and expanding the origional hole.

When is a pop rivet not a pop rivet?

When it's a monobolt http://www.erivet.co.uk/monobolt.htm

Looks like a Cherry lock to me :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

AIUI the advantage is that Ti coated bits have longer life to first
resharpen, thus for a DIYer that means less time out of service. The
other plus is that since most DIYers dont resharpen bits, the Ti
coated ones will last longer, easily justifying the extra cost.
Probably all DIYers should resharpen bits, but IRL most dont.

Wish there was a decent drill sharpener on the market. I have two and
they're both near useless on anything other than large drills. Which even
I can do as well on a grinder by eye.

You don't need a drill sharpener. It is a bit late in the night to
describe the method. But if I have not gat back to you within 24 hours.
Feel free to poke the e mail address.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote in message
ps.com...
Mike G wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

The last thing is that standard HSS twist drills dont work that good
on ali, try a gold coloured coated bit instead..

Sorry, but that is just plain nonsense.

well I'll take your word for it. I thought ali tended to stick to hss
at higher speeds.

If drilled or machined dry, ally tends to stick to any cutting tool.
Applying a lttle parrafin occasionally, is usually all that's needed to stop
it happening.
Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Dave wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

AIUI the advantage is that Ti coated bits have longer life to first
resharpen, thus for a DIYer that means less time out of service. The
other plus is that since most DIYers dont resharpen bits, the Ti
coated ones will last longer, easily justifying the extra cost.
Probably all DIYers should resharpen bits, but IRL most dont.

Wish there was a decent drill sharpener on the market. I have two and
they're both near useless on anything other than large drills. Which even
I can do as well on a grinder by eye.

You don't need a drill sharpener. It is a bit late in the night to
describe the method. But if I have not gat back to you within 24 hours.

Fancy posting your method he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/

sounds like it could be useful for reference later.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Dave" wrote in message
raden wrote:

In message , cerberus
writes

&
then drilling the head off, then the shank can be 'knocked through'
with a
centre punch!

A 'closed' rivet is a different kettle of fish, normally the mandrel
cannot be knocked back...it's a matter of drilling the 'head' off &
then
knocking back with a punch and expanding the origional hole.

When is a pop rivet not a pop rivet?

When it's a monobolt http://www.erivet.co.uk/monobolt.htm

Looks like a Cherry lock to me :-)

Dave

I don't think mono's would be allowed on aeroplanes ;-)

I used them (in a past life) when I worked for a trailer manufacturer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 02:51:19 +0100, Mike G wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
Mike G wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

The last thing is that standard HSS twist drills dont work that good
on ali, try a gold coloured coated bit instead..

Sorry, but that is just plain nonsense.

well I'll take your word for it. I thought ali tended to stick to hss
at higher speeds.

If drilled or machined dry, ally tends to stick to any cutting tool.
Applying a lttle parrafin occasionally, is usually all that's needed to
stop it happening.
Mike

& ,for ally, a little washing up liquid works wonders.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

John Rumm wrote:
Dave wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

AIUI the advantage is that Ti coated bits have longer life to first
resharpen, thus for a DIYer that means less time out of service. The
other plus is that since most DIYers dont resharpen bits, the Ti
coated ones will last longer, easily justifying the extra cost.
Probably all DIYers should resharpen bits, but IRL most dont.

Wish there was a decent drill sharpener on the market. I have two and
they're both near useless on anything other than large drills. Which
even
I can do as well on a grinder by eye.

You don't need a drill sharpener. It is a bit late in the night to
describe the method. But if I have not gat back to you within 24 hours.

Fancy posting your method he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/

sounds like it could be useful for reference later.

Will it accept small photo's?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Dave wrote:

Fancy posting your method he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/

sounds like it could be useful for reference later.

Will it accept small photo's?

It will take quite large ones if you want. Use the upload file page for
the photos:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Special:Upload

Then you can drop them into your article with a simple reference in the
text like:

[[Image:RCDSocket.jpg|Socket with built in RCD]]

The bit after the | is the name you want to appear in the alt image for
the photo.

Just select any other article and click "edit" for an example of how to
markup your text for special features etc (only don't same it unless you
want to change it).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

John Rumm wrote:
Dave wrote:

Fancy posting your method he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/

sounds like it could be useful for reference later.

Will it accept small photo's?

It will take quite large ones if you want. Use the upload file page for
the photos:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Special:Upload

Then you can drop them into your article with a simple reference in the
text like:

[[Image:RCDSocket.jpg|Socket with built in RCD]]

The bit after the | is the name you want to appear in the alt image for
the photo.

Just select any other article and click "edit" for an example of how to
markup your text for special features etc (only don't same it unless you
want to change it).

OK I'll give it a go later on, when I have some time to put it together.

Dave

Nameplate Rivets Pete Keillor Metalworking 23 April 1st 06 04:20 AM
Peen rod for rivets dadiOH Woodworking 6 February 22nd 06 06:28 PM
METRIC Rivets Fuhh Metalworking 2 October 23rd 05 08:29 AM
METRIC Rivets Roger Metalworking 0 October 23rd 05 04:26 AM
What tool for peening over small rivets? Dave in MD Metalworking 10 January 4th 05 06:48 AM