Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coiled plastic pipe.

I am plumbing in a series of water butts to a tap by the greenhouse and have
bought a 15 metre coil of 15mm easyplumb pipe.

I want to lay it in a straight line.

It wants to remain in a coil.

Before I waste a load of time on the job ........ any suggestions as to how
to straighten it?

Is it as simple as running hot (55degC) water through it?

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stanley wrote:

Is it as simple as running hot (55degC) water through it?

Hotter than that.

You really need to get it up to around 80C, then straighten it and hold
it straight as it cools.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message

Hotter than that.

You really need to get it up to around 80C, then straighten it and hold it
straight as it cools.

Would blowing steam through it be too hot and deform it? It's only going to
be used at about 4 feet of head so the ability to resist pressure is not
critical. Shape is important though as I will want to be able to fit it into
elbows etc.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stanley wrote:

Would blowing steam through it be too hot and deform it? It's only going to
be used at about 4 feet of head so the ability to resist pressure is not
critical. Shape is important though as I will want to be able to fit it into
elbows etc.

Depends how hot the steam is :-)

I've straightened pipe by pouring hot water (out of the kettle) through
it, and by baking in the oven. Both methods work fine and don't damage
the pipe.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stanley" wrote in message
I am plumbing in a series of water butts to a tap by the greenhouse and

have
bought a 15 metre coil of 15mm easyplumb pipe.

I want to lay it in a straight line.

It wants to remain in a coil.

Before I waste a load of time on the job ........ any suggestions as to

how
to straighten it?

Is it as simple as running hot (55degC) water through it?

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Attach it to a wallpaper steam stripper if you can,sorted in no time.

The hose that comes with steam strippers is a bugger to straighten when cold
but soon as the steam has passed through it, softens the coiled hose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
k...

Attach it to a wallpaper steam stripper if you can,sorted in no time.

The hose that comes with steam strippers is a bugger to straighten when
cold
but soon as the steam has passed through it, softens the coiled hose.

Thank you both for the information. Great help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stanley" wrote in message

Would blowing steam through it be too hot and deform it? It's only going
to be used at about 4 feet of head so the ability to resist pressure is
not critical. Shape is important though as I will want to be able to fit
it into elbows etc.

Well if appearance is important then fair enough but the bend shouldn't stop
you fitting it into an elbow and putting the elbow where you want.
Otherwise jobs would never get done with coils. If straightness is so
important try to return the coil and get 3m or 6m straight lengths instead.

Jim A

Plastic pipe Maccy D UK diy 9 January 23rd 07 06:47 PM
Which plastic pipe? [email protected] UK diy 3 May 1st 06 12:58 AM
straigning coiled wire [email protected] Metalworking 9 August 24th 05 04:18 PM
Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join Darren UK diy 2 October 12th 04 09:49 PM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM