Posted to uk.d-i-y
Des Des is offline

Default Conservatory Access Ladders

Hi

Does anyone have experience of these ladders or anything similar?

There's an example here :-
http://www.laddersafetyproductsdirec...93700054ebf62c

I'm hoping to able to use one to paint the rendering above my conservatory -
this would involve standing up on the ladder. Would this be a problem, ie
are they only suitable for crawing along?

Also, any recommended makes and suppliers - hopefully for hire rather than
for sale.

Thanks
Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Des" wrote in message

Hi

Does anyone have experience of these ladders or anything similar?

There's an example here :-
http://www.laddersafetyproductsdirec...93700054ebf62c

I'm hoping to able to use one to paint the rendering above my
conservatory - this would involve standing up on the ladder. Would this be
a problem, ie are they only suitable for crawing along?

Also, any recommended makes and suppliers - hopefully for hire rather than
for sale.

Thanks
Des

I don't know, but I'm flabbergasted(!) to note that they consider a ladder
to be adequately secured using a suction cup on double glazing!!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Des Des is offline

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
news

I don't know, but I'm flabbergasted(!) to note that they consider a ladder
to be adequately secured using a suction cup on double glazing!!

Peter

Thanks

As I understand it the suction cups just act as stand-offs rather than as a
means of securing the ladder. The real stability looks to come from the
cross bearers resting on the roof members, plus there is an additional
safety strap you can secure to the conservatory ridge. Provided you get the
base levelled and the cat-ladder strapped on, the assembly look pretty
stable to me compared with a regular ladder.

But there's no substitute for experience.

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Des" wrote in message

Hi

Does anyone have experience of these ladders or anything similar?

There's an example here :-
http://www.laddersafetyproductsdirec...93700054ebf62c

I'm hoping to able to use one to paint the rendering above my
conservatory - this would involve standing up on the ladder. Would this be
a problem, ie are they only suitable for crawing along?

Also, any recommended makes and suppliers - hopefully for hire rather than
for sale.

Interesting. I note the roof loading becomes a point load on two bearers.
Why not just use a piece of chipboard flooring either lengthways or across
depending on the rafter spacing. Cheaper and distributes the loading more
evenly. Can't say I feel hugely safe when accessing my conservatory roof
that way but your ladder wouldn't make it any safer.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Des Des is offline

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message
.uk...

"Des" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I was thinking along similar lines myself - could even attach some
lengths of batten to give better grip when standing.
Have you actuall done this? How did you secure the chipboard to stop it
sliding down?

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Des" wrote in message

[...]

I just rest the chipboard on the rafters which are textured wood effect and
about 25deg pitch. Never seemed likely to slip. If it was steeper I guess
I'd need to think about how to reduce that risk. I do worry a bit about
the load bearing strength of the roof when I'm up there and have thought
about propping but never bothered.

Jim A

Loft access ladders CptDondo Home Repair 12 December 28th 06 12:56 PM
Ladders- where do I go? [email protected] Home Repair 5 November 20th 06 05:29 PM
Ladders MrBlueSkye UK diy 10 October 19th 05 09:45 PM
Ladders keith UK diy 6 July 20th 05 11:59 AM
Ladders David W.E. Roberts UK diy 7 August 11th 03 07:38 PM