Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default RIP Wickes

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-06-27 22:37:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

B&Q only seem to have fluffy cushions in stock, Homebase are even worse &
double the price. Builders merchants are ridiculously expensive for
small
purchases.

I think it depends on how you buy and whether you let them charge their
first offer price.

Well, my buying pattern is probably much like the MH's, and I'm a big
Wickes fan too. For large purchases I'll go to BMs and negotiate, but
for daily small stuff I just can't be doing with the whole BM
experience; where nothing is labelled and for every purchase you have to
ask the price and then decide whether you're being ripped off or not
(you are); then decide how much you're prepared to pay and see if
they'll come down.

Wickes is WYSIWYG, and usually pretty favourably priced, and you don't
get 'attitude' from the staff either.

Still get most of my stuff from Screwfix/Toolstation where
time/convenience permits, though!

David