Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to remove ladder style radiator ?

I have a ladder style radiator in my bathroom. The pipes to the
radiator come up vertically from the floor - one has a lockshield
valve and the other has a TRV.

I need to remove the radiator in order to tile behind it.

I cannot see how to remove it without flooding the room as the pipes
and connections are in-line going vertically into the ladder and hence
I cannot put anything underneath them to catch the water.

Any advice or pointers gratefully received !

Andrew.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jun, 14:01, wrote:
I have a ladder style radiator in my bathroom. The pipes to the
radiator come up vertically from the floor - one has a lockshield
valve and the other has a TRV.

I need to remove the radiator in order to tile behind it.

I cannot see how to remove it without flooding the room as the pipes
and connections are in-line going vertically into the ladder and hence
I cannot put anything underneath them to catch the water.

Any advice or pointers gratefully received !

Andrew.

1. Make a doughnut-style plasticene tray around each pipe with a
suitable "spout" to catch run-off into another recepticle.
2. Make a doughnut-style plasticene tray around the bathroom with a
suitable "spout" to catch run-off into another recepticle.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

I have a ladder style radiator in my bathroom. The pipes to the
radiator come up vertically from the floor - one has a lockshield
valve and the other has a TRV.

I need to remove the radiator in order to tile behind it.

I cannot see how to remove it without flooding the room as the pipes
and connections are in-line going vertically into the ladder and hence
I cannot put anything underneath them to catch the water.

If this is a "standard style" ladder, then at the top of each vertical you
will find blanking plug (on one side) and bleed point (on other side).
Isolate ladder rad by turning off both lockshield and handwheel/trv valves.
Remove blanking plug at top.
Feed decent bore size (6mm min) nylon tube into one leg of rad from top.
Make sure that your tube is long enough to reach the bottom of the rad leg.
Syphon out contents into nearby bog! (don't swallow any though).
Follow others' advice about catching any remaining water when undoing
valves/removing rad.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If this is a "standard style" ladder, then at the top of each vertical you
will find blanking plug (on one side) and bleed point (on other side).
Isolate ladder rad by turning off both lockshield and handwheel/trv valves.
Remove blanking plug at top.
Feed decent bore size (6mm min) nylon tube into one leg of rad from top.
Make sure that your tube is long enough to reach the bottom of the rad leg.
Syphon out contents into nearby bog! (don't swallow any though).
Follow others' advice about catching any remaining water when undoing
valves/removing rad.

Phil

Phil - This is interesting... how does one syphon out the contents ?
Do you mean suck on the end (without swallowing!) and drain it all
out ?

If so... does this get *everything* out bar a few drips or am I going
to still have a substantial amount remaining inside ? It doesn't
matter either way, but would be good to be prepared...

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

Phil - This is interesting... how does one syphon out the contents ?
Do you mean suck on the end (without swallowing!) and drain it all
out ?

Yes - suck.
Get the liquid well down the tube, but not in your mouth, then hold the end
of the tube below the bottom of the radiator and let gravity do the rest.
Depending on the height of your rad, you may be able to discharge into the
bog and save filling and emptying bowls,
I broggled about with the submerged end of the tube on the bottom of the rad
leg to lift as much crud as possible with the water.
I also taped some fine net curtain over the discharge end of the tube to
catch any crud for inspection.

If so... does this get *everything* out bar a few drips or am I going
to still have a substantial amount remaining inside ? It doesn't
matter either way, but would be good to be prepared...

Once the syphon has broken (assuming you had the tube right to the bottom of
the rad leg) then there should only be a cup full of water remaining -
always assume the worst though to avoid nasty situations.
Check by cleaning the free end of the tube and sucking again with the tube
right at the bottom of the rad.
This will tell you a) if you have emptied it completely and b) if you try
leaving it for a short while and it fills up you'll know if one of the
valves is passing.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
wrote

[...]

Funnily enough I had to do this job myself yesterday... I came up with
the same idea, but as I didn't have any suitable tubing (or plasticine,
for that matter!) and needed to get on with it, so I just had to go for
it. Tube solution mentally filed away for next time though.

I just used a combination of a bit of cloth wrapped round rhe pipe and
leading into a bowl in the hope of conducting the effluent in that
direction, with a sponge below that as second-line defence (regularly
squeezed out into the bowl), and finally a dry bath towel below that
(which barely got wet at all in fact).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jun, 14:01, wrote:
I have a ladder style radiator in my bathroom. The pipes to the
radiator come up vertically from the floor - one has a lockshield
valve and the other has a TRV.

I need to remove the radiator in order to tile behind it.

I cannot see how to remove it without flooding the room as the pipes
and connections are in-line going vertically into the ladder and hence
I cannot put anything underneath them to catch the water.

Any advice or pointers gratefully received !

Andrew.

Wet/Dry vacuum cleaner hel next to the valve will produce enough
suction to divert the water. Worked for me anyway.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 5:22 pm, Andrew wrote:
On 6 Jun, 14:01, wrote:

I have aladderstyleradiatorin my bathroom. The pipes to the
radiatorcome up vertically from the floor - one has a lockshield
valve and the other has a TRV.

I need to remove theradiatorin order to tile behind it.

I cannot see how to remove it without flooding the room as the pipes
and connections are in-line going vertically into theladderand hence
I cannot put anything underneath them to catch the water.

Any advice or pointers gratefully received !

Andrew.

Wet/Dry vacuum cleaner hel next to the valve will produce enough
suction to divert the water. Worked for me anyway.

Andrew

Thanks all for the replies. I need to look into the options further
and we'll attempt something this weekend !

Thanks once again - Andrew....

I can't remove an old style porcelain door knob rosette that has no plate screws [email protected] Home Ownership 1 April 15th 07 11:46 PM
How to temporarily remove baseboard radiator covers? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 17th 06 03:46 PM
Remove Radiator - Drain Combination Boiler heinzy UK diy 5 June 25th 05 05:32 PM
Remove Radiator Truffle UK diy 6 June 1st 05 01:20 PM
Remove radiator on a combi system Chris S UK diy 8 October 2nd 04 12:53 AM