Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socket in shower

Can anyone remind me of the URL for the picture
of a double socket outlet in a shower? Thanks.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Can anyone remind me of the URL for the picture
of a double socket outlet in a shower? Thanks.

http://www.sda.co.uk/images/shower.jpg

HTH
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's got to be in a showroom or something .......right

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
That's got to be in a showroom or something .......right

You'd think so, but no:
http://tinyurl.com/2tt2vv

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Can anyone remind me of the URL for the picture
of a double socket outlet in a shower? Thanks.

http://www.sda.co.uk/images/shower.jpg

HTH
David

Ah - ideal for a foot spa?

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On a more serious note I need to put a shaving socket in the bathroom
- I assume this is just a straight 240v supply to the socket?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
On a more serious note I need to put a shaving socket in the bathroom
- I assume this is just a straight 240v supply to the socket?

Yes, but the socket itself contains an isolation transformer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 12:36, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
405 TD Estate wrote:
On a more serious note I need to put a shaving socket in the bathroom
- I assume this is just a straight 240v supply to the socket?

Yes, but the socket itself contains an isolation transformer.

Aah OK So that limits potential current right... yet voltage is still
at 240.

I have read in several places that it takes only a few milliamps to
kill you and it is the voltage which is required to start using your
body as a short so how is this safer? It's a question i'm not having a
go or anything.

Put it this way if I had to touch either a 12v car battery with 300A
available or 240v with (say) 1/2 A available in a wet bathroom I know
which i'd go for (12v!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
On a more serious note I need to put a shaving socket in the bathroom
- I assume this is just a straight 240v supply to the socket?

Yes, but the socket itself contains an isolation transformer.

Aah OK So that limits potential current right... yet voltage is still
at 240.

But if you have an isolating transformer you would have to touch
*both* terminals to receive a shock. One terminal alone to earth
wouldn't complete a circuit.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oups.com...
405 TD Estate wrote:
On a more serious note I need to put a shaving socket in the bathroom
- I assume this is just a straight 240v supply to the socket?

Yes, but the socket itself contains an isolation transformer.

Aah OK So that limits potential current right... yet voltage is still
at 240.

I have read in several places that it takes only a few milliamps to
kill you and it is the voltage which is required to start using your
body as a short so how is this safer? It's a question i'm not having a
go or anything.

Put it this way if I had to touch either a 12v car battery with 300A
available or 240v with (say) 1/2 A available in a wet bathroom I know
which i'd go for (12v!)

The transformer also serves to isolate the mains voltage from earth so if
there is a single pole fault then current can't return through you to any
nearby pipes/radiators. You correctly mention that the transformer does
limit current and a typical rating of 15VA does serve to reduce danger but
by reducing the energy hazard which is mainly prevention from burns as
something overheats. The main concerns with a car battery are the potential
to cause massive heat in the event of a short. There's always the
interesting danger of hot acid when the battery itself overheats.

50mA is enough to cause irreparable tissue damage with 100mA being almost
always fatal. Any major shock can cause a heart to stop but consider the
difference between AC and DC. A muscle spasm caused by DC will remain in
place until the current is removed and it's the long times involved that can
cause horrific harm (cooking flesh). An AC shock at UK mains frequencies
will cause muscle spasm but one that has the cause removed after 10ms (or
less) as the polarity changes and there's the chance to react and pull back
from contact.

Sorry for the rather serious email. I'd much rather the shower conversion
was a piece of DIY and candidate for an upcoming Darwin award.

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jon
writes

300A at 12v would leave you with very nasty burns, assuming you survived
at all.

I'd go for the 240v with .5 amps. Bit of a jolt, nothing more.

Bye. RIP

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2007 20:22:03 GMT, Bill
mused:

In message , Jon
writes

300A at 12v would leave you with very nasty burns, assuming you survived
at all.

I'd go for the 240v with .5 amps. Bit of a jolt, nothing more.

Bye. RIP

Not neccesarily. Depends where and how long.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

declared for all the world to hear...
405 TD Estate wrote:
On a more serious note I need to put a shaving socket in the bathroom
- I assume this is just a straight 240v supply to the socket?
Yes, but the socket itself contains an isolation transformer.
Aah OK So that limits potential current right... yet voltage is still
at 240.

I have read in several places that it takes only a few milliamps to
kill you and it is the voltage which is required to start using your
body as a short so how is this safer? It's a question i'm not having a
go or anything.

Put it this way if I had to touch either a 12v car battery with 300A
available or 240v with (say) 1/2 A available in a wet bathroom I know
which i'd go for (12v!)

300A at 12v would leave you with very nasty burns, assuming you survived
at all.

The real issue is that no human body is low enough impedance to pull
300A off a 12v supply. Probably around 1-2mA at the worst.

I'd go for the 240v with .5 amps. Bit of a jolt, nothing more.

Actually, 30mA can be lethal. 100mA is very dangerous, and 0.5A is
probably instant death.- Hide quoted text -

Glad somebody explained the transformer thing - makes me feel safer.

I was assuming at 12v no current would be drawn - didn't a scrap heap
challenge team make a 12v submarine with all electrics exposed simply
because 12v is not enough volts to break down H20 molecules.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
[...]

well its not that bad except in seawater.

There it will corrode electrolytically damned fast.