Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Trade school

My uncle went to a good electronic trade school over 30 years ago using a
slide rule. What are the differences in the courses today, if he would take
that 2 year program over again? Thank you.

Bill

Posted to alt.electronics

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:07:21 GMT, "west" wrote:

My uncle went to a good electronic trade school over 30 years ago using a
slide rule. What are the differences in the courses today, if he would take
that 2 year program over again? Thank you.

Bill

like:

He'd be using a calculator now?

Some things never change (basics, theory, etc.) but other stuff has
moved a million miles in 30 years. His intro course might be
recognizable, but I suspect most of the practical stuff woudl be
totally different.

Posted to alt.electronics

west wrote:
My uncle went to a good electronic trade school over 30 years ago using a
slide rule. What are the differences in the courses today, if he would take
that 2 year program over again? Thank you.

Bill

Vacuum tube theory has been dropped. Transistor theory has been dropped.
Now it's logic flow and black boxes. Logic probes are out. No more
troubleshooting down to the chip/pin. Just change the black box or card
and throw it away, no more repairs. Electronics has been dummied down to
the common idiot to repair. Red light comes on, swap the card. Lots of
ESD control now. Safety, safety until you are sick to death.
Posted to alt.electronics

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:39:23 GMT, "Roddy Meatstick.............."
wrote:

west wrote:
My uncle went to a good electronic trade school over 30 years ago using a
slide rule. What are the differences in the courses today, if he would take
that 2 year program over again? Thank you.

Bill

Vacuum tube theory has been dropped. Transistor theory has been dropped.
Now it's logic flow and black boxes. Logic probes are out. No more
troubleshooting down to the chip/pin. Just change the black box or card
and throw it away, no more repairs. Electronics has been dummied down to
the common idiot to repair. Red light comes on, swap the card. Lots of
ESD control now. Safety, safety until you are sick to death.

I think a good part of that depends on whether the OP wants to
understand the theory or just be able to fix things... g

If he wants to understand *how* things work, then I'd definately say
that transistors, logic probes, logic analizers, etc. are important to
know and understand.

But... Though kinda nice to know and understand, vacuum tubes are not
necessary! The final holdout (the CRT) is now gasping it's last
breath, and soon the vacuum tube will be truely a part of history! In
my new electronics book, I figure about 1 page of the almost 800 pages
will be vacuum tube oriented (more a history lesson!)
Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:

west wrote:
[...]

What book is that? Also, You should read the threads on rec.audio.tubes, you
might feel different about tubes. They are a passion among many audiophiles.

Cordially,
west

Posted to alt.electronics

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:44:02 GMT, "west" wrote:

But... Though kinda nice to know and understand, vacuum tubes are not
necessary! The final holdout (the CRT) is now gasping it's last
breath, and soon the vacuum tube will be truely a part of history! In
my new electronics book, I figure about 1 page of the almost 800 pages
will be vacuum tube oriented (more a history lesson!)

What book is that? Also, You should read the threads on rec.audio.tubes, you
might feel different about tubes. They are a passion among many audiophiles.

Cordially,

Electronics All-in-One Reference for Dummies.

And I do know about the audiophile passion for tubes! Do I ever know.

Years ago, a noted audiophile magazine compared tube and solid state
equipment. Seemed that some could tell when the tube stuff was being
used (every time, too.)

Then the magazine pulled a couple of tricks: they add some tube
distortion to the solid state amplifiers. They added a trace of hum.

At that point none of those who could tell before were able to hear
any difference between tubes and solid state!

However, I do know (and love) tubes, I grew up (and old) with them,
and see their magic... And, in some ways they were easier to
understand than transistors. OTOH, tubes were *hot* (many a burn),
used incredible voltages (many a bang), and not terribly reliable.

enzhou Taitong import & export trade Co., Ltd. is a stock-company specializing in the import & export trade that approved by the Ministry of Foreign Economic Relations and Trade of People's Republic of China. The company registered capital is [email protected] UK diy 6 August 15th 06 01:46 AM
Printmking For High School J T Woodworking 0 August 2nd 06 07:54 PM
Old School Gloat [email protected] Woodworking 10 October 29th 05 04:54 AM
New DIY show - Trade School [email protected] Woodworking 2 April 13th 05 09:24 PM
A sad day at school. Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 26 March 9th 05 05:05 AM