Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Makita Impact Driver

The wee beastie arrived in time for the big decking job this week. I'm
simply gobsmacked!

300 sq ft of decking on three levels. This tool has saved me half a day at
least.

Two days spent building the frame with Screwfix 6 x 90 Turbo Gold Coach
Screws - which go in so fast it's just silly. Spent today screwing down the
boards with 4mm x 65mm decking screws. You can drive one in faster than you
can reach into the box to get the next one.

Why didn't someone tell me to buy an impact driver earlier?

Instead of working Saturday to finish the job, I reckon I'll be home by 3pm
Friday.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 23:00, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Why didn't someone tell me to buy an impact driver earlier?

Instead of working Saturday to finish the job, I reckon I'll be home by 3pm
Friday.

Some people tried, but it got lost in petty personality wars

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote in message
The wee beastie arrived in time for the big decking job this week. I'm
simply gobsmacked!

Why didn't someone tell me to buy an impact driver earlier?

Plenty of people who have actually used one of these have said how good they
are,
you must listen to the wrong people.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rob rob is offline

On 18 May, 06:00, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
The wee beastie arrived in time for the big decking job this week. I'm
simply gobsmacked!

300 sq ft of decking on three levels. This tool has saved me half a day at
least.

Two days spent building the frame with Screwfix 6 x 90 Turbo Gold Coach
Screws - which go in so fast it's just silly. Spent today screwing down the
boards with 4mm x 65mm decking screws. You can drive one in faster than you
can reach into the box to get the next one.

Why didn't someone tell me to buy an impact driver earlier?

Instead of working Saturday to finish the job, I reckon I'll be home by 3pm
Friday.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Try it with Square screws ( get them off ebay) no camming out they fly
in, mega impressed with mine de walt imported from the states.
drives big screws straight through sleepers no bother.
super tool

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The wee beastie arrived in time for the big decking job this week. I'm
simply gobsmacked!

Quite a revelation on big jobs like that aren't they? ;-)

Why didn't someone tell me to buy an impact driver earlier?

I think we did (although there was much noise in there as well).

There is even a FAQ on them (although to be fair it had only been
published in the group as a draft and not included in the power tools
FAQ on the web site yet.

However it does have a home in the wiki now:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Impact_driver

Instead of working Saturday to finish the job, I reckon I'll be home by 3pm
Friday.

Fixed price job I hope! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They really make nails redundant, they go in faster, easier, with less
damage, and can be taken out again - virtually no effort to add a few
more large screw to stiffen up anything that needs it.

Now you're listening to us(!) - I'll recommend this cheapy bit again:

Once you can put a socket on the front of an impact driver, it extends
it's capabilities quite a bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 09:52, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Actually the first incarnation of this type of device was designed for car
use - to allow easy wheel nut loosening in event of a puncture,

The _first_ incarnation was used on-site in the 1920s with early pre-
stressed concrete work. You could tighten these things up with a
couple of hefty Mohawks and a long spanner, but even they couldn't
undo them from the straining framework afterwards to put the stress
into the concrete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Actually the first incarnation of this type of device was designed for car
use - to allow easy wheel nut loosening in event of a puncture,

The _first_ incarnation was used on-site in the 1920s with early pre-
stressed concrete work. You could tighten these things up with a
couple of hefty Mohawks and a long spanner, but even they couldn't
undo them from the straining framework afterwards to put the stress
into the concrete.

Ah - right. Perhaps I should have said the first DIY incarnation. ;-)

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Actually the first incarnation of this type of device was designed for car
use - to allow easy wheel nut loosening in event of a puncture, etc on the
road. They ran off the car battery and took any standard 1/2" drive
socket. I wonder if the cordless ones have enough 'impact torque' to do
the same job?

The modern day cordless equivalent would be some of the bigger beasties
on this page:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...act%20Wrenches

The hex drive variant can still pack a fair punch though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

The wee beastie arrived in time for the big decking job this week. I'm
simply gobsmacked!

Quite a revelation on big jobs like that aren't they? ;-)

Aint that the truth!

There is even a FAQ on them (although to be fair it had only been
published in the group as a draft and not included in the power tools
FAQ on the web site yet.

And very good it is.

Instead of working Saturday to finish the job, I reckon I'll be home
by 3pm Friday.

Fixed price job I hope! ;-)

Oh yes! And I finished by 2pm. And they paid in £ notes. And I got it
into the bank before closing time!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
John Rumm wrote:

Fixed price job I hope! ;-)

Oh yes! And I finished by 2pm. And they paid in £ notes. And I got it
into the bank before closing time!

You paid _cash_ into the bank shakes head, you have much to learn in
this business ;-)
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
John Rumm wrote:

Fixed price job I hope! ;-)

Oh yes! And I finished by 2pm. And they paid in £ notes. And I
got it into the bank before closing time!

You paid _cash_ into the bank shakes head, you have much to learn in
this business ;-)

You have much to learn about the awesome powers of the tax man!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
They really make nails redundant, they go in faster, easier, with less
damage, and can be taken out again - virtually no effort to add a few
more large screw to stiffen up anything that needs it.

Now you're listening to us(!) - I'll recommend this cheapy bit again:

Once you can put a socket on the front of an impact driver, it extends
it's capabilities quite a bit.

Definately on my order list. I used a nut driver to put in around 200 6mm x
90mm turbo gold coach screws on this job.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I'll check that out - thanks.

I use the Wickes decking screws at the moment, but the price has increased
recently.

I also bought a pack of three Wickes 50mm titanium coated 2pz bits. One
fitted perfectly, one fitted but wouldn't 'lock' and one wouldn't even go
in. Took them back & swapped them for another pack, all of which fitted &
locked perfectly. They seem good, one bit has driven the best part of 1,000
screws with no apparent change in performance.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

You paid _cash_ into the bank shakes head, you have much to learn in
this business ;-)

You have much to learn about the awesome powers of the tax man!

You mean he is happier when *some* of the cash goes through the books? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

You paid _cash_ into the bank shakes head, you have much to learn
in this business ;-)

You have much to learn about the awesome powers of the tax man!

You mean he is happier when *some* of the cash goes through the
books? ;-)

I don't know what you mean John..........................

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
fred wrote:
You paid _cash_ into the bank shakes head, you have much to learn in
this business ;-)

You have much to learn about the awesome powers of the tax man!

And if you pay it into the bank before you go home then Mrs Medway
Handywife can't extract it out of your overall pockets.

Tut tut. A real man would spend it all in the pub before going home.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
fred wrote:
In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
John Rumm wrote:

Fixed price job I hope! ;-)

Oh yes! And I finished by 2pm. And they paid in £ notes. And I
got it into the bank before closing time!

You paid _cash_ into the bank shakes head, you have much to learn in
this business ;-)

You have much to learn about the awesome powers of the tax man!

Probably true but after successfully telling Gordon to stick IR35 up his
arse I get a little cocky.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

You have much to learn about the awesome powers of the tax man!

Probably true but after successfully telling Gordon to stick IR35 up
his arse I get a little cocky.

My lecky mate once had a full tax investigation - from what he tells me the
inspectors were thrown out of the Gestapo for excessive seal. Doesn't sound
pleasant.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-19 22:38:15 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

fred wrote:

You have much to learn about the awesome powers of the tax man!

Probably true but after successfully telling Gordon to stick IR35 up
his arse I get a little cocky.

My lecky mate once had a full tax investigation - from what he tells me the
inspectors were thrown out of the Gestapo for excessive seal. Doesn't sound
pleasant.

According to my accountant, the VAT people are considerably worse.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

wrote:
The wee beastie arrived in time for the big decking job this week. I'm
simply gobsmacked!

300 sq ft of decking on three levels. This tool has saved me half a day at
least.

Two days spent building the frame with Screwfix 6 x 90 Turbo Gold Coach
Screws - which go in so fast it's just silly. Spent today screwing down the
boards with 4mm x 65mm decking screws. You can drive one in faster than you
can reach into the box to get the next one.

Why didn't someone tell me to buy an impact driver earlier?

Instead of working Saturday to finish the job, I reckon I'll be home by 3pm
Friday.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Too true.

After reading some of the posts here, I thought I would try a Ryobi
unit.

I have recently used it to frame a hipped roof, and instead of the
normal bolt malarky, we used coach screws and the time saving is
unbelievable.

Also, used a Paslode nail gun for the first time too, and again,
incredible tool and time saver.

If anyone has used a Ryobi impact driver and also one form the
supposedly 'better' makes, is there any significant difference?

I also see that Bosch have just bought out a 10.8 lithium 100Nm impact
driver and this is the same size and shape as their excellent
screwdriver. That would definately be worth a look

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-05-19 22:38:15 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

fred wrote:

You have much to learn about the awesome powers of the tax man!

Probably true but after successfully telling Gordon to stick IR35 up
his arse I get a little cocky.

My lecky mate once had a full tax investigation - from what he tells
me the
inspectors were thrown out of the Gestapo for excessive seal. Doesn't sound
pleasant.

According to my accountant, the VAT people are considerably worse.......

Aren't they one and the same now ?

Yeah, the VAT people are exceedingly thorough

However squeaky clean you might think you are, they'll find something
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-20 00:31:04 +0100, Tony Bryer said:

On Sat, 19 May 2007 22:43:44 +0100 Andy Hall wrote :
According to my accountant, the VAT people are considerably worse.......

The first VAT inspection I had c.1990 was by a bolshy 20-something guy who
was determined to find something. After a whole morning he asked whether
my accountant had produced any accounts: he had and I passed them over.
After another half hour I was called over and formally cautioned, then
asked why the accounts showed sales of £28K and my last 4 VAT returns,
£22K. I took great pleasure in pointing out to him that if he had looked
properly the accounts were for our first 15 months trading so he should
have added up five returns. A hasty departure followed g

Yes. My wife had a very similar experience at one company where she
worked. On that occasion, there were two of them - Mr Nice and Mr
Hardball and they just wandered into the office while she was alone
there. Similar bully tactics and in the end nothing. Not that she
was responsible for the accounts anyway. Not even an apology as
they left.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And if you pay it into the bank before you go home then Mrs Medway
Handywife can't extract it out of your overall pockets.

Tut tut. A real man would spend it all in the pub before going home.

I think even a real man might have trouble drinking a whole garden deck
in one sitting ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

According to my accountant, the VAT people are considerably worse.......

I have always found the VAT folks easy to deal with. First inspection
the chap had a quick look at the files, then spent half an hour
attempting to give us money (have you claimed for your phone bill etc).
He then explained that (no offence) we were of no real interest to them
and he would schedule a return visit for seven years or something like
that. That was 1992 and they have never came back. (we get the
occasional phone call instead, with a couple of basic questions, and a
"we won't be needing to see you this time" response).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-20 00:50:15 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

According to my accountant, the VAT people are considerably worse.......

I have always found the VAT folks easy to deal with. First inspection
the chap had a quick look at the files, then spent half an hour
attempting to give us money (have you claimed for your phone bill etc).
He then explained that (no offence) we were of no real interest to them
and he would schedule a return visit for seven years or something like
that. That was 1992 and they have never came back. (we get the
occasional phone call instead, with a couple of basic questions, and a
"we won't be needing to see you this time" response).

I suspect that it does depend on your revenue and pattern of trading.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
Andy Hall wrote:

According to my accountant, the VAT people are considerably worse.......

I have always found the VAT folks easy to deal with.

Dunno about easy, but fair and straight down the line

The word "professional" springs to mind

First inspection the chap had a quick look at the files, then spent
half an hour attempting to give us money (have you claimed for your
phone bill etc). He then explained that (no offence) we were of no real
interest to them and he would schedule a return visit for seven years
or something like that. That was 1992 and they have never came back.
(we get the occasional phone call instead, with a couple of basic
questions, and a "we won't be needing to see you this time" response).

I got that over the phone

Really they are looking for crims and wrongdoers, rather than people who
make mistakes here and there

If I discover a mistake, I always phone the and tell them immediately

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
Andy Hall wrote:

According to my accountant, the VAT people are considerably worse.......

I have always found the VAT folks easy to deal with. First inspection
the chap had a quick look at the files, then spent half an hour
attempting to give us money (have you claimed for your phone bill etc).
He then explained that (no offence) we were of no real interest to them
and he would schedule a return visit for seven years or something like
that. That was 1992 and they have never came back. (we get the
occasional phone call instead, with a couple of basic questions, and a
"we won't be needing to see you this time" response).

That mirrors my own experience of the VAT man but I found the 'when did
you stop beating your wife' type questions of the IR35 witchhunt . . . sorry
PAYE compliance review a little tiresome but it never got past the first
stage.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

Really they are looking for crims and wrongdoers, rather than people who
make mistakes here and there

That was the impression I got... in fact they said as much on our first
visit. The bloke in question said they have particular sectors they will
target when they think they are trying to defraud them on a big scale.

At the time one of their targets were apparently small clothing
manufacturing sweatshops, typically staffed mostly by illegal
immigrants. Every couple of years the companies did a phoenix job owing
VAT etc a nice wodge, the new company would appear at the same address
with a couple of new directors (plucked from the shop floor - required
qualification being able to sign their name where instructed etc). I
guess carousel fraud is a favourite now.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I suspect that it does depend on your revenue and pattern of trading.

Yup, very much so.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

That mirrors my own experience of the VAT man but I found the 'when did
you stop beating your wife' type questions of the IR35 witchhunt . . . sorry
PAYE compliance review a little tiresome but it never got past the first
stage.

I can well imagine. Did you handle them yourself, or let the likes of
Accountax beat them bloody?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2007 23:00:55 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

The wee beastie arrived in time for the big decking job this week. I'm
simply gobsmacked!

300 sq ft of decking on three levels. This tool has saved me half a day at
least.

Two days spent building the frame with Screwfix 6 x 90 Turbo Gold Coach
Screws - which go in so fast it's just silly. Spent today screwing down the
boards with 4mm x 65mm decking screws. You can drive one in faster than you
can reach into the box to get the next one.

Why didn't someone tell me to buy an impact driver earlier?

Instead of working Saturday to finish the job, I reckon I'll be home by 3pm
Friday.

Good on ya Dave, you'll never go
back to the other none impact things.

I run a 14.5 volt Makita 6935FD.
I had my old 12 volt one (about 5 years old and still on
the original pair of batteries) pinched and replaced
it straight away.
There's an old saying, tools don't cost you
money they make you money.

Very true in this case.
First job I used it for was wandering over
a two story roof belting 12g pan head teks though
1.2mm gal bracing straps and 2.0mm steel purlins.
It sheared a couple of tek bits and half a dozen screws
but it must have saved me a days work at least, dragging
a lead around a roof at my age is no fun I'll tell you.
I bought heaps of new bits to do the job and I'm still
using what's left after two years.
When another driver starts skidding and stuffing up
screws and bits, the impact cuts in and keeps driving eh!

Regards

--
Bill
http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-20 01:14:27 +0100, raden said:

In message , John
Rumm writes
Andy Hall wrote:

According to my accountant, the VAT people are considerably worse.......

I have always found the VAT folks easy to deal with.

Dunno about easy, but fair and straight down the line

The word "professional" springs to mind

Like in the oldest profession? ;-)

First inspection the chap had a quick look at the files, then spent
half an hour attempting to give us money (have you claimed for your
phone bill etc). He then explained that (no offence) we were of no real
interest to them and he would schedule a return visit for seven years
or something like that. That was 1992 and they have never came back.
(we get the occasional phone call instead, with a couple of basic
questions, and a "we won't be needing to see you this time" response).

I got that over the phone

Really they are looking for crims and wrongdoers, rather than people
who make mistakes here and there

If I discover a mistake, I always phone the and tell them immediately

Indeed. I've had that situation and they have been good about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-20 04:24:27 +0100, John Rumm said:

raden wrote:

Really they are looking for crims and wrongdoers, rather than people
who make mistakes here and there

That was the impression I got... in fact they said as much on our first
visit. The bloke in question said they have particular sectors they
will target when they think they are trying to defraud them on a big
scale.

At the time one of their targets were apparently small clothing
manufacturing sweatshops, typically staffed mostly by illegal
immigrants. Every couple of years the companies did a phoenix job owing
VAT etc a nice wodge, the new company would appear at the same address
with a couple of new directors (plucked from the shop floor - required
qualification being able to sign their name where instructed etc). I
guess carousel fraud is a favourite now.

It certainly is. That is tightening up as the VAT authorities in
different countries begin to communicate better. However, there are
still substantially broken pieces. For example, it should be
possible to recover VAT incurred in other EU countries for business
purposes - e.g. if I do a trade show in France or a hotel stay in
Sweden. Unfortunately, application has to be made to the country in
question and paperwork completed in whatever language. Usually the
cost of recovery exceeds the amount involved. Of course, the VAT
authorities are not in a big hurry to fix that problem.