Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RIP Wickes

Andy Hall wrote:

Also, builders merchants are not open evenings or Sundays which are the
most convenient time for me and they also don't tend to have big displays
of things (handy for the "I want a thingy wotsit" type shopping trip).

I pick mid mornings and mid afternoons during weekdays to go to the
merchants; same thing for the odd occasions that I go to DIY stores,
slthough I may go to one of those shortly befor closing. I avoid
weekends at them like the plague - too many people browsing, wandering
about aimlessly and too many small kids running about and getting in
the way. They should be left at home.

Not practical when your other half insists on coming too to help choose
the paint/wallpaper/tile colour/style/pattern/brand etc, etc. The kids
don't want to be there either remember.

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
chris French wrote:
In message , Andy Hall writes
too many small kids running about and getting in the way. They should
be left at home.

If I had to leave my kids at home when I went out to get stuff, I'd
often net have the chance to go

Excellent. Get someone else to go for you and save others the 'pleasure'
of your kids. ;-)

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-21 09:07:45 +0100, chris French
said:

In message , Andy Hall writes
too many small kids running about and getting in the way. They should
be left at home.

If I had to leave my kids at home when I went out to get stuff, I'd
often net have the chance to go

I suspect that you keep them under reasonable control, though.

Apart from the inconvenience to other customers of little kids running
underfoot, there is a significant safety issue. People are wheeling
carts around with long, pointed and heavy items.

It would be sensible if the stores had an area to park small kids who
are otherwise going to be bored within 30mS and then start acting up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-21 09:35:10 +0100, (Peter Ashby) said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Also, builders merchants are not open evenings or Sundays which are the
most convenient time for me and they also don't tend to have big
displays
of things (handy for the "I want a thingy wotsit" type shopping trip).

I pick mid mornings and mid afternoons during weekdays to go to the
merchants; same thing for the odd occasions that I go to DIY stores,
slthough I may go to one of those shortly befor closing. I avoid
weekends at them like the plague - too many people browsing, wandering
about aimlessly and too many small kids running about and getting in
the way. They should be left at home.

Not practical when your other half insists on coming too to help choose
the paint/wallpaper/tile colour/style/pattern/brand etc, etc. The kids
don't want to be there either remember.

Peter

Exactly. Which is why it's not fair on other shoppers to have
misbehaving small kids running around and getting underfoot. If
somebody has a card loaded up with sheet materials, lengths of pipe and
other items that can cause injury, it isn't reasonable to expect them to
have to keep stopping and starting and manoeuvring around kids running
about out of control.

Sounds like a fairly typical British attitude to children. They're
always in the way, stopping us important people from getting on with the
jolly urgent task of tarting our house up. If they did heelies in my
size, I'd have a scoot round Homebase and hopefully make it a more
pleasurable experience

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-21 11:39:06 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-06-21 09:35:10 +0100, (Peter Ashby) said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Not really. It's more of a view about parents who don't make sure that
their children behave appropriately. It isn't appropriate, from the
safety perspective to have small ones belting around the aisles of DIY
supermarkets which is why there are recorded announcements pointing
this out. I don't have a problem with kids actually *being* there,
just about how some parents don't manage the situation properly. As I
said, the stores are also culpable for not providing appropriate
facilities.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-21 11:39:06 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-06-21 09:35:10 +0100, (Peter Ashby)
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

But what are appropriate facilities for kids? A bouncy castle maybe? I
think treating them like some kind of alien species that has to be
specially catered for is part of the problem. Dad should go to Homebase
on his own until the kids are old enough to be interested in the
exercise. Mine still aren't, and they're in their 30s...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-21 12:43:04 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

But what are appropriate facilities for kids? A bouncy castle maybe? I
think treating them like some kind of alien species that has to be
specially catered for is part of the problem.

I tend to agree with you - it's the parents that need to deal with the
issue. However, in the absence of that, there should be something to
at least ensure their safety.

Dad should go to Homebase on his own until the kids are old enough to
be interested in the exercise.

Certainly

Mine still aren't, and they're in their 30s...

I blame the schools. Where are the woodworking and metalworking
classes? Replaced with other poncy stuff which is neither use nor
ornament.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

But what are appropriate facilities for kids? A bouncy castle maybe? I
think treating them like some kind of alien species that has to be
specially catered for is part of the problem.

I tend to agree with you - it's the parents that need to deal with the
issue. However, in the absence of that, there should be something to
at least ensure their safety.

Indeed they should.

Preferably a security guard to escort the irresponsible "parents", complete
with their ill-behaved crotchfruit, to the door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-21 12:43:04 +0100, Stuart Noble
said:

But what are appropriate facilities for kids? A bouncy castle maybe? I
think treating them like some kind of alien species that has to be
specially catered for is part of the problem.

I tend to agree with you - it's the parents that need to deal with the
issue. However, in the absence of that, there should be something to
at least ensure their safety.

Dad should go to Homebase on his own until the kids are old enough to
be interested in the exercise.

Certainly

Unless it's to choose paint colours, where mum must go....alone.

Mine still aren't, and they're in their 30s...

I blame the schools. Where are the woodworking and metalworking
classes? Replaced with other poncy stuff which is neither use nor
ornament.

Well, it was music *or* woodwork at my kids' comprehensive school.
Difficult one for me as a parent because one of them now makes his
living at music, and the other one still does it as an all consuming
hobby. I prefer woodwork myself, but then I went to a grammar school :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Sounds like a fairly typical British attitude to children. They're
always in the way, stopping us important people from getting on with the
jolly urgent task of tarting our house up. If they did heelies in my
size, I'd have a scoot round Homebase and hopefully make it a more
pleasurable experience

That sounds like a typical British attitude to not giving a f**k about
inconveniencing others. Stop your car in the middle of the road because
you're dropping off the little darlings and all their clobber - even with
a parking space a few yards away. Use disabled parking in a carpark rather
than walk another few yards.

Young kids are no different to dogs. If they aren't old enough and
trained enough to behave in a reasonable way in a risky public place like
a DIY store they should be restrained for their safety as well as others.

Bring back reigns for toddlers, I say. As well as the birch for the older
ones who think only themselves matter. (insert smiley here or not as you
wish)

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I blame the schools. Where are the woodworking and metalworking
classes? Replaced with other poncy stuff which is neither use nor
ornament.

Woodworking and metalwork for toddlers? Think H&S would have something to
say...

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
[...]

Eminently sensible things, so unlikely they'll make a comeback

I say. As well as the birch for the older
ones who think only themselves matter. (insert smiley here or not as you
wish)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Bring back reigns for toddlers,

Eminently sensible things, so unlikely they'll make a comeback

Strangely I did them being used recently - by I assume a mum (or could
have been a nanny) on a busy and dangerous road (on the pavement,
obviously) that skirts the common here. She was also pushing one of those
twin buggies.

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Bring back reigns for toddlers, I say.

Eh? Did they ever go away? Certainly both our used them - and the youngest is
only 3...

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Bring back reigns for toddlers,

Eminently sensible things, so unlikely they'll make a comeback

Strangely I did them being used recently - by I assume a mum (or could
have been a nanny) on a busy and dangerous road (on the pavement,
obviously) that skirts the common here. She was also pushing one of those
twin buggies.

Ah, sounds like Bedford Hill. I remember it well

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
I blame the schools. Where are the woodworking and metalworking
classes? Replaced with other poncy stuff which is neither use nor
ornament.

Woodworking and metalwork for toddlers? Think H&S would have something to
say...

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Well my 6 year old has been 'helping' me with my woodworking and DIY for a
few years now and is getting quite a nice collection of tools (cordless
drilll, old orbital sander etc). Of course this probably explains the
quality of some of the stuff I've (we've) made.

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Andy Hall ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

But what are appropriate facilities for kids? A bouncy castle
maybe? I think treating them like some kind of alien species that
has to be specially catered for is part of the problem.

I tend to agree with you - it's the parents that need to deal with
the issue. However, in the absence of that, there should be
something to at least ensure their safety.

Indeed they should.

Preferably a security guard to escort the irresponsible "parents",
complete with their ill-behaved crotchfruit, to the door.

And could they also chuck out the fat women in leggings? And the pensioners
wearing baseball caps?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Strangely I did them being used recently - by I assume a mum (or could
have been a nanny) on a busy and dangerous road (on the pavement,
obviously) that skirts the common here. She was also pushing one of
those twin buggies.

Ah, sounds like Bedford Hill. I remember it well

I hope not after dark. ;-)

No - my local common is Wandsworth.

--
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Peter Ashby wrote:
The kids don't want to be there either remember.

If kids don't enjoy being in a B&Q you haven't brought them up right.

I'd have played quite happily and quietly for hours on end with a box of
plumbing fittings...

So you're the one who never puts stuff back in the right place in B&Q? ;-)

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Peter Ashby wrote:
The kids don't want to be there either remember.

If kids don't enjoy being in a B&Q you haven't brought them up right.

I'd have played quite happily and quietly for hours on end with a box of
plumbing fittings...

It's spotty oiks with minds like that which are probably why you can
never find the right bolts in the designated bins. Hours I have spent.

Peter

www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
Peter Ashby wrote:
I'd have played quite happily and quietly for hours on end with a box of
plumbing fittings...

It's spotty oiks with minds like that which are probably why you can
never find the right bolts in the designated bins. Hours I have spent.

(a) I was not a spotty oik at 6.

(b) I spent a good ten minutes last week tidying B&Q's cable display
for them.

(c) I had my Lego all sorted into multicompartment boxes by
size/type/colour of brick.

Aah, it all makes sense now ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

If you don't hassle people for a better price, you are giving them
money for no good reason.

Yes, but in Builder's Merchants the hassle is the minimum 1hr wait until
you are deemed worthy to talk to the clown in the brown overcoat. Plus
the hassle of dealing with the Dr Drivel clone in the brown overcoat.

I tried to buy some tile cement in our local BM.

Me: I want 20Kg of Keraflex.

He: What do you want it for?

Me: It's tile adhesive, I want it to stick tiles to a wall.

He: Sucks teeth What you want is...

Me: What I want is 20Kg of Keraflex.

He: What for?

Me: To stick tiles on the wall.

He: What you want is...

Me: What I want is 20Kg of Keraflex, are you going to sell it to me?

He: What sort of tiles?

Me: Marble.

He: You can't stick those on a wall.

Me: Yes I can, with Keraflex.

He: No you can't.

... sound of door closing and my car starting.

Life's too bloody short for Builder's Merchants.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:16:12 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Knick Knack, Paddy whack.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

But what are appropriate facilities for kids? A bouncy castle
maybe? I think treating them like some kind of alien species that
has to be specially catered for is part of the problem.

I tend to agree with you - it's the parents that need to deal with
the issue. However, in the absence of that, there should be
something to at least ensure their safety.

Indeed they should.

Preferably a security guard to escort the irresponsible "parents",
complete with their ill-behaved crotchfruit, to the door.

And could they also chuck out the fat women in leggings? And the
pensioners wearing baseball caps?

Whilst ejecting them on taste grounds would be perfectly understandable, if
not laudable, we'll say "No" at the moment on the grounds that they aren't
actually endangering themselves and others around them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

Bring back reigns for toddlers, I say.

Edward VI was the last, wasn't he?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jun 07 15:10:38 GMT, dmc wrote:

Bring back reigns for toddlers, I say.

Eh? Did they ever go away? Certainly both our used them - and the
youngest is only 3...

Ours had them has well, now 10 and 7. Neither liked having reigns on but
provided they held hands when very little or stayed close and behaved
themselves when bigger they didn't have to wear them. Just taking them out
of your pocket was enough to get proper behaviour...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . 131,
Adrian wrote:
Bring back reigns for toddlers, I say.

Edward VI was the last, wasn't he?

It's taken you long enough. Just as well Mary's away...

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-22 13:42:49 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Thu, 21 Jun 07 15:10:38 GMT, dmc wrote:

Bring back reigns for toddlers, I say.

Eh? Did they ever go away? Certainly both our used them - and the
youngest is only 3...

Ours had them has well, now 10 and 7. Neither liked having reigns on but
provided they held hands when very little or stayed close and behaved
themselves when bigger they didn't have to wear them. Just taking them out
of your pocket was enough to get proper behaviour...

Does it work with 23 year olds? ;-`)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Bring back reigns for toddlers, I say.

Edward VI was the last, wasn't he?

It's taken you long enough.

Pffffft. Only about a minute from first seeing it - and most of that was
just checking Wikipedia for which Edward it was...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Ours had them has well, now 10 and 7. Neither liked having reigns on
but provided they held hands when very little or stayed close and
behaved themselves when bigger they didn't have to wear them. Just
taking them out of your pocket was enough to get proper behaviour...

Does it work with 23 year olds? ;-`)

I'm told there are clubs around Soho where it does.

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Focus RIP [was RIP Wickes]

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:56:36 +0100 Andy Hall wrote :
Nowadays, people are pretty aware of asset stripping in this context.

Less so in the era of the acquisition of Gamages department store,
which also had an unlikely purchaser. Nobody could figure out the
connection until they closed the operation down.

OT but can you expand? I presume you mean that the buyer bought it for
the site and promptly closed the business down.

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I did
the HVAC control system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 10:13:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:56:36 +0100 Andy Hall wrote :
Nowadays, people are pretty aware of asset stripping in this context.

Less so in the era of the acquisition of Gamages department store,
which also had an unlikely purchaser. Nobody could figure out the
connection until they closed the operation down.

OT but can you expand? I presume you mean that the buyer bought it for
the site and promptly closed the business down.

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I
did the HVAC control system.

Do you mean in the design sense, the installation sense or the sexual sense?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
nip

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space.
I did the HVAC control system.

You mean you picked some of the order off the warehouse racking...
:~))

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2007-06-23 10:13:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:56:36 +0100 Andy Hall wrote :
Nowadays, people are pretty aware of asset stripping in this context.

Less so in the era of the acquisition of Gamages department store,
which also had an unlikely purchaser. Nobody could figure out the
connection until they closed the operation down.

OT but can you expand? I presume you mean that the buyer bought it for
the site and promptly closed the business down.

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I
did the HVAC control system.

Do you mean in the design sense, the installation sense or the sexual
sense?

Given he doesn't know how to wire a two-way switch I'd say the
anti-fantasy tablets have worn off.

Just as well, really. Can you imagine the queues for the washrooms while
his favourite twin combis struggle to supply the hot water?

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
nip

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I did
the HVAC control system.

You mean you picked some of the order off the warehouse racking...

By the time I came along it was nothing like a warehouse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 10:13:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:56:36 +0100 Andy Hall wrote :
Nowadays, people are pretty aware of asset stripping in this context.

Less so in the era of the acquisition of Gamages department store,
which also had an unlikely purchaser. Nobody could figure out the
connection until they closed the operation down.

OT but can you expand? I presume you mean that the buyer bought it for
the site and promptly closed the business down.

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I
did the HVAC control system.

Do you mean in the design sense, the installation sense or the sexual
sense?

Given he doesn't know how to wire a two-way switch I'd say the
anti-fantasy tablets have worn off.

Just

You really must eff off as you are a total idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 10:13:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:56:36 +0100 Andy Hall wrote :
Nowadays, people are pretty aware of asset stripping in this context.

Less so in the era of the acquisition of Gamages department store,
which also had an unlikely purchaser. Nobody could figure out the
connection until they closed the operation down.

OT but can you expand? I presume you mean that the buyer bought it for
the site and promptly closed the business down.

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I did
the HVAC control system.

Do you mean in the design sense,

Yep.

the installation sense

I did the commissioning too.

or the sexual sense?

It was sexy system for the time - pure sex. 1980.

I recall they found it difficult to rent space out as the evil Thatcher had
got in power and all went pear shaped with the country. Sad but true.

Wickes Web Site The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 July 28th 06 10:38 AM
re wickes plumbing fred UK diy 4 March 19th 06 12:57 PM
Wickes two mcb RCD CU [email protected] UK diy 7 December 27th 05 11:13 AM
Marine Ply from Wickes RichardS UK diy 3 May 20th 05 11:38 PM
Would you buy another kitchen from Wickes? rrh UK diy 32 July 22nd 04 12:13 AM