Wideass

Default Soot in Loft / Earlex Combivac

Searching this group for the old "soot in loft" problem has turned up
a recommendation for the Earlex Combivac (seems to be about 39 quid at
Argos).

I've scooped up most of the soot by hand (slowly to stop it spreading
too much) and I would like to get rid of as much as possible of the
remainder.

Does anyone have first hand experience of this sort of job? Does much
soot get blown about by vacuuming? I assume that soot is not
considered an "explosive dust" (Earlex say not to use the Combivac
with coal dust).
David W.E. Roberts

"Wideass" wrote in message
om...
Searching this group for the old "soot in loft" problem has turned up
a recommendation for the Earlex Combivac (seems to be about 39 quid at
Argos).

I've scooped up most of the soot by hand (slowly to stop it spreading
too much) and I would like to get rid of as much as possible of the
remainder.

Does anyone have first hand experience of this sort of job? Does much
soot get blown about by vacuuming? I assume that soot is not
considered an "explosive dust" (Earlex say not to use the Combivac
with coal dust).

I would think that soot is probably quite similar to coal dust - unburnt
carbon particles plus tar etc.

Soot certainly burns on a fire.

OTOH flour is an 'explosive dust' - most have probably seen the demo where
flour is blown into a tin which contains a lit candle, and the lid blows
off. The occasional flour mill has blown up as well.

Fine sawdust must also be flamable, if not explosive.

I would have thought that any vacuum cleaner would suck up soot in much the
same way that it dealt with anything else - about to find out as a load of
soot has fallen down the chimney and I am having difficulty opening the flap
on top of my log burner because of the soot on top.

Let us know how you get on :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"David W.E. Roberts" writes:

I would have thought that any vacuum cleaner would suck up soot in much the
same way that it dealt with anything else - about to find out as a load of
soot has fallen down the chimney and I am having difficulty opening the flap
on top of my log burner because of the soot on top.

Actually soot is a problem for vacuum cleaner bags because soot particles
are extremely small and sticky. If they don't clog the bag very quickly,
they are passing right through it. I would suggest doing two things...
Don't empty the bag before sucking up soot -- the dust in the bag will
trap some of the soot making the bag last longer, and if your vacuum
cleaner has an outlet which can be coupled to another hose, do so and
dangle the end of the outlet outdoors so you don't just blow the soot
which passes through the bag into the air inside the house. The bag will
be wrecked by the soot and you will have to replace it afterwards.
(Don't even think of using a vacuum cleaner with a permanent fabric bag,
soot will go straight through it and wreck it;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
David W.E. Roberts

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"David W.E. Roberts" writes:

[...]

Should be no problem for a Dyson then :-)

Peter Ashby

In article ,
Ben Edgington wrote:

The Earlex was fine for the job. But I recommend ear defenders. It
is the noisiest DIY tool I possess. And wear a dust mask.

A tip Andy Dingley gave me. If you can source another hose, the wide
bore hose kit is a good choice, and attach it to the outlet port in
place of the elbow it cuts the noise down enormously. I no longer wear
ear defenders when using my Eearlex by itself, and my orbital sander now
makes more noise. The Wickes version of the hose will do.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.

No access to loft space. Mike Hibbert UK diy 4 August 31st 03 07:19 PM
Loft insulation Conrad Edwards UK diy 0 August 25th 03 09:57 PM
Loft door hardware Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 25th 03 12:50 AM
Power to loft. Spur of 60A shower feed? Will Cooke UK diy 1 August 5th 03 12:15 AM
Fitting A Loft Ladder Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 14th 03 06:10 PM