Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trunking (coiled)

Hello All

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

And/or does B&Q stock it, or the non-coiled 3m length stuff (16x16mm,
16x25mm)?

Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
Used the coiled stuff once or twice ok IF the room temp is right ,too cold
and it is a pain to stop coiling back up.
Far easier to use the standard stuff (if you can get it in the car) as for
your second question yes they do (or at least my local branch does) along
with most electrical wholesalers.
HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:
Hello All

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

And/or does B&Q stock it, or the non-coiled 3m length stuff (16x16mm,
16x25mm)?

Ta.

I have used a quantity of the similar product from Screwfix. Like other
self adhesive trunking it needs nailing/screwing at intervals, depending
on the surface it is attached to. As it is initially fixed flat on the
surface nailing is an option. For long runs it is easier to fix than
2/3M lengths of standard trunking. The one caveat is that the profile
of the trunking/cap join does not always fit the corner pieces sold for
conventional trunking.

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hello All

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

And/or does B&Q stock it, or the non-coiled 3m length stuff (16x16mm,
16x25mm)?

If you're buying the normal 3m length stuff try a local electrical factors
over B&Q. B&Q wanted 3x or 4x as much per length as my local factor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hello All

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

Only once and never again. In the end I ripped it all off and used
conventional trunking.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:08:44 +0100, "Grumps"
wrote:

Hello All

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

Yes, once and never again. Absolute crap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello All

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

Yes, once and never again. Absolute crap.

Oh, a rider on this would be that I would use it for trunking I wanted
to bury inside a wall or floor when later access for new cables might
be required. This is purely because a long reel of semi floppy stuff
is more convenient to handle than rigid stuff. Just a personal
opinion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:02:56 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar"
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

Only once and never again. In the end I ripped it all off and used
conventional trunking.

Your posting would be more interesting if you stated why. Ditto for
the other poster who has made a similar assertion.

Then others could consider the advantages and disadvantages.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-17 16:23:10 +0100, David Hansen
said:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:02:56 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar"
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

Only

once and never again. In the end I ripped it all off and used
conventional trunking.

Your posting would be more interesting if you stated why. Ditto for
the other poster who has made a similar assertion.

Then others could consider the advantages and disadvantages.

It's simple enough.

- The double sided sticky tape is fairly poor

- The trunking has a tendency to curl

These two result in a likelihood of the trunking pinging away from the
wall. That can be handled by using screws. However, if one is going
to do that, it's better to use the conventional stuff.

- It is dimensionally different to fittings for equivalent standard trunking.

Is the word "****e" part of the Edinburgh green vocabulary? It is
organic after all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:50:46 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

- The double sided sticky tape is fairly poor

It is available with and without sticky tape. Personally I would not
bother with the sticky tape variety but fasten it to the wall with
nails or screws. Before the sides are clipped up nails are a doddle,
as another poster has indicated.

- The trunking has a tendency to curl

Not after the sides have been clipped up.

However, the lid can be a problem in some batches where the grips
are not strong enough.

- It is dimensionally different to fittings for equivalent standard trunking.

Not a great problem. There are suitable corners and the like
available.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

be required. This is purely because a long reel of semi floppy stuff
is more convenient to handle than rigid stuff

Oh err.... As the bishop said to the actress!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:17:52 +0100, "SantaUK"
wrote:

be required. This is purely because a long reel of semi floppy stuff
is more convenient to handle than rigid stuff

Oh err.... As the bishop said to the actress!

ROFL!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-17 17:33:01 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

- The double sided sticky tape is fairly poor

It is available with and without sticky tape. Personally I would not
bother with the sticky tape variety but fasten it to the wall with
nails or screws. Before the sides are clipped up nails are a doddle,
as another poster has indicated.

If you are going to do that, then it is better to use the already
moulded stuff in the first place

- The trunking has a tendency to curl

Not after the sides have been clipped up.

Don't you believe it. It then twists instead.

However, the lid can be a problem in some batches where the grips
are not strong enough.

Especially after the trunking itself has warped and twisted

- It is dimensionally different to fittings for equivalent standard trunking.

Not a great problem. There are suitable corners and the like
available.

Rather stupid when it would have been perfectly simple to have made it
to the standard size.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:02:56 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar"
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

Only once and never again. In the end I ripped it all off and used
conventional trunking.

Your posting would be more interesting if you stated why. Ditto for
the other poster who has made a similar assertion.

Then others could consider the advantages and disadvantages.

It is difficult to use - constantly wanting to return to its flattened
rolled up form - and looks crap.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:55:32 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

On 2007-07-17 17:33:01 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

[...]

There is usually a very slight difference between most makes of
trunking and manufactured bend covers. I have a large box with 4 or 5
different manufacturers fittings in and some will fit on trunking of a
different make, some won't.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-17 17:33:01 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

[...]

Even more useless than I thought, although perhaps not since the
manufacturer can then obtain a product lock in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:55:32 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

It is available with and without sticky tape. Personally I would not
bother with the sticky tape variety but fasten it to the wall with
nails or screws. Before the sides are clipped up nails are a doddle,
as another poster has indicated.

If you are going to do that, then it is better to use the already
moulded stuff in the first place

Nailing the already moulded stuff is rather more difficult. Note
carefully that I didn't say impossible, just rather more difficult.

- The trunking has a tendency to curl

Not after the sides have been clipped up.

Don't you believe it. It then twists instead.

Not in my experience.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:24:34 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar"
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-

It is difficult to use - constantly wanting to return to its flattened
rolled up form

See my other postings about this.

and looks crap.

How does the finished product look different to any other sort of
mini-trunking?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 05:24:52 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

- It is dimensionally different to fittings for equivalent standard trunking.

Not a great problem. There are suitable corners and the like
available.

Rather stupid when it would have been perfectly simple to have made it
to the standard size.

There is usually a very slight difference between most makes of
trunking and manufactured bend covers. I have a large box with 4 or 5
different manufacturers fittings in and some will fit on trunking of a
different make, some won't.

Even more useless than I thought, although perhaps not since the
manufacturer can then obtain a product lock in.

Yeah, although I only use 2 brands and buy in bulk, nothing to do with
bend covers either.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 09:44:34 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

It is available with and without sticky tape. Personally I would not
bother with the sticky tape variety but fasten it to the wall with
nails or screws. Before the sides are clipped up nails are a doddle,
as another poster has indicated.

If you are going to do that, then it is better to use the already
moulded stuff in the first place

Nailing the already moulded stuff is rather more difficult. Note
carefully that I didn't say impossible, just rather more difficult.

- The trunking has a tendency to curl

Not after the sides have been clipped up.

Don't you believe it. It then twists instead.

Not in my experience.

It must be colder in your part of the country.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:28:06 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

Don't you believe it. It then twists instead.

Not in my experience.

It must be colder in your part of the country.

Nice try. Of course if it is warmer in your country then that would
make the trunking softer and thus less likely to twist.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 11:48:17 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

Don't you believe it. It then twists instead.

Not in my experience.

It must be colder in your part of the country.

Nice try. Of course if it is warmer in your country then that would
make the trunking softer and thus less likely to twist.

So there must be some other explanation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:28:11 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

On 2007-07-18 11:48:17 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

Don't you believe it. It then twists instead.

Not in my experience.

It must be colder in your part of the country.

Nice try. Of course if it is warmer in your country then that would
make the trunking softer and thus less likely to twist.

So there must be some other explanation.

Maybe it really is just crap?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 11:48:17 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

Don't you believe it. It then twists instead.

Not in my experience.

It must be colder in your part of the country.

Nice try. Of course if it is warmer in your country then that would
make the trunking softer and thus less likely to twist.

So there must be some other explanation.

Maybe it really is just crap?

Either that or perhaps they dip it in whisky to passify it in the
northern region

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Hansen" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:24:34 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar"
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-

It is difficult to use - constantly wanting to return to its flattened
rolled up form

See my other postings about this.

Your experiences seem to differ from mine and those of other posters.

and looks crap.

How does the finished product look different to any other sort of
mini-trunking?

If you can't see the difference, I suppose it won't worry you that it
doesn't give as neat a finish as extruded trunking.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:20:14 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar"
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-

Your experiences seem to differ from mine and those of other posters.

It would be very boring if everyone had the same experiences.

How does the finished product look different to any other sort of
mini-trunking?

If you can't see the difference,

There is no difference.

Of course if both sorts are not installed properly then they will
not look as neat. The ways in which they don't look as neat vary,
but they both don't look neat.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:
Hello All

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

And/or does B&Q stock it, or the non-coiled 3m length stuff (16x16mm,
16x25mm)?

Ta.

Talking of the non-coiled trunking (16 and 25mm), how flexible is it? Will
it bend enough to be transported in your 'average' car?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:10:27 +0100, "Grumps"
mused:

Grumps wrote:
Hello All

Has anyone here used this stuff:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html

And/or does B&Q stock it, or the non-coiled 3m length stuff (16x16mm,
16x25mm)?

Ta.

Talking of the non-coiled trunking (16 and 25mm), how flexible is it? Will
it bend enough to be transported in your 'average' car?

Yeah, but it does tend to retain some of its bendiness if it's left in
there for a while.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grumps" wrote in message
snip

Talking of the non-coiled trunking (16 and 25mm), how flexible is
it? Will it bend enough to be transported in your 'average' car?

Well what is an average car these days, Ford Ka - no, Ford Fiesta or
Vauxhall Nova - probably not, Vauxhall Vectra - yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Hansen" wrote in message
How does the finished product look different to any other sort of
mini-trunking?

If you can't see the difference,

There is no difference.

There is to me.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:52:41 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar"
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-

If you can't see the difference,

There is no difference.

There is to me.

Repeatedly asserting that there is a difference to the finished
appearance is not a convincing argument.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:52:41 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar"
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-

If you can't see the difference,

There is no difference.

There is to me.

Repeatedly asserting that there is a difference to the finished
appearance is not a convincing argument.

Denying that there is any difference, simply because you cannot see any,
does not change the fact that I can.

Colin Bignell

Coiled plastic pipe. Stanley UK diy 6 February 22nd 07 05:01 PM
Skirting trunking? Nigel Molesworth UK diy 1 January 18th 06 04:27 PM
straigning coiled wire [email protected] Metalworking 9 August 24th 05 04:18 PM
MDF electrical trunking ?? brugnospamsia UK diy 14 February 4th 05 12:49 AM
SHIT WARNING: Harbor freight coiled PVC air hose Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 15 January 17th 05 10:32 PM