Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to temporarily remove baseboard radiator covers?

If anyone can help me with this one I will be very appreciative. I am
in the process of removing old paneling from my finished basement and
installing beadboard/wainscotting. The forced hot water baseboards
were installed after the paneling. I am happy to remove/replace the
baseboard covers (actually want something more in keeping with the new
walls) but am having difficulty understanding how to remove the
baseboard units without damaging the piping and fins. I can't even
imagine how these things went together.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Thanks in advance for the input!

-Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
s.com...
If anyone can help me with this one I will be very appreciative. I am
in the process of removing old paneling from my finished basement and
installing beadboard/wainscotting. The forced hot water baseboards
were installed after the paneling. I am happy to remove/replace the
baseboard covers (actually want something more in keeping with the new
walls) but am having difficulty understanding how to remove the
baseboard units without damaging the piping and fins. I can't even
imagine how these things went together.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Thanks in advance for the input!

-Paul

Although yours may not be made by SlantFin, you might still find useful
information he
www.slantfin.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul,

The ones I have are nailed to the wall. Remove the end caps, face cover
and dampers. Remove the nails. If you can't get at the nails, try
taking a crow bar between the back cover and the wall or removing the
heating element. Slide the pipe supports to the end and remove. Then
you can slip the cover out. You might find that with the new covers
that the fins will be too low or too high. Don't be surprise if you
have to make some adjustments.

When they were installed, th back was nailed to the studs. The pipe
with fins along with the supports were installed. The piping
connections were made. Then the front cover, damper, and end caps were
installed.