John

Default Bulbs

SWMBO has seen a light fitting for our lounge. It has 6 40watt halogen
bulbs. They are small bulbs like to ones inside a spotlight. I believe they
may be Halopin bulbs. They seem costly - any thoughts on the output compared
to a normal candle bulb. It was hard to judge it in the shop as they had put
25 watt bulbs in for display.

--

Regards

John

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Ian Stirling

John wrote:
SWMBO has seen a light fitting for our lounge. It has 6 40watt halogen
bulbs. They are small bulbs like to ones inside a spotlight. I believe they
may be Halopin bulbs. They seem costly - any thoughts on the output compared
to a normal candle bulb. It was hard to judge it in the shop as they had put
25 watt bulbs in for display.

If the lights are actually mostly shining out, and not much obstructed,
then it'll be similar to a 240W bulb.

As to why they might have replaced the bulbs.
8 hours a day, a 240W light fitting will use around 50 quid of electricity.
John

They are mains bulbs - but a small capsule type:

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=2981

They are called Halopin. Has anyone experience of them?

This company has a range of fittings under the Halopin tab on the web site:

http://www.loxtonlighting.co.uk/prod...sp?SubRange=48

--

Regards

John

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
John wrote:
SWMBO has seen a light fitting for our lounge. It has 6 40watt halogen
bulbs. They are small bulbs like to ones inside a spotlight. I believe

they
may be Halopin bulbs. They seem costly - any thoughts on the output

compared
to a normal candle bulb. It was hard to judge it in the shop as they had

put
25 watt bulbs in for display.

If the lights are actually mostly shining out, and not much obstructed,
then it'll be similar to a 240W bulb.

As to why they might have replaced the bulbs.
8 hours a day, a 240W light fitting will use around 50 quid of

electricity.

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

nightjar

"John" wrote in message
SWMBO has seen a light fitting for our lounge. It has 6 40watt halogen
bulbs. They are small bulbs like to ones inside a spotlight. I believe

they
may be Halopin bulbs. They seem costly - any thoughts on the output

compared
to a normal candle bulb. It was hard to judge it in the shop as they had

put
25 watt bulbs in for display.

I use those in a number of light fittings. They are very effective, but,
unless you have a large room, you may find six lamps rather too bright.

Colin Bignell

N. Thornton

"John" wrote in message ...
They are mains bulbs - but a small capsule type:

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/var...l.asp?var=2981

They are called Halopin. Has anyone experience of them?

So 6 bulbs at 4.99 each (screwfix price) is £30 every time you relamp.
Sucker born every minute huh.

Regards, NT

nightjar

"John" wrote in message
news
..and that is cheap!

Any comments on life? Output?

The manufacture claims 4,000 hours. Compared to conventional filament lamps,
you should get twice the light output and four times the life.

Colin Bignell

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"nightjar" writes:

"John" wrote in message
news
..and that is cheap!

Any comments on life? Output?

The manufacture claims 4,000 hours. Compared to conventional filament lamps,
you should get twice the light output and four times the life.

Dubious. For a halogen, you can design for higher light output
colour temperature and efficiency, or for longer life.
You can't get both options together, at least nowhere near twice
the light output and 4 times the life -- those figures aren't
even available separately.

--
Andrew Gabriel
nightjar

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"nightjar" writes:

"John" wrote in message
news
..and that is cheap!

Any comments on life? Output?

The manufacture claims 4,000 hours. Compared to conventional filament

lamps,
you should get twice the light output and four times the life.

Dubious. For a halogen, you can design for higher light output
colour temperature and efficiency, or for longer life.
You can't get both options together, at least nowhere near twice
the light output and 4 times the life -- those figures aren't
even available separately.

I can verify that the light output is considerably higher than a 40W
conventional filament lamp and would not be surprised if the claim of double
the output were true. However, I don't have an hour meter connected to my
lights, so I can only repeat the manufacturer's claim of 4,000 hours. I
would say that, since I started using these lamps, all the 1,000 hour lamps
in areas with similar use patterns have had to be replaced at least once.

Colin Bignell

N. Thornton

"John" wrote in message ...
..and that is cheap!

Any comments on life? Output?

OK. One of the ideas in life is to get the most things you want with
your money, and that means spending 6x50p on a regular basis rather
than £30.

If you get 2000hr bulbs at £5 each, plus £6 delivery a set, = £36 a
set of 6, and use your lights say 5hrs a day, thats £36 every:
2000/5=400 days.
OK not as bad as I thought, only an extra 36-3=33x40yrs= £1320 for
your one light fitting. Up to you. I'd prefer a candle bulb version.

Regards, NT