Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher purchase for school

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

Cheers.

No greasy pans then?

Heavy handed teachers?

I would go for cheapness and assume it might need replacing after 4 years.

Select on basis of layout of baskets and their suitability for your purpose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:16:49 GMT, EricP
wrote:

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

Cheers.

*sighs* in the old days we used to get to do the teachers washing up.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-20 17:16:49 +0100, EricP said:

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

Cheers.

Miele would be a good choice for this. No quality issue, 5 year
warranty and impeccable service.

I have one of the models where the machine will do a half load - i.e.
one basket only - which may be useful here.

More to the point is that most models come with a variety of rack
inserts which can be moved, swapped or left out entirely. If you
wanted to, you could easily fill the entire machine with mugs and cups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

Cheers.

Having been there look at

length of wash program - if the machine is loaded at the end of break
will the mugs be washed by lunch? This is I think the critical factor.
The Primary school I work in has about 50 staff and the latest
staffroom refurb has seen the installation of 2 domestic dishwashers.
Don't think about commercial models as they wash quickly-10 mins or so
(but less than half the amount of a domestic machine) but need cleaning
out at the end of every day - they retain hot water which helps in the
short wash time. IME you will need someone who is dedicated to doing this.

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:16:49 GMT, EricP
mused:

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

I've seen plenty of dishwashers in semi-commercial environments and
almost all of them have a reasonably short lifespan. You really want
to be looking at commercial machines. Failing that, buy the best you
can, Miele would be good or failing that a mid range Bosch without all
the extra electronics. Don't buy cheap.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:16:49 GMT, EricP
mused:

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

I've seen plenty of dishwashers in semi-commercial environments and
almost all of them have a reasonably short lifespan. You really want
to be looking at commercial machines. Failing that, buy the best you
can, Miele would be good or failing that a mid range Bosch without all
the extra electronics. Don't buy cheap.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Think outside of the box - get disposable cups!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:58:16 GMT, "John"
wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:16:49 GMT, EricP
mused:

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

I've seen plenty of dishwashers in semi-commercial environments and
almost all of them have a reasonably short lifespan. You really want
to be looking at commercial machines. Failing that, buy the best you
can, Miele would be good or failing that a mid range Bosch without all
the extra electronics. Don't buy cheap.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Think outside of the box - get disposable cups!

And disposable occasional plates. Most occasional plates in that sort
of environment tend to be substitutes for polystyrene or paper
packaging anyway...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 21, 4:16 am, EricP wrote:
I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

The Fisher & Paykel Dishdrawer has two separate drawers. One can have
clean cups in it and dirty cups are put in the other until it's full.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/module...wcontent&id=40

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:16:49 GMT, EricP
mused:

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

I've seen plenty of dishwashers in semi-commercial environments and
almost all of them have a reasonably short lifespan. You really want
to be looking at commercial machines. Failing that, buy the best you
can, Miele would be good or failing that a mid range Bosch without all
the extra electronics. Don't buy cheap.

And forget the 10 year guarantee if they find out its being used in a non
domestic environment.
Like when they send the engineer out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

On 2007-07-20 17:16:49 +0100, EricP said:

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

Cheers.

Miele would be a good choice for this. No quality issue, 5 year
warranty and impeccable service.

I have one of the models where the machine will do a half load - i.e.
one basket only - which may be useful here.

More to the point is that most models come with a variety of rack
inserts which can be moved, swapped or left out entirely. If you
wanted to, you could easily fill the entire machine with mugs and cups.

I recently bought a Siemens DW that does all of that from John Lewis for
350UKP delivered - not sure about service though. And it seems to be far
better made than the Zanussi it's replaced, and (if it matters) it's
quiet and has a 'triple A' energy rating.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:38:45 +0100, Rob wrote:

I recently bought a Siemens DW that does all of that from John Lewis for
350UKP delivered - not sure about service though. And it seems to be far
better made than the Zanussi it's replaced, and (if it matters) it's
quiet and has a 'triple A' energy rating.

What's 'triple A'? I thought energy ratings were A to G...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:35:26 +0100, Frank Erskine
mused:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:38:45 +0100, Rob wrote:

I recently bought a Siemens DW that does all of that from John Lewis for
350UKP delivered - not sure about service though. And it seems to be far
better made than the Zanussi it's replaced, and (if it matters) it's
quiet and has a 'triple A' energy rating.

What's 'triple A'? I thought energy ratings were A to G...

They were, but then someone made a machine more efficient than an A,
so 'AA' was brought about, then someone madew a machine more efficient
than 'AA'.... and so on.....
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

Cheers.

*sighs* in the old days we used to get to do the teachers washing up.

WHAT???

You can't expect today's teachers to spend precious seconds rinsing out
their own cups!

Mary
whose Spouse's staff room beakers - everyone's - were apparently tar-lined
and there were no ill effects.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mogga wrote:
*sighs* in the old days we used to get to do the teachers washing up.

and I suspect that the carefully-dissected rabbits in Biology ended up in
the Biology teacher's casserole.

Ours went into the formalin chests along with rats, dogfish and
unidentifiable - er - things.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-21 08:00:39 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:16:49 GMT, EricP
mused:

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Any informed opinions welcome.
Mielle comes to mind?

I've seen plenty of dishwashers in semi-commercial environments and
almost all of them have a reasonably short lifespan. You really want
to be looking at commercial machines. Failing that, buy the best you
can, Miele would be good or failing that a mid range Bosch without all
the extra electronics. Don't buy cheap.

And forget the 10 year guarantee if they find out its being used in a non
domestic environment.
Like when they send the engineer out.

Yes and no.

Guarantees on DWs are not normally for more than 5 years - I think they
have a more agressive life because of temperature and chemicals than
washing machines for example.

It is very common to see good quality domestic dishwashers used in
kitchen areas of offices in countries elsewhere in Europe, especially
Germany and Sweden precisely for this application. Usually, they are
loaded up by the staff during the day as cups and plates are used and
run once or twice a day by the cleaner or the office administrator.
Pattern of use is really similar to domestic in fact.

A while ago, I did ask one of the administrators in a company that I
visited about the dishwasher because it was on my list of possibles at
the time. I asked about warranty and how that worked. The comment
was that she had wondered as well and checked with the manufacturer.
They confirmed back in writing that there would be no problem for this
type of use, but that they would draw the line if the unit were
installed in a commercial catering kitchen.

Of course, warranty terms and conditions do vary from country to
country and manufacturer to manufacturer, but I would not automatically
assume that a warranty would be void in this application. The prudent
thing would be to ask the manufacturer directly and to get a written
confirmation.

Then if the answer is no, a view can be taken as to whether the
warranty is a purchasing criterion or not. Even without an honoured
warranty for 5 years, it still makes sense to buy one where the
manufacturer offers this on the product for home use, vs. the two year
warranty of most. It means that it will have been engineered to
last this time. On large products like dishwashers, manufacturers (or
really the insurers) don't want to have service callouts and certainly
not replacements during the warranty period. It's a different issue
to small portable items where the manufacturer is playing the numbers
game and expects a certain proportion of items to be returned, binned
and replaced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:09:10 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

whose Spouse's staff room beakers - everyone's - were apparently tar-lined
and there were no ill effects.

tannin lined I'd have thought.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:16:49 GMT someone who may be EricP
wrote this:-

I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day.

You need to define the number of staff in order to make the most
important decision, the size of the dishwasher.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
... I suspect that the carefully-dissected rabbits in Biology ended up in
the Biology teacher's casserole.

Ours went into the formalin chests along with rats, dogfish and
unidentifiable - er - things.

We weren't allowed unidentifiable things. We had to look at them until we
identified them :-(

Owain

Then you ate them?

:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

whose Spouse's staff room beakers - everyone's - were apparently tar-lined
and there were no ill effects.

tannin lined I'd have thought.

Much thicker than that :-)

They never had a de-coke!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:22:10 +0100, Owain wrote:

EricP wrote:
I have been asked for advice on purchase of a dishwasher for the
school staff room. Cups/mugs and occasional plate with about three
uses a day. Reliability is more important than price.

Most domestic ones will have limited mug capacity. A commercial machine
with a choice of baskets might be more useful.

Buy enough mugs so that it can always be run fully loaded.

Especially for a commercial machine you may require an external water
softener.

For the commercial units the reliability will be excellent and with
serious backup service available. I'd recommend the Winterhalter as I
have installed a couple as they are reliable and have integral softeners.
£2000 should get you one.

However it sounds like your usage would be more domestic in its scope, the
Bosch is said to be OK. Or you could go for the disposable indesit or the
top domestic Miele or AEG.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lurch
writes
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:35:26 +0100, Frank Erskine
mused:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:38:45 +0100, Rob wrote:

I recently bought a Siemens DW that does all of that from John Lewis for
350UKP delivered - not sure about service though. And it seems to be far
better made than the Zanussi it's replaced, and (if it matters) it's
quiet and has a 'triple A' energy rating.

What's 'triple A'? I thought energy ratings were A to G...

They were, but then someone made a machine more efficient than an A,
so 'AA' was brought about, then someone madew a machine more efficient
than 'AA'.... and so on.....

No, that can't be correct

more efficient than A is DD

.... or "Double Drivel" for appliances with an efficiency of greater than
100%

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-21 20:47:21 +0100, raden said:

In message , Lurch
writes
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:35:26 +0100, Frank Erskine
mused:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:38:45 +0100, Rob wrote:

I recently bought a Siemens DW that does all of that from John Lewis for
350UKP delivered - not sure about service though. And it seems to be far
better made than the Zanussi it's replaced, and (if it matters) it's
quiet and has a 'triple A' energy rating.

What's 'triple A'? I thought energy ratings were A to G...

They were, but then someone made a machine more efficient than an A,
so 'AA' was brought about, then someone madew a machine more efficient
than 'AA'.... and so on.....

No, that can't be correct

more efficient than A is DD

... or "Double Drivel" for appliances with an efficiency of greater than 100%

Oh. I thought DD was for something else....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:16:01 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

On 2007-07-21 20:47:21 +0100, raden said:

In message , Lurch
writes
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:35:26 +0100, Frank Erskine
mused:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:38:45 +0100, Rob wrote:

I recently bought a Siemens DW that does all of that from John Lewis for
350UKP delivered - not sure about service though. And it seems to be far
better made than the Zanussi it's replaced, and (if it matters) it's
quiet and has a 'triple A' energy rating.

What's 'triple A'? I thought energy ratings were A to G...

They were, but then someone made a machine more efficient than an A,
so 'AA' was brought about, then someone madew a machine more efficient
than 'AA'.... and so on.....

No, that can't be correct

more efficient than A is DD

... or "Double Drivel" for appliances with an efficiency of greater than 100%

Oh. I thought DD was for something else....

If, like me, the first thing you thought of was DD-WRT you need to get
out more.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-07-21 20:47:21 +0100, raden said:

In message , Lurch
writes

wrote:

I recently bought a Siemens DW that does all of that from John
Lewis for
350UKP delivered - not sure about service though. And it seems to be far
better made than the Zanussi it's replaced, and (if it matters) it's
quiet and has a 'triple A' energy rating.

What's 'triple A'? I thought energy ratings were A to G...
They were, but then someone made a machine more efficient than an

so 'AA' was brought about, then someone madew a machine more efficient
than 'AA'.... and so on.....

No, that can't be correct
more efficient than A is DD
... or "Double Drivel" for appliances with an efficiency of greater
than 100%

Oh. I thought DD was for something else....

Not since the advent of silicone

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Lurch
writes
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:35:26 +0100, Frank Erskine
mused:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:38:45 +0100, Rob wrote:

I recently bought a Siemens DW that does all of that from John Lewis for
350UKP delivered - not sure about service though. And it seems to be far
better made than the Zanussi it's replaced, and (if it matters) it's
quiet and has a 'triple A' energy rating.

What's 'triple A'? I thought energy ratings were A to G...

They were, but then someone made a machine more efficient than an A,
so 'AA' was brought about, then someone madew a machine more efficient
than 'AA'.... and so on.....

No, that can't be correct

more efficient than A is DD

... or "Double Drivel" for appliances with an efficiency of greater than
100%

Maxie, have you got a handle on your flatulence yet? Do you still pass bowl
wind very loudly at no notice whatsoever to adjacent people? Are they used
to it by now?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:38:45 +0100, Rob wrote:

I recently bought a Siemens DW that does all of that from John Lewis for
350UKP delivered - not sure about service though. And it seems to be far
better made than the Zanussi it's replaced, and (if it matters) it's
quiet and has a 'triple A' energy rating.

What's 'triple A'? I thought energy ratings were A to G...

I *think* it might be a reference to water use, water heating and drying
- all As in the dishwasher world, but pretty abysmal in the scheme of
actually washing up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 21 Jul,
Lurch wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:16:01 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

Oh. I thought DD was for something else....

If, like me, the first thing you thought of was DD-WRT you need to get
out more.

Isn't it cup size?

Which is of course related to the OP's question - presumably if the staff
use bigger cups they'll need a bigger dishwasher..

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-21 21:33:03 +0100, Lurch said:

If, like me, the first thing you thought of was DD-WRT you need to get
out more.

Oh dear. Yes indeed.

I'm more familiar with IOS personally.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
wrote in message
On 21 Jul,
Lurch wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:16:01 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

Oh. I thought DD was for something else....

If, like me, the first thing you thought of was DD-WRT you need to get
out more.

Isn't it cup size?

Which is of course related to the OP's question - presumably if the staff
use bigger cups they'll need a bigger dishwasher..

In my experience they use mugs/beakers and have their own designs on them -
cartoons, names, patterns, photographs ... it would be terrible if someone
used your cup!

I was telling Spouse about this over dinner tonight. He said that at his
last school (a large one) the Staff Association paid for someone to come in,
make tea or coffee for the staff and wash up afterwards. It worked very
well, he said it was great to have a ready drink on arrival at school, at
break and lunchtime. the woman who did it appreciated the extra income.

Mary

cheers,
clive

Help with school project. [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 6th 07 05:07 PM
Trade school west Electronics 5 December 27th 06 11:33 PM
Old School Gloat [email protected] Woodworking 10 October 29th 05 04:54 AM
A sad day at school. Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 26 March 9th 05 05:05 AM
MDF being cut at school with no masks? T i m UK diy 17 November 17th 04 03:01 PM