heinzy

Default Remove Radiator - Drain Combination Boiler

Hi,

In order to Drain my CH system so that that i can move a rad to a
different position, Can someone confirm that I DONT have to turn the
main water supply off via the stopcock.

Im of the understanding , that I only need to make sure that the combi
boiler is powered off, and then i can connect a hose to a drain plug on
the bottom of the rad

Many thanks

andrewpreece

"heinzy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

In order to Drain my CH system so that that i can move a rad to a
different position, Can someone confirm that I DONT have to turn the
main water supply off via the stopcock.

Im of the understanding , that I only need to make sure that the combi
boiler is powered off, and then i can connect a hose to a drain plug on
the bottom of the rad

Many thanks

You don't have to turn of the mains water. It is not connected to the
central
heating side of the combi. Usually there is a drain valve somewhere
in the CH system, near the lowest point. I'm not sure you need to drain the
entire sstem though. If the radiator has a TRV at one end and a lockshield
valve at the other, I believe that if you shut both off then you can unscrew
the
nuts connecting the radiator to the pipes, and all that will leak out is the
water
already in the radiator. I've never tried this though!

Andy.

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:56:24 -0700, heinzy wrote:

Hi,

In order to Drain my CH system so that that i can move a rad to a
different position, Can someone confirm that I DONT have to turn the
main water supply off via the stopcock.

Im of the understanding , that I only need to make sure that the combi
boiler is powered off, and then i can connect a hose to a drain plug on
the bottom of the rad

See FAQ on Sealed CH systems.

heinzy

Well I turned glow worm combi boiler off , drained the CH , removed the
rad and capped ends OK

The lockout light now comes on after about 15s of turning the taps on -
the boiler seems to fire up and the 'demand' light comes on + I can
hear the pump starting .

Ive bled the rads and the refilled the system to 2.5.

I was wondering whether I have a pressure/airlock problem?

Many thanks

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM
Reset thermostat on SD623 combination boiler Joe Woods UK diy 0 October 25th 03 06:52 PM