db

Default lighting rose driving me nuts arrrr help!!!!!!!!!

Hi I got a house 60s and I have replaced my rose with a new one.

Now I have 2 black wire one was by its self and one was wound round 1
thicker black/very dark gray wire + 2 red live wires wound together

In the old rose the 2 red went to one wire the black and gray and one of the
black went to the other connection and the last black wire to an earth that
was not wired up to anything .

I connected the 2 reds to the brow live of the new rose the gray and black
to the neutral and the final black to the earth.

When I replaced the fuse the light was inverted and was on when it should be
off and when I turned it off it blew the fuse.

So I swapped them around made no difference.

Now I have placed the thicker gray in the neutral and the live in the live
and the 2 black in the earth and now the lamp stays on all the time.

I have tried every combination, and it is either inverted or always on or
always off.

Help