Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

Default Recommend me a Combi

3 Bed Semi
Boiler location: ground floor external wall, simple straight out horizontal
flue, possible requirement for future extension of flue as may build garage
up to that wall. Only possible dimension restricting choice is height of
1200mm.
Willing to pay for quality and high flow.

I know you like your Worcester Bosch on here, but I have heard they have
lousy aftersales and service in practice.

Gas supply is 22mm from meter over 5mtrs with nothing teed off before and
only a 9Kw fire after. Is this likely to be okay?

I've done the umming and arring over several years, combi it is and location
decided. I just need to decide whether to go for a storage combi and/or
more power.

I've read the FAQ, but couldn't see it say I could keep my 15mm radiator
pipework? I realise it may show up leaks.

TIA,
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mogweed.

"VisionSet" wrote in message
[...]

We've got an Alpha CD32C with the EasyStat 7-day wireless
thermostat/programmer/timer thingy and it's excellent. Can't say anything as
to it's longevity because we've only had it a few months but it's very quiet
in operation, very efficient and comes with a 3-year manufacturers warranty.

Heartily recommended - www.alpha-boilers.co.uk

Mogweed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:48:27 +0000, VisionSet wrote:

[...]

The 15mm pipework should be fine, it just needs cleaning out.

The help you narrow the choice you should consider if you have the 2.5
meters to the property boundary, if not then a plume diverter should help.

Along with the usual suspects.
The top end of the market probably includes:

Worcester Bosch
Vaillant
Veismann
Eco Hometec
Boulter Bruderus.
Alpha (apparently they have reinvented themselves form the near the bottom!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I've read the FAQ, but couldn't see it say I could keep my 15mm radiator
pipework? I realise it may show up leaks.

A modern condensing boiler works more efficiently with a larger temperature
differential between flow and return. In practice this means that with a
modern boiler you can run MORE radiator capacity off the same bore pipework,
even if you intend to reduce the flow temperature.

Christian.

Combi fans: is bigger better Fred UK diy 150 September 20th 04 05:27 PM
Water flow rate problem and Combi boiler Andrew Beck UK diy 15 September 3rd 04 11:00 PM
Condensing combi boilers Lynne Chapman UK diy 5 August 23rd 04 01:38 AM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM