Posted to rec.woodworking

Default door lock mortice router

hi
is there a router and jig to mortice for door locks (like the basta 2
lever locks)
or do i need a morticing machine?

Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG

I would not try to create the cavity for the mortise lock with a
router. If you are going to attempt it without the proper
(expensive) tool, you can do it the old fashioned way. Drill
multiple holes to the proper depth with an auger or a paddle bit.
Use an appropriate and sharp chisel to remove the webs to create
the mortise. The router with template would be a good method to
establish the case rim and scalp plate mortise.

The proper tool is he
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2846

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
hi
is there a router and jig to mortice for door locks (like the
basta 2
lever locks)
or do i need a morticing machine?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

wrote in message
oups.com...
hi
is there a router and jig to mortice for door locks (like the basta 2
lever locks)
or do i need a morticing machine?

What a silly question to ask of a group like this. "Do I need a morticing
machine?". Well of course - any new encounter requires a new machine to do
it properly.

I have in the past though, mortised more than a couple of these with a
simple chisel and hammer. It's not as bad of a job as you might at first
think.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

What a silly question to ask of a group like this. "Do I need a
morticing
machine?". Well of course - any new encounter requires a new machine
to do
why is that a silly question?