Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scaffold/access towers - follow-up

I ordered a tower last Friday, from he
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/towers_domestic.htm

£260 for 12'6" platform, 2 outrigger stabilisers, and adjustable feet
for all 4 legs.
A real bargain.

It arrived Tuesday, and I was soon unwrapping it and assembling it.
Basic but well worth the price. It is a bit unsteady until both cross
bars have been fitted, then with the outriggers fitted, and levelled up,
it was very stable.
There were 2 slightly tight sections, but otherwise it slotted together
without a fault.
I bought 5 5' scaffold boards from a local supplier - £18, and screwed
in sections of 3x2 wood on the bottom to stop them moving about when
placed on the platform.
I didnt need the extra 2'6" section to get good access to the guttering,
but with that fitted, it gives a better protection against falling over
the edge!

If you are in the market for one, I dont think you can get better for
occasional use.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:24:36 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

[...]

==================================
I notice that they provide a method of creating a cantilevered
configuration. In my view this looks rather unsafe and likely to damage
the roof on which it rests.

This is how my tower with cantilevered section looked recently when
working over part of a neighbour's house.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0009.jpg

I have used the same configuration at a reach of nearly 10' but in that
case I used the 45 degree supports on 18mm boards on the roof itself to
spread the weight a little. No damage ensued.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee coughed up some electrons that declared:

I ordered a tower last Friday, from he
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/towers_domestic.htm

I'm very taken by the telescopic ladders they also sell:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk//ladders_telescopic.htm

Anyone tried these?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm currently thinking about getting an aluminium one, for easier handling.
Perhaps a used "pro" model rather than a new DIY one. Any views?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:14:40 +0100, Newshound wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

I doubt if there's any real difference in weight between an aluminium
tower and the average DIY steel tower. I have a two 6' x 4' towers and I
can easily lift one of the 6' x 3' sections to head height for erection.

If you're considering buying a second hand 'pro' tower consider why it's
being sold - maybe damaged in some way.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Southerwood" wrote in message

snip

I'm very taken by the telescopic ladders they also sell:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk//ladders_telescopic.htm

Anyone tried these?

Yes; I purchased one of these 3.3 m telescopic ladders- it does what it says
on the tin!
I particular like it for working on the stairs reaching to the ceiling and
picture rails etc above the stairwell.
I can carry it round corners and up the stairs collapsed down and then
extend it upwards towards the ceilings. - no messing about with other
ladders and boards.
Collapsed it stows away on top of an upright freezer. {Why do the adverts
for similar devices always claim that it'll fit under the bed and/or into a
closet?]

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Tim Southerwood" wrote in message

snip

I'm very taken by the telescopic ladders they also sell:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk//ladders_telescopic.htm

Anyone tried these?

Yes; I purchased one of these 3.3 m telescopic ladders- it does what it
says on the tin!
I particular like it for working on the stairs reaching to the ceiling and
picture rails etc above the stairwell.
I can carry it round corners and up the stairs collapsed down and then
extend it upwards towards the ceilings. - no messing about with other
ladders and boards.
Collapsed it stows away on top of an upright freezer. {Why do the adverts
for similar devices always claim that it'll fit under the bed and/or into
a closet?]

Excellent - thanks Brian. I think I'll get one of those.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
[...]

About twice what I paid for one without platform or outriggers.

I made a platform out of 3x2 and some scaffolding planks: it has
cantilever type bits that rest against the wall and stabilise it nicely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Southerwood wrote:

Excellent - thanks Brian. I think I'll get one of those.

Makro had them at about £150 + VAT IIRC
--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:11:33 +0100, Tim Southerwood
wrote:

A.Lee coughed up some electrons that declared:

I ordered a tower last Friday, from he
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/towers_domestic.htm

I'm very taken by the telescopic ladders they also sell:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk//ladders_telescopic.htm

Anyone tried these?

Tim

I have seen surveyors around here when doing surveys taking them out
the car boot .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
This is how my tower with cantilevered section looked recently when
working over part of a neighbour's house.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0009.jpg

Yours appears to be putting torsional loading on the tower.. something they
are not designed for.
Their examples transfer the load to the structure beneath which is how
towers are designed to be used.
Just remember that when you start to load it.. epecially with an alloy tower
as there is little(no!) warning before it goes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A.Lee coughed up some electrons that declared:

I ordered a tower last Friday, from he
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/towers_domestic.htm

I'm very taken by the telescopic ladders they also sell:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk//ladders_telescopic.htm

Anyone tried these?

Tim

I have seen surveyors around here when doing surveys taking them out
the car boot .

Christ, I've never seen a surveyor up a ladder!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
This is how my tower with cantilevered section looked recently when
working over part of a neighbour's house.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0009.jpg

Yours appears to be putting torsional loading on the tower.. something they
are not designed for.
Their examples transfer the load to the structure beneath which is how
towers are designed to be used.
Just remember that when you start to load it.. epecially with an alloy tower
as there is little(no!) warning before it goes.

But at least the bottom is nice and level
http://www.systems4business.co.nz/im.../Picture14.jpg ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:34:36 GMT, Stuart Noble
mused:

wrote:

A.Lee coughed up some electrons that declared:

I ordered a tower last Friday, from he
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/towers_domestic.htm
I'm very taken by the telescopic ladders they also sell:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk//ladders_telescopic.htm

Anyone tried these?

Tim

I have seen surveyors around here when doing surveys taking them out
the car boot .

Christ, I've never seen a surveyor up a ladder!

They just take them out of the boot, they don't go up them.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A.Lee coughed up some electrons that declared:

I ordered a tower last Friday, from he
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/towers_domestic.htm
I'm very taken by the telescopic ladders they also sell:

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk//ladders_telescopic.htm

Anyone tried these?

Tim

I have seen surveyors around here when doing surveys taking them out
the car boot .

Christ, I've never seen a surveyor up a ladder!

Well it's mostly tenement flats so for top floors they probably have a
peek in to the loft space
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:31:41 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
This is how my tower with cantilevered section looked recently when
working over part of a neighbour's house.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0009.jpg

Yours appears to be putting torsional loading on the tower.. something
they are not designed for.
Their examples transfer the load to the structure beneath which is how
towers are designed to be used.
Just remember that when you start to load it.. epecially with an alloy
tower as there is little(no!) warning before it goes.

==================================
I'm aware of the possibility (and danger) of sideways loading on mine but
I prefer putting the loading onto the tower rather than on the roof as
suggested in the example shown in the OP's posting.

In fact my usage is substantially protected by ensuring that the main
horizontals butt up against the house wall as can *just* be seen in this
alternative view:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0011.jpg

A large wad of foam padding can be seen tied to the left hand end(s) of
the horizontal member.

My towers are steel and despite costing much less they're made from
heavier gauge than those in the OP's post. Mine are 42mm od 16g steel as
opposed to those in the advert - 32mm od 16g.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 13:01:43 +0100, Lurch wrote:

I'm very taken by the telescopic ladders they also sell:

Anyone tried these?

I have seen surveyors around here when doing surveys taking them out
the car boot .

Christ, I've never seen a surveyor up a ladder!

They just take them out of the boot, they don't go up them.

Can't go up 'em 'elf 'n safety. If they do it'll be to open the loft hatch
and shine a torch about. Certainly not to enter the loft, those elfs
again.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

scaffold towers best ones gort UK diy 4 August 6th 06 01:36 PM
Follow up to installing fan where there is no box or attic access [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 22nd 06 08:21 PM
Source for scaffolding towers? Lobster UK diy 15 September 3rd 04 06:09 PM
Ladder or scaffold arjay Home Repair 5 September 2nd 04 05:34 AM