db

Default lighting rose driving me nuts arrrr help!!!!!!!!!

Hi I got a house 60s and I have replaced my rose with a new one.

Now I have 2 black wire one was by its self and one was wound round 1
thicker black/very dark gray wire + 2 red live wires wound together

In the old rose the 2 red went to one wire the black and gray and one of the
black went to the other connection and the last black wire to an earth that
was not wired up to anything .

I connected the 2 reds to the brow live of the new rose the gray and black
to the neutral and the final black to the earth.

When I replaced the fuse the light was inverted and was on when it should be
off and when I turned it off it blew the fuse.

So I swapped them around made no difference.

Now I have placed the thicker gray in the neutral and the live in the live
and the 2 black in the earth and now the lamp stays on all the time.

I have tried every combination, and it is either inverted or always on or
always off.

Help

Peter Ashby

In article ,
"db" wrote:

Now I have placed the thicker gray in the neutral and the live in the live
and the 2 black in the earth and now the lamp stays on all the time.

I have tried every combination, and it is either inverted or always on or
always off.

You need a wiring diagram. I made exactly the same mistake when my
daughter pulled one of the wires out changing a bulb. The mistake I made
was not to credit that the wire could reach across to the switch.
Finally I realised I needed help and consulted the Collins DIY manual.
One of the roses detailed in there was what I had and then it was fixed.

Get yourself a relevant book before proceeding or call a sparky.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
db wrote:
When I replaced the fuse the light was inverted and was on when it
should be off and when I turned it off it blew the fuse.

Many ceiling roses from a DIY store include a wiring diagram. There are
also DIY books on the subject. Studying the diagram should make it obvious
what you've done which is about the most common mistake people make when
first playing around with electricity.

It should act as a good lesson - to understand what you're doing before
doing it. Mains electricity isn't a toy.

--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
ARWadsworth

Many ceiling roses from a DIY store include a wiring diagram. There are
also DIY books on the subject. Studying the diagram should make it obvious
what you've done which is about the most common mistake people make when
first playing around with electricity.
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Or have a look a nice web page such as

http://www.userview.net/loop1.html

Adam

Frisket

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Many ceiling roses from a DIY store include a wiring diagram. There are
also DIY books on the subject. Studying the diagram should make it

obvious
what you've done which is about the most common mistake people make when
first playing around with electricity.
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Or have a look a nice web page such as

http://www.userview.net/loop1.html

Adam

Or call in one of the over paid, under-qualified chimps that are slated on
here from time to time....is that the smell of more cream heading in the
direction of a sparky?
Richard.

Mike Ring

"ARWadsworth" wrote in
:

Or have a look a nice web page such as

http://www.userview.net/loop1.html

Adam

Thasser nice site

Mike R
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Frisket wrote:
Or call in one of the over paid, under-qualified chimps that are slated
on here from time to time....is that the smell of more cream heading in
the direction of a sparky?

Not at all. But you really should read up about doing this sort of job
before starting. Or even ask here *before* it all goes pear shaped.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Chris Holmes

"ARWadsworth" wrote in
:

Or have a look a nice web page such as

http://www.userview.net/loop1.html

Adam

And/or follow this advice (assuming you have a loop in ceiling rose).

1. Switch off the power.

2. Use some form of continuity tester to discover which cable goes to
the
switch.

3. Connect all the other blacks together via the N terminal.

4. Connect all the other reds together via the L terminal.

5. Connect all the green & Yellows together via the E (or funny earth
symbol terminal

6. Take the black from the switch wire and either put some red sleeve
or a bit of red insulating tape on it and connect it to the remaining
terminal.

7. Connect the fitting brown wire to the L terminal

8. Connect the fitting blue wire to the N terminal

9. Connect the fitting green & yellow (if present) to the E terminal.
StealthUK

Rule no.1 - always note the connections before you remove the old
rose!

:-)

From what you have said, I would deduce the following:

The black wire wound round the dark grey wire is neutral.

The 2 red wires wound together are live.

The black wire on its own is switched live.

Use a test screwdriver/ multimeter to deduce which wire is going to
your wall switch and open the switch as well to see what type/colour
of flex is present there.
BillR

ARWadsworth wrote:
Many ceiling roses from a DIY store include a wiring diagram. There
are also DIY books on the subject. Studying the diagram should make
it obvious what you've done which is about the most common mistake
people make when first playing around with electricity.
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Or have a look a nice web page such as

http://www.userview.net/loop1.html

Wish I knew about that before. Daughter did same thing, ripped out old rose
to fit Ikea rubbish and realised she didn't know how to rewire. I had to
email her a sketch and then remotely diagnose what was what. She only had
neon screwdriver. It took 3 goes to get it right, no shorts or bangs on the
way though.

Wheelbarrowbob

I would have looked in the switch first, but there are 5 wires, as he
describes, 2 switch and 3 feed, and what worries me is did the last occupier
use an earth for carrying current ie switch wire
Andy Wade

"Mike Ring" wrote in message
52.50...

"ARWadsworth" wrote
Or have a look a nice web page such as
http://www.userview.net/loop1.html

Thasser nice site

Pretty pictures, but see how many mistakes you can spot on the page about
fuses at http://www.userview.net/consumerunit_fuses.html.

--
Andy

Mike Ring

"Andy Wade" wrote in
:

Pretty pictures, but see how many mistakes you can spot on the page about
fuses at http://www.userview.net/consumerunit_fuses.html.

--
Andy

You've got me there, I must confess I went straight from fusewire to MCBs.

So I guess it's not such a nice site

Mike R
ARWadsworth

"Mike Ring" wrote in message
52.50...
"Andy Wade" wrote in
:

Pretty pictures, but see how many mistakes you can spot on the page

about
fuses at http://www.userview.net/consumerunit_fuses.html.

--
Andy

You've got me there, I must confess I went straight from fusewire to MCBs.

So I guess it's not such a nice site

Mike R

I never looked further than the lighting page. I see the mistakes but I
still believe the lighting pictures are ok.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Adam

Andy Wade

"Mike Ring" wrote in message
52.50...

You've got me there, I must confess I went straight from fusewire
to MCBs.

Well this is what I sent to them via their feedback form:

There are several mistakes on your page about fuses at:
http://www.userview.net/consumerunit_fuses.html

1. The standard is BS 1361 not BS 1362 (1362 is for plug top fuses).
2. For immersion heater you meant to say 15 or 20 amp, not 5 or 20
amp!
3. For radial circuits the allowable floor areas were increased some
years ago: 50m^2 for the 20A circuit and 75m^2 for the 30A circuit.
4. Many showers (over about 7kW) will require a 45A fuse, not 30A as
stated.
5. On this page about fuses, the picture shows a consumer unit with
MCB's!"

I could have gone on: how often will a domestic immersion or storage heater
circuit require a 20A fuse?

Anyway, I received a very polite reply saying that they welcome the feedback
and will continue "to continuously improve" (sic.) the site. Oh, and could
I check all the wiring digrams for them! I think I'll send them a quotation
for doing that...

So I guess it's not such a nice site

I hadn't come across it before. The pictures are nice, most of the
electrical information is OK, but, like everything on the Web, there are
traps for the unwary novice.

--
Andy

Chris Holmes

Martin Angove wrote in message ...

Because I know you didn't mean it :-)... shouldn't it be:

Yes, should learn to put my brain in gear before engaging my typing fingers!
Chris Holmes