Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl jigsaw next Thurs, any good?

Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-06 15:13:43 +0100, Pete C said:

Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

cheers,
Pete.

It's a complete waste of time to buy any jigsaw other than a
professional one (minimum about £80) unless you just want something to
hack out rough holes in things that won't be on show.

Take a look at the FAQ on jigsaws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C wrote:
Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

cheers,
Pete.

Oh, I don't believe this
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

cheers,
Pete.

Hmmm! same orbital sander as Aldi only green and £10 more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

cheers,
Pete.

In the bin no doubt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

I looked at that last time it was on offer. It looks a substantial piece of
kit. Well made and sturdy. I would say with a good sharp blade it would not
wander.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 07:13:43 -0700, Pete C
wrote:

Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

cheers,
Pete.

Regardless of the item, never buy anything of any complexity from Lidl
unless you like a hard fight to get it replaced/refunded if it fails.
Aldi are exactly the opposite and refund without question.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jul, 15:13, Pete C wrote:

Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

cheers,
Pete.

jiigsaws are the one tool where cheap stuff should be avoided. IME
theyre so bad theyre almost useless.

If its for gen purp cutting and no curves, get a circular saw.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

On 2007-07-06 15:13:43 +0100, Pete C said:

Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

cheers,
Pete.

It's a complete waste of time to buy any jigsaw other than a
professional one (minimum about £80) unless you just want something to
hack out rough holes in things that won't be on show.

Take a look at the FAQ on jigsaws.

I've got a cheapie (20UKP B&D IIRC) and it's done sterling service over
the last 10 years - cutting floorboards, shelves and such.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C wrote:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

You know the answer to that...

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

Looking at the picture it actually looks better than many of the basic
ones, since it appears to have a cast base plate which is good, and it
also has a pendulum action. I can't see from the picture if it has blade
support rollers.

You can tell a lot the moment you switch it on by the amount of vibration.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 7:45 pm, John Rumm wrote:
Pete C wrote:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

You know the answer to that...

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

Looking at the picture it actually looks better than many of the basic
ones, since it appears to have a cast base plate which is good, and it
also has a pendulum action. I can't see from the picture if it has blade
support rollers.

You can tell a lot the moment you switch it on by the amount of vibration.

But the big thing until you get to use one, is the blade type,
availability and expense.

If quality blades will fit in it buy one. You can't go wrong at the
price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C wrote:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

You know the answer to that...

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

Looking at the picture it actually looks better than many of the basic
ones, since it appears to have a cast base plate which is good, and it
also has a pendulum action. I can't see from the picture if it has blade
support rollers.

You can tell a lot the moment you switch it on by the amount of vibration.

But the big thing until you get to use one, is the blade type,
availability and expense.

If quality blades will fit in it buy one. You can't go wrong at the
price.

Yes you can.

The blade is but one piece of the jigsaw (to borrow an expression).

The rest is the design and engineering of the mechanism. Doing that
properly, is not a cheap exercise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-06 21:58:19 +0100, Weatherlawyer

Pete C wrote:
[...]

THAT jigsaw is very well made indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C wrote:
[...]

It's heartening to read of intellectual standards being maintained.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-06 21:58:19 +0100, Weatherlawyer said:
.

The blade is but one piece of the jigsaw (to borrow an expression).

The rest is the design and engineering of the mechanism. Doing that
properly, is not a cheap exercise.

THAT jigsaw is very well made indeed.

No it isn't. It isn't even possible to hold the thing properly, let
alone use it properly. Look at the photograph

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-06 22:45:02 +0100, Weatherlawyer

On 2007-07-06 21:58:19 +0100, Weatherlawyer

Pete C wrote:
[...]

I fully agree. I totally agreed with him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-06 21:58:19 +0100, Weatherlawyer
said:
.

The blade is but one piece of the jigsaw (to borrow an expression).

The rest is the design and engineering of the mechanism. Doing that
properly, is not a cheap exercise.

THAT jigsaw is very well made indeed.

No it isn't.

Matt it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-06 21:58:19 +0100, Weatherlawyer said:
.

The blade is but one piece of the jigsaw (to borrow an expression).

The rest is the design and engineering of the mechanism. Doing that
properly, is not a cheap exercise.

THAT jigsaw is very well made indeed.

No it isn't.

Matt it is.

Oh well, in that case, go and buy one for your plumbing toolkit. You
will be able to do far more damage far more quickly than with the
hacksaw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

The safety trainers seem worth a look.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-06 21:58:19 +0100, Weatherlawyer
said:
.

The blade is but one piece of the jigsaw (to borrow an expression).

The rest is the design and engineering of the mechanism. Doing that
properly, is not a cheap exercise.

THAT jigsaw is very well made indeed.

No it isn't.

Matt it is.

Oh well, in that case, go and buy one for your plumbing toolkit. You
will be able to do far more damage far more quickly than with the hacksaw.

Believe me Matt it can do lots of damage in your hands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-06 23:37:42 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

wrote:

Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

The safety trainers seem worth a look.

Could be, but watch out for the EN standard to which they are made and
whether or not there is some protection in the sole.

Remember you can injure yourself by standing on a nail in a piece of
wood just as easily as dropping something on it - actually inwhat you
do, more likely the former.

I had real trouble finding some in the size I need and eventually found
some DW ones quite inexpensively at Lawson HIS (I think it was). They
are pretty comfortable and I have to be a little careful about footwear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-06 21:58:19 +0100, Weatherlawyer said:
.

The blade is but one piece of the jigsaw (to borrow an expression).

The rest is the design and engineering of the mechanism. Doing that
properly, is not a cheap exercise.

THAT jigsaw is very well made indeed.

No it isn't.

Matt it is.

Oh well, in that case, go and buy one for your plumbing toolkit. You
will be able to do far more damage far more quickly than with the
hacksaw.

Believe me Matt it can do lots of damage in your hands.

Ever thought of wearing gloves when doing that kind of thing.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-06 23:37:42 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

wrote:

Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

The safety trainers seem worth a look.

Could be, but watch out for the EN standard to which they are made and
whether or not there is some protection in the sole.

Remember you can injure yourself by standing on a nail in a piece of wood
just as easily as dropping something on it - actually inwhat you do, more
likely the former.

I had real trouble finding some in the size

Matt, do you have big plate of meat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:58:19 -0700, Weatherlawyer
wrote:

If quality blades will fit in it buy one.

What are "quality" blades?

Superb quality?
Good quality?
Medium quality?
Indifferent quality?
Low quality?
Bad quality?

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If quality blades will fit in it buy one.

What are "quality" blades?

Superb quality?
Good quality?
Medium quality?
Indifferent quality?
Low quality?
Bad quality?

--
Frank Erskine

Must be Superb quality, as it takes Bosch type blades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

reenews.net...

wrote:

If quality blades will fit in it buy one.

What are "quality" blades?

Superb quality?
Good quality?
Medium quality?
Indifferent quality?
Low quality?
Bad quality?

Best quality?

A friend bought one to cut out a worktop for sink/drainer, it worked better
than my Bosch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

The rest is the design and engineering of the mechanism. Doing that
properly, is not a cheap exercise.

**** off.

It's heartening to read of intellectual standards being maintained.

I don't know, I thought it one of his more coherent postings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I looked at that last time it was on offer. It looks a substantial piece
of kit. Well made and sturdy. I would say with a good sharp blade it
would not wander.

Can you buy blunt blades? I suppose you must be able to given the number
of these cheap jigsaws that wander...

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rob wrote:
It's a complete waste of time to buy any jigsaw other than a
professional one (minimum about £80) unless you just want something to
hack out rough holes in things that won't be on show.

Take a look at the FAQ on jigsaws.

I've got a cheapie (20UKP B&D IIRC) and it's done sterling service over
the last 10 years - cutting floorboards, shelves and such.

I also had a cheapie for many years which did sterling service. Only when
replacing it with a decent one did I realise just how inaccurate it was.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
THAT jigsaw is very well made indeed.

You can tell that by looking at it?
Say no more. The uk.d-i-y 'expert' has spoken.

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Pete C wrote:
Hi

Here it is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070712.p.Jigsaw.ar1

Is it as good as a Makita???

Seriously though, if anyone has one, I'd be interested to know how
they find it.

You'll likely get the usual speculation from those who haven't got one so
I'll add to that...

Lidl tools are always good *value* - better than the sheds.

If you don't own a jigsaw it is likely to satisfy - any jigsaw is useful
for rough work.

It's also unlikely to be as good as a decent make - the accuracy of a
jigsaw when cutting thick materials, ie the cut staying at right angles -
seems very much to depend on price. But that price is likely to be many
times more for a good one.

One thing that delights with my expensive one over my cheap one is that
you can change the blades quickly with no tools needed.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
Pete C wrote:
[...]

It has the same type of quick change system system as Bosch for blade
replacement and uses Bosch blades as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
I looked at that last time it was on offer. It looks a substantial
piece
of kit. Well made and sturdy. I would say with a good sharp blade
it
would not wander.

Can you buy blunt blades? I suppose you must be able to given the
number
of these cheap jigsaws that wander...

Perhaps not blunt out of the packet but there sure are cheaply made
blades that blunt very quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If quality blades will fit in it buy one.

What are "quality" blades?

Superb quality?
Good quality?
Medium quality?
Indifferent quality?
Low quality?
Bad quality?

Best quality?

A friend bought one to cut out a worktop for sink/drainer, it worked
better than my Bosch.

That I can believe. It is VERY well made and very solid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
I looked at that last time it was on offer. It looks a substantial piece
of kit. Well made and sturdy. I would say with a good sharp blade it
would not wander.

Can

Please eff off as you are a worthless idiot troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
THAT jigsaw is very well made indeed.

You

Please eff off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rob wrote:
It's a complete waste of time to buy any jigsaw other than a
professional one (minimum about £80) unless you just want something to
hack out rough holes in things that won't be on show.

Take a look at the FAQ on jigsaws.

I've got a cheapie (20UKP B&D IIRC) and it's done sterling service over
the last 10 years - cutting floorboards, shelves and such.

I also had a cheapie for many years which did sterling service. Only when
replacing it with a decent one did I realise just how inaccurate it was.

Yes, I have to say I wouldn't use it on anything 'edge critical'.

Reminder - Woodcraft 10% Off Sale Thurs 7-27 JBD in Denver Woodworking 0 July 27th 06 02:36 AM
SDS @ Lidl cupra UK diy 0 July 13th 06 12:15 PM
Jigsaw Blades: Einhell EPST 710W Jigsaw Cw Laser 44.720.42 AMO UK diy 4 July 8th 06 05:23 PM
Lidl again! David Lang UK diy 35 July 28th 05 10:48 PM
DIY at Lidl Mary Fisher UK diy 1 January 20th 05 02:34 PM