Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to safely remove a fitted gas oven ?

is a novice trying to remove a fitted gas oven a good idea? or should I
get someone in? I don't have the installation instructions to refer to

--
dave @ stejonda
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave @ stejonda wrote:

is a novice trying to remove a fitted gas oven a good idea? or should I
get someone in? I don't have the installation instructions to refer to

It will probably have a bayonet connector, which makes it fairly simple
to remove for even a novice.

Note that if it is going to stay disconnected you ought to fit a cap on
the connector and not rely on the auto shut-off valve in the bayonet
fitting for permanent isolation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:
is a novice trying to remove a fitted gas oven a good idea? or
should I get someone in? I don't have the installation instructions
to refer to

It will probably have a bayonet connector, which makes it fairly simple
to remove for even a novice.

Thanks - I remember them from ages back but haven't had to get involved
with gas (other than using it) for a very long time - glad they still
exist

Note that if it is going to stay disconnected you ought to fit a cap on
the connector and not rely on the auto shut-off valve in the bayonet
fitting for permanent isolation.

So should I be able to just undo the screws at the front and pull the
unit out to get at the connections?

--
dave @ stejonda
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave @ stejonda wrote:

So should I be able to just undo the screws at the front and pull the
unit out to get at the connections?

Usually yes. If you think about it, without a flexible hose it would be
almost impossible to connect up otherwise since once the unit is in
place, you cant get to the connection.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:

So should I be able to just undo the screws at the front and pull the
unit out to get at the connections?

Usually yes. If you think about it, without a flexible hose it would be
almost impossible to connect up otherwise since once the unit is in
place, you cant get to the connection.

Thanks John - that is logical but since it involves mains gas (&
electricity) I wanted to be doubly sure before I started undoing things.

--
dave @ stejonda

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:

So should I be able to just undo the screws at the front and pull the
unit out to get at the connections?

Usually yes. If you think about it, without a flexible hose it would be
almost impossible to connect up otherwise since once the unit is in
place, you cant get to the connection.

ah, just a thought... might the pipe work have perished (assume the
cheapest choices will have been made - this was fitted for show not
longevity) - would it be a good idea to turn the gas off first (slightly
inconvenient)?

--
dave @ stejonda
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , John Rumm
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:

So should I be able to just undo the screws at the front and pull the
unit out to get at the connections?

Usually yes. If you think about it, without a flexible hose it would
be almost impossible to connect up otherwise since once the unit is in
place, you cant get to the connection.

ah, just a thought... might the pipe work have perished (assume the
cheapest choices will have been made - this was fitted for show not
longevity) - would it be a good idea to turn the gas off first (slightly
inconvenient)?

Its unlikely. The biggest pain is when the bayonet socket has not been
well supported. Then it is harder to undo the hose (which requires a
reasonable push toward the socket as you turn the locking ring) one
handed while supporting the oven in the other.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:

So should I be able to just undo the screws at the front and pull the
unit out to get at the connections?

Usually yes. If you think about it, without a flexible hose it would be
almost impossible to connect up otherwise since once the unit is in
place, you cant get to the connection.

Having undone the two screws the oven came out half way but no further.
Looking behind it using torch & mirror I can see that the gas pipework
is all copper tubing and it's been soldered in place.

How safe is gas piping to work with? I assume I'll need to turn off the
supply, open the taps and wait for a while (how long) before I can start
cutting the pipe?

Thanks again John,

--
dave @ stejonda
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave @ stejonda wrote:

Having undone the two screws the oven came out half way but no further.
Looking behind it using torch & mirror I can see that the gas pipework
is all copper tubing and it's been soldered in place.

What right into the oven? Unusual if it has. Can you get there to work
on it?

How safe is gas piping to work with? I assume I'll need to turn off the
supply, open the taps and wait for a while (how long) before I can start
cutting the pipe?

Assuming you turn off the gas, then it is generally safe to work with in
a domestic situation (i.e. the volume held in the pipes is small).

You would need to ideally uncouple a pipe rather than go cutting
straight away - unless you are planning to remake the pipework anyway. I
would be even more surprised if the pipework is actually soldered to the
oven - I would expect female BSP threaded socket on the oven. The
intention being that one would screw the non bayonet end of a flexi hose
into it. However it would be possible to screw a 15mm compression to
1/2" BSP taper union in, and then pipe it in copper (daft, but possible).

See if you can feel where the pipe joins the oven, and if you can get a
spanner to it should there be a nut on it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:

Having undone the two screws the oven came out half way but no
further. Looking behind it using torch & mirror I can see that the
gas pipework is all copper tubing and it's been soldered in place.

What right into the oven? Unusual if it has. Can you get there to work
on it?

the pipe bends horizontal into a slot at the top of the oven - I
couldn't see any connection the ~3" I could see inside with the torch &
mirror

I'll see if I can remove the top in some way...

How safe is gas piping to work with? I assume I'll need to turn off
the supply, open the taps and wait for a while (how long) before I
can start cutting the pipe?

Assuming you turn off the gas, then it is generally safe to work with
in a domestic situation (i.e. the volume held in the pipes is small).

You would need to ideally uncouple a pipe rather than go cutting
straight away - unless you are planning to remake the pipework anyway.
I would be even more surprised if the pipework is actually soldered to
the oven - I would expect female BSP threaded socket on the oven. The
intention being that one would screw the non bayonet end of a flexi
hose into it. However it would be possible to screw a 15mm compression
to 1/2" BSP taper union in, and then pipe it in copper (daft, but possible).

A lot of things I find in this house are daft, so I can't really trust
anything. I was patching up the sides of a ventilation hole with water
base filler a few years ago and was suddenly thrown back by sparks
flying off the spatula. The previous owner had left the ends of live
mains wiring sitting in the wall going nowhere & unmarked.

See if you can feel where the pipe joins the oven, and if you can get a
spanner to it should there be a nut on it.

Willdo.

--
dave @ stejonda

how to replace a fitted gas oven jives11 UK diy 4 August 8th 07 04:24 PM
Fitted oven Jack UK diy 2 July 22nd 04 07:43 PM
Fitted oven N. Thornton UK diy 8 April 15th 04 07:31 PM
advice require about wiring of fitted electric oven Davey P UK diy 7 October 31st 03 01:48 PM
Installing gas cooker/oven in fitted kitchen NikV UK diy 8 October 9th 03 02:11 PM