Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Focus RIP [was RIP Wickes]

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
nip

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I
did the HVAC control system.

You mean you picked some of the order off the warehouse racking...

By the time I came along it was nothing like a warehouse.

Did you cut a pipe with your hacksaw and blow it up, then?

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RIP Wickes

On 2007-06-19 11:41:33 +0100, "tim....."

On 2007-06-19 00:05:53 +0100, EricP said:

Focus sold to US hedge fund Cerberus for £1.00

I wonder if Wickes will survive yet again?

Wickes is now owned by Travis Perkins, although it's demise would
be no great loss.

What's wrong with Wicks?

- Most of what they sell is mediochre at best (e.g. tools)

Oh no it isn't! The grey Kress power tools are
excellent, great value & 3 year warranty.

Matt, is talking through rear hole as usual.

5 yr guarantee. Wickes have three ranges. Black DIY 1 yr, blue semi-pro 3
yr and grey full pro at 5 yr. They sell Hitachi 1 yr. The Kress SDS drill
are superb quality and price and a 5 year guarantee. Ask Makita what their
guarantee is.

Hand tools are good as well. I have an excellent set of screwdrivers,
great wire strippers, levels, post hole diggers, crowbars, trowels &
various other bits & bobs which are used daily & hold up well

- Limited selection - often only one type of each thing.

Plumbing fittings are cheaper than Screwfix.

Paint is
mainly own brand for example, and a poor selection.

I only buy magnolia :-)

- Timber quality is appalling.

Not as good as my local timber yard granted, but streets ahead of the
stuff in B&Q

--
David Lang

Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
nip

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space.
I did the HVAC control system.

You mean you picked some of the order off the warehouse racking...

By the time I came along it was nothing like a warehouse.

You're still as clueless as ever Drivel... :~(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
nip

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I
did the HVAC control system.

You mean you picked some of the order off the warehouse racking...

By the time I came along it was nothing like a warehouse.

Did you cut a pipe with your hacksaw and blow it up, then?

Is the building now blow up? You are an effing idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
nip

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I
did the HVAC control system.

You mean you picked some of the order off the warehouse racking...

By the time I came along it was nothing like a warehouse.

You're still as clueless as ever Drivel... :~(

Do you mean those offices were warehouses?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Did you cut a pipe with your hacksaw and blow it up, then?

Is the building now blow up?

Like a bouncy castle?

Just as likely as you having designed the HVAC systems.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I
did the HVAC control system.

You mean you picked some of the order off the warehouse racking...

By the time I came along it was nothing like a warehouse.

Thought you said you did the HVAC design? That would be before even the
very earliest stages of the build, I'd think - at which point it would be
damn near a warehouse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space.

It was sexy system for the time - pure sex. 1980.

I recall they found it difficult to rent space out as the evil
Thatcher had got in power and all went pear shaped with the country.

Because, of course, Thatcher's '80s were renowned as being a time when the
thriving economic powerhouse that was Britain-in-the-70s started to slide
into moribund unemployment, and entrepreneurial skills were left out in the
rain...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Sounds like a fairly typical British attitude to children. They're
always in the way, stopping us important people from getting on with
the jolly urgent task of tarting our house up. If they did heelies in
my size, I'd have a scoot round Homebase and hopefully make it a more
pleasurable experience

That sounds like a typical British attitude to not giving a f**k about
inconveniencing others. Stop your car in the middle of the road because
you're dropping off the little darlings and all their clobber - even with
a parking space a few yards away. Use disabled parking in a carpark
rather
than walk another few yards.
Young kids are no different to dogs. If they aren't old enough and
trained enough to behave in a reasonable way in a risky public place like
a DIY store they should be restrained for their safety as well as others.

Bring back reigns for toddlers,

Eminently sensible things, so unlikely they'll make a comeback

Have you seen the 21st century equivalent, though? It's an electronic
bracelet which they wear; if they stray more than 25 or whatever yards
from Mummy the box in her Burberry bag goes off; that way they're free
to wreak whatever havoc they like at B&Q in complete safety, allegedly,
and Mummy is happy that they won't be snaffled off by the local
B&Q-browsing paedo.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Did you cut a pipe with your hacksaw and blow it up, then?

Is the building now blow up?

Like a bouncy castle?

He really should eff off for his own good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 245.131...
Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I
did the HVAC control system.

You mean you picked some of the order off the warehouse racking...

By the time I came along it was nothing like a warehouse.

Thought you said you did the HVAC design?

Look again.

That would be before even the
very earliest stages of the build, I'd think - at which point it would be
damn near a warehouse.

All from drawings. No site visit. Why visit an empty shell?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 245.131...
Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space.

It was sexy system for the time - pure sex. 1980.

I recall they found it difficult to rent space out as the evil
Thatcher had got in power and all went pear shaped with the country.

Because, of course, Thatcher's '80s were renowned as being a time when the
thriving economic powerhouse that was Britain-in-the-70s started to slide
into moribund unemployment, and entrepreneurial skills were left out in
the
rain...

Yep, that is what I said.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 245.131...
Doctor Drivel ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like
they were saying :

The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office
space.

It was sexy system for the time - pure sex. 1980.

I recall they found it difficult to rent space out as the evil
Thatcher had got in power and all went pear shaped with the
country.

Because, of course, Thatcher's '80s were renowned as being a time
when the
thriving economic powerhouse that was Britain-in-the-70s started to
slide
into moribund unemployment, and entrepreneurial skills were left
out in the
rain...

Yep, that is what I said.

Err, IIRC office space was flying out of landlords hands (even in the
dark days of the recession), due to all the 'new economy' based
industries starting up, it was the old style manufacturing / factory
space that was becoming moribund...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 245.131...
[...]

Nope. The Gamages building when converted to offices was empty for a
looooong time. We had a maintenance contract to baby-sit the system as the
building was totally empty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 245.131...
[...]

Then it was due to either location or standard of accommodation not
politics or economics, as I said, other office space was being rented
out or sold without problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:
The building in Hatton Garden was turned into rented office space. I
did the HVAC control system.

Don't tell porky pies Dribble, the last job you did was the gasfitting
at Ronan Point.

He's had jobs in London since then.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fromthearc...378751,00.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 245.131...
[...]

Hatton Garden in the City - ideal.

or standard of accommodation

High standard indeed - very plush.

not politics or economics,

It was the above.

as I said, other office space was being rented out or sold without
problems.

And others not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message

the last job you did was the gasfitting at Ronan Point.

I wish I did and it was in Jockoland.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-19, Andy Hall wrote:

More to the point is that if I am going to visit a DIY store to buy a
mixed set of items then I only want to go to one.

Best of luck. I never, ever, manage to go just to one if I want more than
half-a-dozen things.

It's not often that I get to that point for a DIY shop visit, but agree
with you that that's probably about the limit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-21, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Bring back reigns for toddlers,

I thought it was normal to appoint a Regent in such circumstances.

Or perhaps you meant "reins"?

Surely a noose is more appropriate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Bring back reigns for toddlers,

I thought it was normal to appoint a Regent in such circumstances.

Or perhaps you meant "reins"?

We've done that one already.

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Huge wrote:
Or perhaps you meant "reins"?

Surely a noose is more appropriate?

Barbara Woodhouse always recommended a choke chain.

Children are just like small dogs but less cute, more unpredictable,
noisier, considerably less intelligent, harder to toilet train, and more
expensive.

Dogs don't grow up to be axe-wielding psychopaths or politicians, either.

That's usually because their parents preferred animals.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
Or perhaps you meant "reins"?

Surely a noose is more appropriate?

Barbara Woodhouse always recommended a choke chain.

Children are just like small dogs but less cute, more unpredictable,
noisier, considerably less intelligent, harder to toilet train, and
more expensive.

Don't you believe it.

Dogs don't grow up to be axe-wielding psychopaths or politicians, either.

They do slobber at mealtimes though, and that's similar to politicians

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
Or perhaps you meant "reins"?

Surely a noose is more appropriate?

Barbara Woodhouse always recommended a choke chain.

Children are just like small dogs but
less cute,

Matter of taste
more unpredictable,

Hell yes.
noisier,

Yes
harder to toilet train,

Yes
and more expensive.

Yessss!

But this one:
considerably less intelligent,

Nope. The problem is that the intelligence is applied to solving /
their/ problems, which are not necessarily those of their parents or
innocent bystanders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-26, Owain wrote:
Huge wrote:
Sadly, due to Tiscali's utter incompetence, I cannot read or post
to news after about 1pm each day.

Claranet Mail and News £12 a year?

They traffic shape NNTP so it doesn't matter whose News server I use,
I cannot access it.

If it's so bad as not to allow traffic on 119/tcp much at all then I
would argue that they are in breach of reasonable fair usage policy.
If you were scarfing large volumes of pictures and binaries, it would
be another matter I suppose.

Their Helpdesk is the most useless I have ever spoken to, without
exception.

I've come to the conclusion that to get a reasonable help desk with
semi sentient people, you have to buy a business service as opposed to
a consumer one.

I have two services with Eclipse - one residential and one business.
There are different support numbers for each.

The business one is answered more or less immediately and one gets to
talk to a reasonably sensible technical person, although they can't
help very much with issues such as router configurations beyond the
very basics. Admittedly, it is a wires-only service.

For a recent problem on the residential service, I waited in a queue
for over half an hour to discuss a problem that had arisen following
regrading of the service. It had been on a capped 512k tariff which
was quite inexpensive but there was now a DSL max service for
effectively the same money. After several days following the
regrade, the link was still capped. The ADSL info. showed the ATM
part running at 7M, so it was obviously IP capping in Eclipse's
network. The support person swore black and blue that this was a BT
issue and that I should wait for several days to see if it improved.
I didn't buy this and asked her to check. Two minutes later it was at
the expected rate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-19 00:05:53 +0100, EricP said:

Focus sold to US hedge fund Cerberus for £1.00

I wonder if Wickes will survive yet again?

Wickes is now owned by Travis Perkins, although it's demise would be
no great loss.

It would be a loss to me. I shop almost daily for bits & bobs.

B&Q only seem to have fluffy cushions in stock, Homebase are even worse &
double the price. Builders merchants are ridiculously expensive for small
purchases. Wickes does it for me.

Focus lacks what their name suggests.

Agreed, a rubbish store.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-27 22:37:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-06-19 00:05:53 +0100, EricP said:

Focus sold to US hedge fund Cerberus for £1.00

I wonder if Wickes will survive yet again?

Wickes is now owned by Travis Perkins, although it's demise would be
no great loss.

It would be a loss to me. I shop almost daily for bits & bobs.

B&Q only seem to have fluffy cushions in stock, Homebase are even worse &
double the price. Builders merchants are ridiculously expensive for small
purchases.

I think it depends on how you buy and whether you let them charge their
first offer price.

Wickes does it for me.

Focus lacks what their name suggests.

Agreed, a rubbish store.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-27 22:37:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

B&Q only seem to have fluffy cushions in stock, Homebase are even worse &
double the price. Builders merchants are ridiculously expensive for
small
purchases.

I think it depends on how you buy and whether you let them charge their
first offer price.

Well, my buying pattern is probably much like the MH's, and I'm a big
Wickes fan too. For large purchases I'll go to BMs and negotiate, but
for daily small stuff I just can't be doing with the whole BM
experience; where nothing is labelled and for every purchase you have to
ask the price and then decide whether you're being ripped off or not
(you are); then decide how much you're prepared to pay and see if
they'll come down.

Wickes is WYSIWYG, and usually pretty favourably priced, and you don't
get 'attitude' from the staff either.

Still get most of my stuff from Screwfix/Toolstation where
time/convenience permits, though!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-27 22:37:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-06-19 00:05:53 +0100, EricP said:

Focus sold to US hedge fund Cerberus for £1.00

I wonder if Wickes will survive yet again?

Wickes is now owned by Travis Perkins, although it's demise would be
no great loss.

It would be a loss to me. I shop almost daily for bits & bobs.

B&Q only seem to have fluffy cushions in stock, Homebase are even worse &
double the price. Builders merchants are ridiculously expensive for
small
purchases.

I think it depends on how you buy and whether you let them charge their
first offer price.

But are you prepared to grunt and lower your waistband just for a few
quid? Walking about saying "****inell" works quite well, even in a suit.

Wickes does it for me.

Focus lacks what their name suggests.

Agreed, a rubbish store.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-28 14:22:47 +0100, Owain said:

Stuart Noble wrote:
I think it depends on how you buy and whether you let them charge their
first offer price.

But are you prepared to grunt and lower your waistband just for a few
quid? Walking about saying "****inell" works quite well, even in a suit.

"It was only about half that when I got some last week" suggests that
you are both knowledgeable and a regular.

Owain

That's usually what I do. Sometimes discounts vs. list prices are
incredible. For example, manufacturer list prices on some types of
cable is in the range of several hundred pounds for a 100m reel. It's
then discounted by four hundred and something percent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2007 16:54, Andy Hall wrote:

manufacturer list prices on some types of
cable is in the range of several hundred pounds for a 100m reel. It's
then discounted by four hundred and something percent.

400% discount? I'll have a few kilometers of that, pay the refund into
this account, ta!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-28 17:33:47 +0100, Andy Burns said:

On 28/06/2007 16:54, Andy Hall wrote:

manufacturer list prices on some types of cable is in the range of
several hundred pounds for a 100m reel. It's then discounted by four
hundred and something percent.

400% discount? I'll have a few kilometers of that, pay the refund into
this account, ta!

Yes but it's funny money.

Of course I should have said four hundred and something pounds.

At any rate, I'm just looking at an invoice and it worked out to about
97 as a percentage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

That's usually what I do. Sometimes discounts vs. list prices are
incredible. For example, manufacturer list prices on some types of
cable is in the range of several hundred pounds for a 100m reel. It's
then discounted by four hundred and something percent.

But why would you trade with someone who's deliberate policy is to tuck up
the unaware?

At least with Wickes the price you see is what you pay.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:41:49 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

On 2007-06-28 17:33:47 +0100, Andy Burns said:

On 28/06/2007 16:54, Andy Hall wrote:

manufacturer list prices on some types of cable is in the range of
several hundred pounds for a 100m reel. It's then discounted by four
hundred and something percent.

400% discount? I'll have a few kilometers of that, pay the refund into
this account, ta!

Yes but it's funny money.

Of course I should have said four hundred and something pounds.

At any rate, I'm just looking at an invoice and it worked out to about
97 as a percentage.

Not uncommon, I've been buying cable for years that's discounted at 90
odd percent. I think the reasonaing behind it is the list prices were
set many many years ago and have pretty much set up there to ride out
any copper price hikes.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-28 22:59:35 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

That's usually what I do. Sometimes discounts vs. list prices are
incredible. For example, manufacturer list prices on some types of
cable is in the range of several hundred pounds for a 100m reel. It's
then discounted by four hundred and something percent.

But why would you trade with someone who's deliberate policy is to tuck up
the unaware?

Well, let's be realistic here. It's a bit unlikely that anybody
would pay several hundred pounds for a 100m reel of 2.5mm T&E.

At least with Wickes the price you see is what you pay.

Therein lies the problem. Wickes is a retail store. The great
British public expects to pay the price that the retailer chooses to
ask without questioning it. Moreover, staff at retailers are not
really expecting that anyone would try to ask for a better price and
don't know how to deal with it. They can price match because there's
a defined procedure but that's about it.

In effect, they are tucking up the unaware on a grand scale because
people for whatever reason find it embarassing to reject the offered
price and ask for something better.

OTOH, trade outlets in one sense are what it says on the tin - i.e. for
trade customers. However, they speak out of both sides of their
mouths because they are also willing to sell retail.

If the seller sells at list price and the customer is willing to pay it
happily then nobody has been tucked up because both were happy about
the transaction.

However, if the customer indicates that he will only do the deal at a
price of List-40% then the supplier has the choice to accept or not.
As long as he is making some margin and achieving minimum margin and
revenue guidelines defined by his company, both can still be happy
about the situation. Generally I find trade counter staff very easy
to ask for a better price. On a collection of items, I focus on the
higher ticket items and let them go nearer to list on the smaller ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-28 17:33:47 +0100, Andy Burns said:

On 28/06/2007 16:54, Andy Hall wrote:

manufacturer list prices on some types of cable is in the range of
several hundred pounds for a 100m reel. It's then discounted by four
hundred and something percent.

400% discount? I'll have a few kilometers of that, pay the refund into
this account, ta!

Yes but it's funny money.

Of course I should have said four hundred and something pounds.

At any rate, I'm just looking at an invoice and it worked out to about
97 as a percentage.

Not uncommon, I've been buying cable for years that's discounted at 90
odd percent. I think the reasonaing behind it is the list prices were
set many many years ago and have pretty much set up there to ride out
any copper price hikes.

I was wondering that or perhaps supply contract conditions - i.e.
clauses for discounts changeable on short notice to cover commodity
prices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-28 23:03:43 +0100, Lurch

On 2007-06-28 17:33:47 +0100, Andy Burns
said:
[...]

I bought miles of wiring from CEF in the past at significantly lower
costs that other outlets.

Are they independent or part of something else these days?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 23:08:05 GMT, "clot" wrote:

I bought miles of wiring from CEF in the past at significantly lower
costs that other outlets.

Are they independent or part of something else these days?

CEF have their own brand for cable/wire - "Doncaster", ISTR.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
clot wrote:
I was wondering that or perhaps supply contract conditions - i.e.
clauses for discounts changeable on short notice to cover commodity
prices.

I bought miles of wiring from CEF in the past at significantly lower
costs that other outlets.

Plenty of wholesalers sell the common cable as a loss leader - hoping
you'll buy the other bits there at the same time. Indeed TLC sometimes
restricted the number of reels you could buy at any one time.

Are they independent or part of something else these days?

Dunno. Have you looked at their website?

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Wickes Web Site The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 July 28th 06 10:38 AM
re wickes plumbing fred UK diy 4 March 19th 06 12:57 PM
Wickes two mcb RCD CU [email protected] UK diy 7 December 27th 05 11:13 AM
Marine Ply from Wickes RichardS UK diy 3 May 20th 05 11:38 PM
Would you buy another kitchen from Wickes? rrh UK diy 32 July 22nd 04 12:13 AM