Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bulbs?

I have a Victorian effect lamppost on my deck with three 100w bayonet bulbs
in it.

I've now decided it's too bright and want a softer light. I have varicose
solar powered LED lights illuminating the water feature, plants & steps and
sometimes the 3 x 100w bayonet bulbs either stop the LED's working (dawn to
dusk sensors) or simply overpower them.

Initial plan was to change to 3 x 60w bulbs - but are there any bulbs that
would give a better effect? Colour changing LED bulbs?

How do you compare an LED bulb e.g. 1 watt to a normal bulb in terms of
light output?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a Victorian effect lamppost on my deck with three 100w bayonet bulbs
in it.

You don't live opposite me do you? :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I have varicose solar powered LED lights

Nasty, but a simple operation can fix the problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I have a Victorian effect lamppost on my deck with three 100w bayonet bulbs
in it.

I've now decided it's too bright and want a softer light. I have varicose
solar powered LED lights illuminating the water feature, plants & steps and
sometimes the 3 x 100w bayonet bulbs either stop the LED's working (dawn to
dusk sensors) or simply overpower them.

Initial plan was to change to 3 x 60w bulbs - but are there any bulbs that
would give a better effect? Colour changing LED bulbs?

surely just dropping down to something like 3 x 5w CFL would do the
trick? you could leave it on all night as a form of security light
without losing sleep over the destruction of the planet.

Any reason not to use CFL's? They're cheap as chips so even if you
didn't like the effect you would still have some spare bulbs to use in
the house.

Pete
--
http:www.gymratz.co.uk - gym equipment, fitness equipment & Stuff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I have a Victorian effect lamppost on my deck with three 100w bayonet bulbs
in it.

I've now decided it's too bright and want a softer light. I have varicose
solar powered LED lights illuminating the water feature, plants & steps and
sometimes the 3 x 100w bayonet bulbs either stop the LED's working (dawn to
dusk sensors) or simply overpower them.

Initial plan was to change to 3 x 60w bulbs - but are there any bulbs that
would give a better effect? Colour changing LED bulbs?

How do you compare an LED bulb e.g. 1 watt to a normal bulb in terms of
light output?

Have a look here, (phase change use seperate red green and blue leds
that illuminate in phase and are a lot brighter than colour changing leds )

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/240v-soft...0a6974d6ef65d2

If your lamp fittings face upwards then paint the inside of the cover
white to reflect some of the light down.
--
mart@home

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
surely just dropping down to something like 3 x 5w CFL would do the
trick? you could leave it on all night as a form of security light
without losing sleep over the destruction of the planet.

Any reason not to use CFL's? They're cheap as chips so even if you
didn't like the effect you would still have some spare bulbs to use in
the house.

I notice the 11W (60W equivalent) spiral ones made by Ring and sold in
Focus are actually slightly smaller than standard light bulbs now!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jun, 23:56, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I have a Victorian effect lamppost on my deck with three 100w bayonet bulbs
in it.

I've now decided it's too bright and want a softer light. I have varicose
solar powered LED lights illuminating the water feature, plants & steps and
sometimes the 3 x 100w bayonet bulbs either stop the LED's working (dawn to
dusk sensors) or simply overpower them.

Initial plan was to change to 3 x 60w bulbs - but are there any bulbs that
would give a better effect? Colour changing LED bulbs?

How do you compare an LED bulb e.g. 1 watt to a normal bulb in terms of
light output?

CFLs in traditional bulb shape should be a good option for that.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a Victorian effect lamppost on my deck with three 100w bayonet bulbs
in it.

Initial plan was to change to 3 x 60w bulbs - but are there any bulbs that
would give a better effect? Colour changing LED bulbs?

CFLs in traditional bulb shape should be a good option for that.

Nor are they likely to start/operate reliably from cold, as around
yukky decking (!), unless said decking has 'de rigeur'
very-much-non-carbon-zero gas-powered patio heaters.

;-)

Outdoor rated cfls are available. They often have a polycarbonate
outer cover.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ben writes:
Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
surely just dropping down to something like 3 x 5w CFL would do the
trick? you could leave it on all night as a form of security light
without losing sleep over the destruction of the planet.

Any reason not to use CFL's? They're cheap as chips so even if you
didn't like the effect you would still have some spare bulbs to use in
the house.

I notice the 11W (60W equivalent) spiral ones made by Ring and sold in
Focus are actually slightly smaller than standard light bulbs now!

Except you'll almost certainly find they're 40W equivalent, or 50W
at a real push.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Ben writes:
Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
surely just dropping down to something like 3 x 5w CFL would do the
trick? you could leave it on all night as a form of security light
without losing sleep over the destruction of the planet.

Any reason not to use CFL's? They're cheap as chips so even if you
didn't like the effect you would still have some spare bulbs to use in
the house.

I notice the 11W (60W equivalent) spiral ones made by Ring and sold in
Focus are actually slightly smaller than standard light bulbs now!

Except you'll almost certainly find they're 40W equivalent, or 50W
at a real push.

I have two identical table lamps which had 60W bulbs in them. To compare
the colour, I put the Ring 11W spiral bulb in one and left the 60W bulb
in the other. I didn't really notice any difference in brightness.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

Nor are they likely to start/operate reliably from cold, as around
yukky decking (!), unless said decking has 'de rigeur'
very-much-non-carbon-zero gas-powered patio heaters.

Gas heaters are sooo last year. We have a Chimera :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
... unless said decking has 'de rigeur'
very-much-non-carbon-zero gas-powered patio heaters.

Gas heaters are sooo last year. We have a Chimera :-)

Are they suitable for use on decking, or would you recommend that
people in the Medway area get a handyman in to put down a small paved
area to stand it on? (medway, handyman, chimera, barbecue, decking,
patio, firepit, kebabs, chardonnay...)

Well, ours sits on the deck - are those them keyword thingys? Chardonnay?
Nah! Special Brew more like :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
... unless said decking has 'de rigeur'
very-much-non-carbon-zero gas-powered patio heaters.

Gas heaters are sooo last year. We have a Chimera :-)

Are they suitable for use on decking, or would you recommend that
people in the Medway area get a handyman in to put down a small paved
area to stand it on? (medway, handyman, chimera, barbecue, decking,
patio, firepit, kebabs, chardonnay...)

"How d'you do, I see you've met my faithful handyman
He's just a little brought down because when you knocked
He thought you were the candyman."

--
geoff

Comparison of Low Energy bulbs (was Compulsory low-energy light-bulbs) Derek Geldard UK diy 1 March 16th 07 04:52 PM
Bulbs [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 9th 07 06:32 PM
fluorescent bulbs Michael_S Home Ownership 7 December 22nd 06 04:30 AM
OT - Bulbs Sue Metalworking 0 October 5th 05 01:27 AM
Bulbs John UK diy 9 August 12th 04 12:20 AM