Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Seized mortice lock

Hi

A mortice lock on an external door which I hardly ever use has become
seized. I bet the problem is corrosion.

Anyway I've found out because now I want to use the door

I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to assist with some suggestions
to free up the lock?

Thank you.

--
Patrick - Hove, UK
If you wish email me from my web-site: http://www.patrickjames.me.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"patrick j" wrote in message
al.Net...
Hi

A mortice lock on an external door which I hardly ever use has become
seized. I bet the problem is corrosion.

Anyway I've found out because now I want to use the door

I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to assist with some suggestions
to free up the lock?

Thank you.

--
Patrick - Hove, UK
If you wish email me from my web-site: http://www.patrickjames.me.uk

If siezed whilst unlocked then remove and dismantle

If locked small angle grinder and 3 mm metal cutting disk between the door
and the frame to cut through lock bolt
then fit new lock

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"patrick j" wrote in message
al.Net...
Hi

A mortice lock on an external door which I hardly ever use has become
seized. I bet the problem is corrosion.

Anyway I've found out because now I want to use the door

I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to assist with some suggestions
to free up the lock?

Thank you.

Sometimes the door or the frame distorts jamming the lock bolt against the
edge of the keeper/striking plate.
Try pushing/pulling/lifting the door as you turn the key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"patrick j" wrote in message
al.Net...
Hi

A mortice lock on an external door which I hardly ever use has become
seized. I bet the problem is corrosion.

Anyway I've found out because now I want to use the door

I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to assist with some
suggestions
to free up the lock?

WD40?
Another solution would be to knock out the pins from the hinges and lift
the door away

the lock can them be removed

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:45:33 +0100, patrick j
wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to assist with some suggestions
to free up the lock?

Spray in WD40 (including a bit around the bolt and strike plate) and
leave an hour, put key in and try to open it. Don't use too much
force (especially if you only have one key). If lock doesn't open
spray in more WD40 and leave overnight. Repeat morning and night
until it opens or you decide more brute force methods are needed.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"patrick j" wrote in message
al.Net...
Hi

A mortice lock on an external door which I hardly ever use has become
seized. I bet the problem is corrosion.

Anyway I've found out because now I want to use the door

I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to assist with some
suggestions
to free up the lock?

WD40?
Another solution would be to knock out the pins from the hinges and lift
the door away

the lock can them be removed

The last jammed mortice I had, that wasn't an option....there were hinge
bolts!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message et
from patrick j contains these words:

A mortice lock on an external door which I hardly ever use has become
seized. I bet the problem is corrosion.

Anyway I've found out because now I want to use the door

I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to assist with some suggestions
to free up the lock?

I have a mortice lock that is a bit temperamental and jams when I try to
unlock it but I have found that the reason it jams is that when last
locked the levers didn't quite complete their full movement so if I
start by turning the key the wrong way I can then unlock the door. A
long shot I know but it is just possible you do have the same problem.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug, 21:48, Roger wrote:
The message et
from patrick j contains these words:

A mortice lock on an external door which I hardly ever use has become
seized. I bet the problem is corrosion.
Anyway I've found out because now I want to use the door
I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to assist with some suggestions
to free up the lock?

gentle hammer taps might help break up any corrosion, but its easy to
damage the lock.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi

A mortice lock on an external door which I hardly ever use has become
seized. I bet the problem is corrosion.

Anyway I've found out because now I want to use the door

I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to assist with some suggestions
to free up the lock?

Thank you.

I got locked in our downstairs lavatory because the spring broke on a
cheap 3-lever mortice lock (With a permanent "Bathroom" style
turnkey). This had permitted the deadbolt to slip sideways so it could
not be retracted back into the lock.

I got out when my son passed me a knife under the door which I used to
align the bolt which was visible from my side so it could be unlocked.

Other experiences with mortice locks which won't unlock incuded Chubb
7-lever mortice lock which occupy the same outline and profile as
their 5 lever locks, the levers just being that much thinner, *Hence
they wear*, eventually the key no longer reliably fits, and the
locksmith said his customers *always* disregard the minor warning
difficulties until they eventually get locked right out.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Peter Parry, Rebecca Bonnell wrote:
peter wrote:

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:45:33 +0100, patrick j
Spray in WD40 (including a bit around the bolt and strike plate) and
leave an hour, put key in and try to open it. Don't use too much
force (especially if you only have one key). If lock doesn't open
spray in more WD40 and leave overnight. Repeat morning and night
until it opens or you decide more brute force methods are needed.

A Huge Thank You for your advice I had this problem with my inner front
door to my flat and could see a major bill looming up then i Prayed about
it to GOD... and HE Directed me online to find this helpful site and then
i sprayed the WD40 ...ALOT, BOTH SIDES (Lucky i have a back door as i live
in a ground floor flat) then i went in search for my mallet hammer and
proceeded to vent my frustration on the area where the bolt is while tryng
to turn the key and then it gave and turned...WOW CHUFFED TO BITS TO SAY
THE LEAST...and the bolt got sprayed with WD40 several times while i
turned it back and forth, just to make sure that everthing was well
lubricated, as i don't want a repeat! Thank You Again.X

PRAISE OUR DEAR ALMIGHTY FATHER GOD/DEAR LORD JESUS CHRIST/DEAR HOLY
SPIRIT. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-12-01, Rebecca Bonnell wrote:

[22 lines snipped]

PRAISE OUR DEAR ALMIGHTY FATHER GOD/DEAR LORD JESUS CHRIST/DEAR HOLY
SPIRIT. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Take your imaginary sky fairy friend and shove it where the sun don't shine.

+1. We're all follows of Allah here. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

peter wrote:

[...]

I fear it was in fact Extreme Unction in that can and your lock is
headed for certain death. On the positive side, the church pretty much
abolished Limbo. Sadly, both Mumbo and Jumbo persist.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:

Sadly, both Mumbo and Jumbo persist.

I didn't realise any of the Marx brothers were still alive.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

Take your imaginary sky fairy friend and shove it where the sun don't shine.

AOL.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

Take your imaginary sky fairy friend and shove it where the sun
don't shine.

You mean that wasn't TMH after using a can of the classic old Evostik in
a confined space?

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 December 2015 13:44:07 UTC, Rebecca Bonnell wrote:
A Huge Thank You for your advice I had this problem with my inner front
door to my flat and could see a major bill looming up then i Prayed about
it to GOD... and HE Directed me online to find this helpful site

He did? Are you sure He didn't have a little help from Google?

Is Google doing the Lord's Work? Or is Google the work of Satan, dragging you in with enticing links to uk.d-i-y and then slowly he'll start tempting you to all those sinful websites God doesn't want you to look at? After a few weeks of nonchalantly typing in women diy lubricant Satan's gonna stop linking to sites about WD40 and sheds and fitted kitchens and start dangling links about coconut oil and sisterhood and before you know it your computer will be filled with girls doing things with power drills that involve a lot of screwing but not making shelves

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did not realise God made penetrating oil, you learn something every
day...:-)
But so many years ago..
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
peter wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

peter wrote:

[...]

Nice troll

Old troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2015 13:44, Rebecca Bonnell wrote:
and the bolt got sprayed with WD40 several times while i
turned it back and forth, just to make sure that everthing was well
lubricated, as i don't want a repeat!

Well, just in case this _isn't_ a troll - now you've got the door open
it is trivially easy to take the lock out (a couple of screws you can't
see when the door is shut, and take one of the handles off). You can
then clean it of all the Water Dispersing stuff in that WD40 (see where
the name comes from?) and lubricate it properly. Light oil would
probably do, but as has been mentioned graphite is better.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Which was that politicians wife who described having sex with her husband as
lying down when a wardrobe with the key in the lock fell on you?

Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Jonno" wrote in message
Brian-Gaff scribbled

Did not realise God made penetrating oil, you learn something every
day...:-)
But so many years ago..
Brian

Don't mention penetration, even obliquely. She'll be serving a pennance
for weeks for just reading your post.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2015 13:44, Rebecca Bonnell wrote:

PRAISE OUR DEAR ALMIGHTY FATHER GOD/DEAR LORD JESUS CHRIST/DEAR HOLY
SPIRIT. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Why? Did he tell you what to do, did he spray the lock with WD40?

No? Then why praise him?

Seized Bolt KinRsole UK diy 12 February 19th 07 05:46 PM
Tapered mortice W Canaday Woodworking 11 January 28th 06 02:07 PM
door lock mortice router [email protected] Woodworking 7 November 21st 05 08:49 PM
Mortice Locks John UK diy 24 September 6th 03 01:38 AM