Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socket in shower

405 TD Estate wrote:
On 18 May, 21:56, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Jon wrote:
declared for all the world to hear...
On 18 May, 12:36, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
405 TD Estate wrote:
On a more serious note I need to put a shaving socket in the bathroom
- I assume this is just a straight 240v supply to the socket?
Yes, but the socket itself contains an isolation transformer.
Aah OK So that limits potential current right... yet voltage is still
at 240.
I have read in several places that it takes only a few milliamps to
kill you and it is the voltage which is required to start using your
body as a short so how is this safer? It's a question i'm not having a
go or anything.
Put it this way if I had to touch either a 12v car battery with 300A
available or 240v with (say) 1/2 A available in a wet bathroom I know
which i'd go for (12v!)
300A at 12v would leave you with very nasty burns, assuming you survived
at all.

The real issue is that no human body is low enough impedance to pull
300A off a 12v supply. Probably around 1-2mA at the worst.

I'd go for the 240v with .5 amps. Bit of a jolt, nothing more.

Actually, 30mA can be lethal. 100mA is very dangerous, and 0.5A is
probably instant death.- Hide quoted text -

Glad somebody explained the transformer thing - makes me feel safer.

I was assuming at 12v no current would be drawn - didn't a scrap heap
challenge team make a 12v submarine with all electrics exposed simply
because 12v is not enough volts to break down H20 molecules.

well its not that bad except in seawater.

There it will corrode electrolytically damned fast.