Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default how to safely remove a fitted gas oven ?

dave @ stejonda wrote:

Having undone the two screws the oven came out half way but no further.
Looking behind it using torch & mirror I can see that the gas pipework
is all copper tubing and it's been soldered in place.

What right into the oven? Unusual if it has. Can you get there to work
on it?

How safe is gas piping to work with? I assume I'll need to turn off the
supply, open the taps and wait for a while (how long) before I can start
cutting the pipe?

Assuming you turn off the gas, then it is generally safe to work with in
a domestic situation (i.e. the volume held in the pipes is small).

You would need to ideally uncouple a pipe rather than go cutting
straight away - unless you are planning to remake the pipework anyway. I
would be even more surprised if the pipework is actually soldered to the
oven - I would expect female BSP threaded socket on the oven. The
intention being that one would screw the non bayonet end of a flexi hose
into it. However it would be possible to screw a 15mm compression to
1/2" BSP taper union in, and then pipe it in copper (daft, but possible).

See if you can feel where the pipe joins the oven, and if you can get a
spanner to it should there be a nut on it.

--
Cheers,

John.