Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OK to Emulsion Inside of Shed?

I need to paint the inside of our garden shed (my wife's decided it
needs to be turned into a wendy house...) I want to paint it a nice
bright colour & am planning to use normal household emulsion.

I'm wondering if this will work OK given that the wood inside looks
like it has been treated / painted at some stage - I don't know what
with, but it looks like a bog standard garden shed (I think it's about
10 years old).

I'm partly wondering if the paint will go on OK, but also whether it's
likely to stay on. I'm a bit short of time, so haven't got much of a
chance to test it out, or look into different paints.

Thanks,

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wouldn't use emulsion paint. The first cold snap of frost will see it
flaking off. Tip, if you get emulsion paint on your clothes, wet them
and put them in the freezer and wash, the paint will have crumbled and
washed out.

Dave

That's interesting and I will try it.
However, many years ago, I painted a pebble dashed house with normal
emulsion and then with silicon water seal. No problems after a couple
of winters snow and rain.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jun, 12:42, wrote:
I need to paint the inside of our garden shed (my wife's decided it
needs to be turned into a wendy house...) I want to paint it a nice
bright colour & am planning to use normal household emulsion.

I'm wondering if this will work OK given that the wood inside looks
like it has been treated / painted at some stage - I don't know what
with, but it looks like a bog standard garden shed (I think it's about
10 years old).

I'm partly wondering if the paint will go on OK, but also whether it's
likely to stay on. I'm a bit short of time, so haven't got much of a
chance to test it out, or look into different paints.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael
You say it has been "treated / painted at some stage". There is a
crucial difference!
If it has been treated - that will be an OS or similar product and I
would use a Water repellant preservative stain such as Sikkens or the
like AKZO produce the best products in my opionion but ICI (soon to go
RIP) produce allegedly similar products and does Ronseal etc
I personally would go for the Sikkens even though pricey. You can get
a variety of colours. It will be easy to put on, have a slight
(minimal) preservative effect but will protect against UV and will
wear by checking so you do not have to burn off when repainting.
It is a good product for wood. Oil based and other paints have certain
disadvantages for wood subject to moisture and movement as will be the
case with this shed
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris George wrote:
On 18 Jun, 12:42, wrote:
[...]

Try an exterior grade paint like sandtex on it..if it sticks, use more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
wrote:

I need to paint the inside of our garden shed (my wife's decided it
needs to be turned into a wendy house...) I want to paint it a nice
bright colour & am planning to use normal household emulsion.
I'm wondering if this will work OK given that the wood inside looks
like it has been treated / painted at some stage - I don't know what
with, but it looks like a bog standard garden shed (I think it's about
10 years old).
I'm partly wondering if the paint will go on OK, but also whether
it's
likely to stay on. I'm a bit short of time, so haven't got much of a
chance to test it out, or look into different paints.

I wouldn't use emulsion paint. The first cold snap of frost will see it
flaking off.

We painted the inside of our old shed with cheapo white emulsion (made
it seem a lot lighter in there)

Were there about 5 more years before we moved. Never had any problems
with paint flaking or anything.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cuprinol Garden Shadeshttp://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/garden_shades_overview.html

Nice bright colours, ideal.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks - I've ordered a tin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Chris George, Tobyboy wrote:
What about the inside of my summerhouse? I painted/treated the outside with
Sikkens and had some left so,did the inside. However, it's quite dark and I
would like to paint over it with a white or magnolia colour. Please can you
let me know what is the best thing to,do. Thank you.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ed-402630-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 July 2017 16:44:06 UTC+1, Tobyboy wrote:
replying to Chris George, Tobyboy wrote:
What about the inside of my summerhouse? I painted/treated the outside with
Sikkens and had some left so,did the inside. However, it's quite dark and I
would like to paint over it with a white or magnolia colour. Please can you
let me know what is the best thing to,do. Thank you.

Access newsgroup uk.d-i-y via a saner portal than HOH. Most folk here block HOH posts.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes they persist in not following the standard so people outside of that
interface often ponder on what was meant as it refers to resources only on
the web site.
Also all sorts of daft stuff can happen with dates to make people reply to
old threads years ago as well.
Myself I'd do a test patch of paint over and see what happes.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Emulsion on MDF TonyK UK diy 8 April 16th 06 05:30 AM
Uneven (or tilted) ground inside the shed daishan UK diy 0 March 2nd 06 11:14 AM
Tiling on top of Emulsion bp UK diy 14 September 14th 05 05:08 PM
Buying emulsion al UK diy 22 May 1st 05 01:37 AM