Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Sodastream - minor success

After several months of less than satisfactory 'fizz' from our Gemini drinks
maker and a few attempts at fixing it, I've finally worked out what was
wrong. The central spike that injects CO2 into the water had come a little
loose. Not enough to notice, but enough to let gas escape and preventing it
from getting enough pressure to dissolve in the water. Tightened it up and
it now fizzes and farts properly.

It's worth documenting!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"OG" wrote in message
After several months of less than satisfactory 'fizz' from our Gemini
drinks maker and a few attempts at fixing it, I've finally worked out what
was wrong. The central spike that injects CO2 into the water had come a
little loose. Not enough to notice, but enough to let gas escape and
preventing it from getting enough pressure to dissolve in the water.
Tightened it up and it now fizzes and farts properly.

It's worth documenting!

Oooh Ta for that.
Ours is a little low on the fizzing and farting production too...
goes to check

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"OG" writes:
After several months of less than satisfactory 'fizz' from our Gemini drinks
maker and a few attempts at fixing it, I've finally worked out what was
wrong. The central spike that injects CO2 into the water had come a little
loose. Not enough to notice, but enough to let gas escape and preventing it
from getting enough pressure to dissolve in the water. Tightened it up and
it now fizzes and farts properly.

It's worth documenting!

Gosh. We had one of those in the early 1970's...
Didn't know they still existed.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"OG" writes:
After several months of less than satisfactory 'fizz' from our Gemini
drinks
maker and a few attempts at fixing it, I've finally worked out what was
wrong. The central spike that injects CO2 into the water had come a
little
loose. Not enough to notice, but enough to let gas escape and preventing
it
from getting enough pressure to dissolve in the water. Tightened it up
and
it now fizzes and farts properly.

It's worth documenting!

Gosh. We had one of those in the early 1970's...
Didn't know they still existed.

We now buy the 2 litre bottles of ready fizzed filtered water from Tesco's
for 17p.

If you take account of the fact that the water is already filtered and had
the majority of chlorine removed I think this works out cheaper than the
soda stream.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:53:03 +0100, "Icky Thwacket" wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
"OG" writes:
[...]

Is the environmental impact more though with the transportation of all
those bottles and plastic?
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Mogga" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:53:03 +0100, "Icky Thwacket" wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"OG" writes:
[...]

Also the lack of fizz by the time you get to the end of the bottle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

Default Sodastream - minor success...More info

"OG" writes:
After several months of less than satisfactory 'fizz' from our Gemini
drinks
maker and a few attempts at fixing it, I've finally worked out what was
wrong. The central spike that injects CO2 into the water had come a
little
loose. Not enough to notice, but enough to let gas escape and preventing
it
from getting enough pressure to dissolve in the water. Tightened it up
and
it now fizzes and farts properly.

It's worth documenting!

Gosh. We had one of those in the early 1970's...
Didn't know they still existed.

They have a good website.
They are very quick on delivery for concentrate.
Loads of flavours (I have around 7 of them)
Gas is available round our way at Tesco's.

Also the carbonated water is great for making *THE* lightest batter for
Yorky Puds and anything else that needs a light coating, like Tempura Prawns
etc.

Boot fairs are the best place for old Gas bottles that makes it cheaper to
have a few spares around (Got 4 of em for 50p)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 00:39:28 +0100, wrote:

We now buy the 2 litre bottles of ready fizzed filtered water from
Tesco's for 17p.

If you take account of the fact that the water is already filtered and
had the majority of chlorine removed I think this works out cheaper than
the soda stream.

Is the environmental impact more though with the transportation of all
those bottles and plastic?

I'm looking for one that hasn't the nasty artificial sweeteners (that need
quick access to bog) in. Certainly the 2 litre for 17-p contain these. Is
there a sodastream type concentrate that has no artificial sweeteners?

I thought the fizzy water was just water

Tesco Value Sparkling Springwater 2 Litres is 17p
Says nowt about having anything in it.

Tesco Value Still Water 2 Litre Bottle is also 17p
Name Per Serving Per 100g
Calcium 133.4mg 78.0mg
Magnesium 50.0mg 18.0mg
Potassium 1.0mg 1.0mg
Sodium 13g 13g
Chloride 26mg 26mg
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 1, 1:07 am, "Martin Crossley"

SNIP

I'm looking for one that hasn't the nasty artificial sweeteners (that
need quick access to bog) in. Certainly the 2 litre for 17-p contain
these. Is there a sodastream type concentrate that has no artificial
sweeteners?

Ordinary Vimto is OK in a Sodastream.

The point being that all you put in a sodastream is *water*. You can
use *any* concentrate you like to add the flavour after gassing.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" wrote in message
After several months of less than satisfactory 'fizz' from our Gemini
drinks maker and a few attempts at fixing it, I've finally worked out what
was wrong. The central spike that injects CO2 into the water had come a
little loose. Not enough to notice, but enough to let gas escape and
preventing it from getting enough pressure to dissolve in the water.
Tightened it up and it now fizzes and farts properly.

It's worth documenting!

Ahhhh the sodastream was a fantastic toy. I never tired of putting the
concentrate into the bottle before fizzing, then handing it to a relative to
"fizz". Oh how I laughed every time when fizzy sticky crap came firing out
of all possible exists on the sodastream container....

Them were the days...

Cheers
dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 19:39:17 UTC, "Dan delaMare-Lyon"
wrote:

"OG" wrote in message
After several months of less than satisfactory 'fizz' from our Gemini
drinks maker and a few attempts at fixing it, I've finally worked out what
was wrong. The central spike that injects CO2 into the water had come a
little loose. Not enough to notice, but enough to let gas escape and
preventing it from getting enough pressure to dissolve in the water.
Tightened it up and it now fizzes and farts properly.

It's worth documenting!

Ahhhh the sodastream was a fantastic toy. I never tired of putting the
concentrate into the bottle before fizzing, then handing it to a relative to
"fizz". Oh how I laughed every time when fizzy sticky crap came firing out
of all possible exists on the sodastream container....

We got one of the very first Sodastreams free, because my dad worked for
Kenwood. Quite a novelty down our way!

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in
:

wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

Hate to say I do.

Good for making champagne out of plonk

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in
:

wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

Hate to say I do.

Good for making champagne out of plonk

I wasn't old enough to know that wheeze, but I certainly do recall them!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

wrote:

"OG" wrote in message
[...]

Yes - weren't they the ornament of every classy (and would be) household in
the 60's?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jul 2007 21:04:07 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you
exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On 14 Jul 2007 21:04:07 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you
exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

Sadly, I have to admit that I recall those! Where's my zimmer? Who moved
that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:15:49 UTC, Frank Erskine
wrote:

On 14 Jul 2007 21:04:07 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you
exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

I think they're still around...mainly in small pubs etc.
http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:18:57 UTC, "clot" wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:
On 14 Jul 2007 21:04:07 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you
exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

Sadly, I have to admit that I recall those! Where's my zimmer? Who moved
that!

In was using those when I worked in a college bar in the mid 1970s.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On 14 Jul 2007 21:04:07 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you
exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

Sadly, I have to admit that I recall those! Where's my zimmer? Who
moved that!

In was using those when I worked in a college bar in the mid 1970s.

Crumbs, I thought that they'd gone by that time. B*gg*r, she's moved my
zimmer again. I never left it there!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On 14 Jul 2007 21:04:07 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you
exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

Sadly, I have to admit that I recall those! Where's my zimmer? Who
moved that!

In was using those when I worked in a college bar in the mid 1970s.

Crumbs, I thought that they'd gone by that time. B*gg*r, she's moved my
zimmer again. I never left it there!

It was a very small bar. It was enlarged (and moved) in 1977, and we got
those hose abominations that are combined with concentrate to dispense
mixers.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bob Eager" writes:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

Yes.
I remember stamping on the little sparkets bombs -- you
caught it with just the edge of your shoe, which set it
of spinning very fast and they stood up on end and went
wizzing off like a spinning top.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking
badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you
exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

Sadly, I have to admit that I recall those! Where's my zimmer? Who
moved that!

In was using those when I worked in a college bar in the mid 1970s.

Crumbs, I thought that they'd gone by that time. B*gg*r, she's moved
my zimmer again. I never left it there!

It was a very small bar. It was enlarged (and moved) in 1977, and we
got those hose abominations that are combined with concentrate to
dispense mixers.

Yuch! I used to use those things at a local sports club when doing
voluntary bar duty in the '80's. They're gone now thank goodness!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On 14 Jul 2007 21:04:07 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you
exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

--
Frank Erskine

As young teenagers we would nick the empties from the back of a pub and take
them round to the front and get the five bob deposit on them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-14 23:15:49 +0100, Frank Erskine
said:

On 14 Jul 2007 21:04:07 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you
exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

Some years ago we inherited one of the early siphons that used bulbs
(possibly dating back to the 30s, perhaps later). This one was
glass with a criss-cross mesh of wires over it presumably to strengthen
it.

At any rate, needing some spares for it, we contacted BOC who were the
manufacturers at the time. One could still get all the spares - the
main one being a rubber washer for the top with a dip tube. They
offered us a brand new siphon free of charge because they were looking
for original siphons for their museum. Offer was politely declined

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:39:13 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2007-07-14 23:15:49 +0100, Frank Erskine
said:

On 14 Jul 2007 21:04:07 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

I just chucked mine away a few weeks ago. It started leaking badly.

Much earlier even than those were glass soda siphons which you
exchanged for full ones at the 'chemists' or the off-licence.

Some years ago we inherited one of the early siphons that used bulbs
(possibly dating back to the 30s, perhaps later). This one was
glass with a criss-cross mesh of wires over it presumably to strengthen
it.

We have one of those in the 'props' store of a theatre with which I'm
involved. The bulb fitting is quite a lot smaller than the later
'standard' for which you can still get bits.

At any rate, needing some spares for it, we contacted BOC who were the
manufacturers at the time. One could still get all the spares - the
main one being a rubber washer for the top with a dip tube. They
offered us a brand new siphon free of charge because they were looking
for original siphons for their museum. Offer was politely declined

Back to the non-user-refillable ones, about 15 years ago I tried to
exchange one for my Dad (a fair swap?!) and was told that they'd been
discontinued, so Mum is lumbered with a useless lump of glass. It's
possible that somewhere some small enterprise is still refilling
these.
Schweppes was one of the firms that refilled siphons.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Bob Eager wrote:
Anyone remember the much earlier Sparklets syphons?

Yes, was originally my grandfather's -- he liked gadgets. Finally threw
it out about a year ago, there appeared to be a rubber seal somewhere in
the mechanism that had perished so it would never hold a charge.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

"OG" wrote in message
[...]

I think I have two up in the loft

I remember the even older wire reinforced glass ones which my
grandparents used to have - factory refilled IIRC and you exchanged the
full for the empty

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:15:16 GMT, raden wrote:

I remember the even older wire reinforced glass ones which my
grandparents used to have - factory refilled IIRC and you exchanged the
full for the empty

One can still get them like that, at least in Munich. Last one down:

http://www.pachmayr.de/index.php?file=sortiment&cat=5

The €49.50 is the deposit on six.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:15:16 GMT, raden wrote:

I remember the even older wire reinforced glass ones which my
grandparents used to have - factory refilled IIRC and you exchanged the
full for the empty

One can still get them like that, at least in Munich. Last one down:

http://www.pachmayr.de/index.php?file=sortiment&cat=5

The ‚¬49.50 is the deposit on six.

Ja, Aberrrrrr....

Just as cheap to buy a crate of Loewenbraeu (curses, no umlaut) -
(Kriminalwasser mit farbstoff)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:34:23 GMT, raden wrote:

Ja, Aberrrrrr....

Just as cheap to buy a crate of Loewenbraeu (curses, no umlaut) -
(Kriminalwasser mit farbstoff)

Much less comic value. Can't chase anyone with a Löwenbräu, but with a siphon!

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:34:23 GMT, raden wrote:

Ja, Aberrrrrr....

Just as cheap to buy a crate of Loewenbraeu (curses, no umlaut) -
(Kriminalwasser mit farbstoff)

Much less comic value. Can't chase anyone with a Löwenbräu, but with a siphon!

Of course you can, shake it with your thumb over the hole - you could
soak everyone up to 5 metres away

.... and its sticky

--
geoff

STORY OF SUCCESS... [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 29th 07 03:35 PM
B&Q sponsor success [email protected] UK diy 9 March 16th 05 08:20 PM
Ingenius Success Alvin Home Ownership 0 January 13th 05 02:56 PM
Success! Dave Jackson Woodworking 1 December 20th 04 07:40 AM
A Little Success Artemia Salina Metalworking 2 September 10th 04 03:47 AM