Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drywall screws

A very simple short question for you....

What size drywall screws should I use if Im building a partition wall
with 47 x 75mm timber and 12mm plasterboard?

My guess would be so the screw goes at least halfway into the timber,
so approx 40mm length screws?

any advice, as always much appreciated!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 28, 12:31 pm, Thomarse wrote:
A very simple short question for you....

What size drywall screws should I use if Im building a partition wall
with 47 x 75mm timber and 12mm plasterboard?

My guess would be so the screw goes at least halfway into the timber,
so approx 40mm length screws?

any advice, as always much appreciated!

Just remembered the other part of my question.. what size screws would
I need to attach the soleplates etc to floors and walls and the studs
and noggins to the frame?

Thanks again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
A very simple short question for you....

What size drywall screws should I use if Im building a partition wall
with 47 x 75mm timber and 12mm plasterboard?

My guess would be so the screw goes at least halfway into the timber,
so approx 40mm length screws?

any advice, as always much appreciated!

Consider how little force is needed to rip the plasterboard off the
screws entirely, and rethink your assumption that it needs to go halfway
into the timber.

20mm is more than enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse said the following on 28/06/2007 12:35:
On Jun 28, 12:31 pm, Thomarse wrote:
A very simple short question for you....

What size drywall screws should I use if Im building a partition wall
with 47 x 75mm timber and 12mm plasterboard?

My guess would be so the screw goes at least halfway into the timber,
so approx 40mm length screws?

any advice, as always much appreciated!

Just remembered the other part of my question.. what size screws would
I need to attach the soleplates etc to floors and walls and the studs
and noggins to the frame?

Thanks again

Have a look at this:-

http://www.lafargeplasterboard.co.uk...n/default.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 28, 1:04 pm, Rumble wrote:
Thomarse said the following on 28/06/2007 12:35:

On Jun 28, 12:31 pm, Thomarse wrote:
A very simple short question for you....

What size drywall screws should I use if Im building a partition wall
with 47 x 75mm timber and 12mm plasterboard?

My guess would be so the screw goes at least halfway into the timber,
so approx 40mm length screws?

any advice, as always much appreciated!

Just remembered the other part of my question.. what size screws would
I need to attach the soleplates etc to floors and walls and the studs
and noggins to the frame?

Thanks again

Have a look at this:-

http://www.lafargeplasterboard.co.uk..._specifica...- Hide quoted text -

good point philosopher... I'm just too keen to make things as strong
as possible.. my common sense gets left behind sometimes!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
On Jun 28, 1:04 pm, Rumble wrote:
Thomarse said the following on 28/06/2007 12:35:

On Jun 28, 12:31 pm, Thomarse wrote:
A very simple short question for you....
What size drywall screws should I use if Im building a partition wall
with 47 x 75mm timber and 12mm plasterboard?
My guess would be so the screw goes at least halfway into the timber,
so approx 40mm length screws?
any advice, as always much appreciated!
Just remembered the other part of my question.. what size screws would
I need to attach the soleplates etc to floors and walls and the studs
and noggins to the frame?
Thanks again

Have a look at this:-

http://www.lafargeplasterboard.co.uk..._specifica...- Hide quoted text -

good point philosopher... I'm just too keen to make things as strong
as possible.. my common sense gets left behind sometimes!

An inch into wood, and an inch and a half into masonry is what I aim for
with size 8 screws
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Thomarse wrote:
On Jun 28, 1:04 pm, Rumble wrote:
[...]

indeed, if the screw tearing out of the substrate before breaking is the
aim..

OTOH you hold paper to a wall with just wallpaper paste ;-)_

I've used 4" screws into masonry to hold a TV stand up..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
On Jun 28, 12:31 pm, Thomarse wrote:
A very simple short question for you....

What size drywall screws should I use if Im building a partition wall
with 47 x 75mm timber and 12mm plasterboard?

My guess would be so the screw goes at least halfway into the timber,
so approx 40mm length screws?

yup, 40 will be fine. (you would probably get away with 30mm as well)

Use the correct bits on your driver:

You can use a higher speed with drywall screws than you would with other
types.

Just remembered the other part of my question.. what size screws would
I need to attach the soleplates etc to floors and walls and the studs
and noggins to the frame?

Noggings to frame would be 4" 12 gauge. The sole plate and head rail,
only need retaining from lateral movement, so you can use something
shorter like 3".

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jun, 12:42, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Thomarse wrote:
A very simple short question for you....

What size drywall screws should I use if Im building a partition wall
with 47 x 75mm timber and 12mm plasterboard?

My guess would be so the screw goes at least halfway into the timber,
so approx 40mm length screws?

any advice, as always much appreciated!

Consider how little force is needed to rip the plasterboard off the
screws entirely, and rethink your assumption that it needs to go halfway
into the timber.

20mm is more than enough.

yes, it just needs to hold it. 3/4" into the timber is plenty.
12+19=32mm. Longer wont really gain you anything in real terms, and
will just make the work take a bit longer, and give you less screws
per charge if using codless.

NT