Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Scaffold/access towers - follow-up

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:31:41 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
This is how my tower with cantilevered section looked recently when
working over part of a neighbour's house.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0009.jpg

Yours appears to be putting torsional loading on the tower.. something
they are not designed for.
Their examples transfer the load to the structure beneath which is how
towers are designed to be used.
Just remember that when you start to load it.. epecially with an alloy
tower as there is little(no!) warning before it goes.

==================================
I'm aware of the possibility (and danger) of sideways loading on mine but
I prefer putting the loading onto the tower rather than on the roof as
suggested in the example shown in the OP's posting.

In fact my usage is substantially protected by ensuring that the main
horizontals butt up against the house wall as can *just* be seen in this
alternative view:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0011.jpg

A large wad of foam padding can be seen tied to the left hand end(s) of
the horizontal member.

My towers are steel and despite costing much less they're made from
heavier gauge than those in the OP's post. Mine are 42mm od 16g steel as
opposed to those in the advert - 32mm od 16g.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux