Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

Default Anyone recommend a smallish, cheapish combi boiler?

I need to obtain a combi boiler for a one-bed flat. I don't want to
spend a fortune as I'm selling the place soon. Are the Wicke's
offerings any good?

Does the *whole installation* have to be done by a corgi plumber, or
can I do it all myself, except for connecting it to the gas supply?

Thank you,

Jak
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2007 15:37:59 +0100, Jak wrote:

I need to obtain a combi boiler for a one-bed flat. I don't want to
spend a fortune as I'm selling the place soon. Are the Wicke's
offerings any good?

Probably not, but if you're after something to sell the place with do you
care?

Does the *whole installation* have to be done by a corgi plumber, or
can I do it all myself, except for connecting it to the gas supply?

Technically the boiler should probably be installed in its entirety by a
registered gas installer (CORGI to you) but get your installer lined up
first and find out what parts of the work he's happy for you to do

--
John Stumbles

Bitwise, byte foolish
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2007 15:37:59 +0100, Jak wrote:

I need to obtain a combi boiler for a one-bed flat. I don't want to
spend a fortune as I'm selling the place soon. Are the Wicke's
offerings any good?

Does the *whole installation* have to be done by a corgi plumber, or
can I do it all myself, except for connecting it to the gas supply?

Thank you,

The Boiler Choice FAQ certainly answers some of your questions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jak wrote:

I need to obtain a combi boiler for a one-bed flat. I don't want to
spend a fortune as I'm selling the place soon. Are the Wicke's
offerings any good?

IIRC, they are made by Halstead... which is not particularly reassuring
but there are worse ones out there. They are probably ok for a basic
boiler (especially if you won't be owning it for much longer)

Does the *whole installation* have to be done by a corgi plumber, or
can I do it all myself, except for connecting it to the gas supply?

You can do all the rads etc yourself. Your fitter may agree to let you
do most of the boiler as well. You could do the lot yourself if you can
claim "competence".

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

On Mon, 14 May 2007 19:17:20 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

IIRC, they are made by Halstead... which is not particularly reassuring
but there are worse ones out there. They are probably ok for a basic
boiler (especially if you won't be owning it for much longer)

Does the *whole installation* have to be done by a corgi plumber, or
can I do it all myself, except for connecting it to the gas supply?

You can do all the rads etc yourself. Your fitter may agree to let you
do most of the boiler as well. You could do the lot yourself if you can
claim "competence".

Thanks.. How does one claim "competence"? Would the fact that I've
done it successfully before (before the corgi regs came in) class me
as "competent" by the powers that be? If not, what is the likely
backlash, if I just go ahead and do the whole job? I'd certainly like
to avoid paying a corgi plumber - if doing so isn't going to invite
headachey beurocratic problems.

Cheers,

Jak

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:16:04 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

The Boiler Choice FAQ certainly answers some of your questions.

I will look. Thanks...

Jak

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

On Mon, 14 May 2007 17:58:43 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

Probably not, but if you're after something to sell the place with do you
care?

Not much.... unless I change my mind about selling the place... I
wouldn't like to by a model/brand that's widely known to be a pig in a
poke.

Does the *whole installation* have to be done by a corgi plumber, or
can I do it all myself, except for connecting it to the gas supply?

Technically the boiler should probably be installed in its entirety by a
registered gas installer (CORGI to you) but get your installer lined up
first and find out what parts of the work he's happy for you to do

Thanks for the suggestions,

Jak

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

On Mon, 14 May 2007 19:33:13 +0100, Owain
wrote:

2. If you are not a member of a self-certification scheme (such as
CORGI) then you need Building Regs approval including compliance with
Part L of the Building Regulations.

Doing all the radiators yourself but leaving the supply and fit of the
boiler and flue to the CORGI is probably a sensible compromise.

Thanks for clarifying.

If you let the CORGI supply the boiler then he can't quibble about whose
fault it is if it doesn't work later.

The corgi plumbers I have used in the past seem to charge extortionate
amounts for the parts they supply. If I buy a boiler with a guarantee,
from a DIY chain, such as Wickes, and get a corgi to install it,
wouldn't this generally be a cost-saving option?

Jak

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jak wrote:

Thanks.. How does one claim "competence"? Would the fact that I've
done it successfully before (before the corgi regs came in) class me
as "competent" by the powers that be? If not, what is the likely

There is not legal definition it seems (the statuary instrument uses the
phrase without defining it, so ultimately it would be up to the courts
to define should push ever come to shove). CORGI registration is
required if you do the work professionally, but not for stuff you DIY.

Have a read of Ed's excellent gas fitting FAQ:

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

My take on it is that if you can reliably make joints, can learn how to
work out the pipe sizing, how to pressure drop test a system, and how to
purge it, along with carry out anything required in the boilers install
manual, then you are a good deal of the way to being competent for that
particular job (rather than being a gas fitter in general).

backlash, if I just go ahead and do the whole job? I'd certainly like
to avoid paying a corgi plumber - if doing so isn't going to invite
headachey beurocratic problems.

Well if you do it right then not much. There is the requirement now that
new heating installs are red taped by building control (to state the
comply with the required energy saving measures). To cross all the tees
etc, you would probably need to involve them in some way (someone will
be along in a mo to specify how).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jak wrote:

The corgi plumbers I have used in the past seem to charge extortionate
amounts for the parts they supply. If I buy a boiler with a guarantee,
from a DIY chain, such as Wickes, and get a corgi to install it,
wouldn't this generally be a cost-saving option?

Maybe, maybe not. The CORGI (assuming he can be arsed to do the job at
all) may just jack his labour costs to compensate for loss of profit on
the boiler. You then also have the problem of what happens if it does
not work - who picks up the tab to sort it out.

It would probably only make sense to buy the boiler yourself if you were
also doing the fitting, If you are getting someone else to fit, then let
them supply so that they also own responsibility.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:55:13 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

[...]

That's very helpful. Thank you. Perhaps I can 'DIM' after all... but
hope not to come unstuck with the requirements of the new "HIP" (home
information packs).

Jak
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jak" wrote

I need to obtain a combi boiler for a one-bed flat. I don't want to
spend a fortune as I'm selling the place soon. Are the Wicke's
offerings any good?

Does the *whole installation* have to be done by a corgi plumber, or
can I do it all myself, except for connecting it to the gas supply?

Don't forget the "Prat P" issue if the boiler is in a kitchen

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:48:24 +0100, Jak wrote:

The corgi plumbers I have used in the past seem to charge extortionate
amounts for the parts they supply. If I buy a boiler with a guarantee,
from a DIY chain, such as Wickes, and get a corgi to install it,
wouldn't this generally be a cost-saving option?

Maybe but as I said agree it with a fitter first: some will be OK about
signing off just about anything that isn't actually spewing gas or fumes
into the room, some will be more conservative.

--
John Stumbles

I used to be forgetful but now I ... um ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:24:17 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Jak" wrote

I need to obtain a combi boiler for a one-bed flat. I don't want to
spend a fortune as I'm selling the place soon. Are the Wicke's
offerings any good?

Does the *whole installation* have to be done by a corgi plumber, or
can I do it all myself, except for connecting it to the gas supply?

Don't forget the "Prat P" issue if the boiler is in a kitchen

Hi Phil,
Where does Part P come into it? Could you clarify?

Jak

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need to obtain a combi boiler for a one-bed flat. I don't want to
spend a fortune as I'm selling the place soon. Are the Wicke's
offerings any good?

Does the *whole installation* have to be done by a corgi plumber, or
can I do it all myself, except for connecting it to the gas supply?

Don't forget the "Prat P" issue if the boiler is in a kitchen

Phil

Hi Phil,
Where does Part-P come into play? Could you clarify? Why does locating
a boiler in a kitchen have a bearing on the matter?

Thanks

Jak

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jak wrote:

Where does Part-P come into play? Could you clarify? Why does locating
a boiler in a kitchen have a bearing on the matter?

If there were not already an adjacent fused connection unit to connect
the boiler to, then that would require modification or addition to a
circuit in a "special location" which is a notifiable under part pee.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

On Thu, 17 May 2007 14:33:18 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Where does Part-P come into play? Could you clarify? Why does locating
a boiler in a kitchen have a bearing on the matter?

If there were not already an adjacent fused connection unit to connect
the boiler to, then that would require modification or addition to a
circuit in a "special location" which is a notifiable under part pee.

Thanks. If I put a 3-pin plug on the boiler's cable and plug it into a
regular socket connected to the ring main, is that satisfactory, or is
something more exotic required? There is already a standard socket
near the planned boiler location that I could use.

Jak

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jak wrote:

Thanks. If I put a 3-pin plug on the boiler's cable and plug it into a
regular socket connected to the ring main, is that satisfactory,

The fact that the boiler is a bit of fixed equipment means that the
wiring you do for it also counts as fixed wiring, even if you do use a
plug and socket.

something more exotic required? There is already a standard socket
near the planned boiler location that I could use.

If you look at part pee he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADP_2006.pdf

See the additional notes section on page 10, section (h). (also have a
look at (n) while you are there).

That introduces an exemption if the socket you are connecting to is
already there. So in this case although the boiler is fixed equipment
the work is not notifiable if no new wiring is done to facilitate its
connection.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Where does Part-P come into play? Could you clarify? Why does locating
a boiler in a kitchen have a bearing on the matter?

If there were not already an adjacent fused connection unit to connect
the boiler to, then that would require modification or addition to a
circuit in a "special location" which is a notifiable under part pee.

Thanks. If I put a 3-pin plug on the boiler's cable and plug it into a
regular socket connected to the ring main, is that satisfactory, or is
something more exotic required? There is already a standard socket
near the planned boiler location that I could use.

Jak

Only if the socket is an unswitched one (which are uncommon but available).
Also there will the cable for the thermostat/progstat (you might be able
to get around that with a wireless unit).

Finally there is the matter of Part J (heat producing appliances) and Part
L (energy efficiency) notifications.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:08:43 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

Only if the socket is an unswitched one (which are uncommon but available).

Thanks. Why does it have to be an unswitched socket?

Jak

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jak Jak is offline

On Thu, 17 May 2007 15:25:47 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

See the additional notes section on page 10, section (h). (also have a
look at (n) while you are there).

That introduces an exemption if the socket you are connecting to is
already there. So in this case although the boiler is fixed equipment
the work is not notifiable if no new wiring is done to facilitate its
connection.

I was wondering what (n) meant by 'central heating control wiring'.
Surely they can't mean the low-voltage wires going to a room stat,
etc?

Jak

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2007 21:10:29 UTC, Jak wrote:

I was wondering what (n) meant by 'central heating control wiring'.
Surely they can't mean the low-voltage wires going to a room stat,
etc?

All the room stats I've seen are wired at mains voltage. Now,
technically, that *is* "low voltage", but probably not what you meant...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jak wrote:

I was wondering what (n) meant by 'central heating control wiring'.
Surely they can't mean the low-voltage wires going to a room stat,
etc?

Wiring between room stat, programmer, tank stat, motorised valves etc.
Most of which *is* actually mains and not low voltage.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Switched sockets don't comply as many of them are single-pole switched.
Therefore an unswitched one must be used, forcing the plug to be
withdrawn for isolation, which will isolate both poles.

Simply switching off at the socket is not guaranteed to provide isolation.

I wonder how you read the "rules" if you have an existing socket and
replace it with a FCU to hook the boiler to. Its not adding new wiring
just replacing an accessory (which is allowed even in a kitchen)?

--
Cheers,

John.

Shed door - Cheapish timber 51 UK diy 4 December 10th 06 01:01 AM
Recommend me a Combi VisionSet UK diy 3 April 6th 06 05:32 PM
WICKS combi 82, Halstead combi boiler [email protected] UK diy 3 September 12th 05 02:02 AM
Complicated central Heating; Back-Boiler and Combi-Boiler tfc715 UK diy 1 February 3rd 05 05:30 PM
Anyone recommend a combi that works well on low water pressure? Christian McArdle UK diy 5 August 16th 03 11:17 AM