David W.E. Roberts

Default Ladders

"W depoitieres" wrote in message
I am going to paint the front of the house and I need a ladder about 7
metres long. I can't seem to find two section extension ladders with
pulleys. If they are all without pulleys how do you extend them? Would it

be
a better idea to buy a three section ladder?

Depends on the overlap and the length of the original ladders.
Assuming you are about 6' tall you should be able to reach up about 7'6" to
push up the second laddder by hand.
So if you have two 5m ladders you can achieve the combined length without
pulleys.
Hmmm...then again you need a slope for safety so you need a longer reach
than that :-(

For shorter ladder lengths without pulleys you have to either use a 'pushing
device' such as a piece of wood to extend the ladder when it is upright, or
extend it on the ground first (which will then require a lot of space and
muscle to get it upright).

Builders who have no fear stand on the lower bit, lean back a bit then
extend the upper bit in jerks up the wall.
Not my idea of fun.
Not recommended for obvious reasons.

To decorate the front of a house I would recommend hiring a scaffolding
tower - much easier and safer to work from :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Conrad Edwards

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 06:31:09 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

I use two methods...
1) extend the ladder on the ground. then lift it.....ok if not too
extended
2) Walk it up the wall a rung at a time...lean the ladder against the
wall...pull it out a bit and lift the second section up so the top
'walks' up the wall.
BigWallop

"W depoitieres" wrote in message
I am going to paint the front of the house and I need a ladder about 7
metres long. I can't seem to find two section extension ladders with
pulleys. If they are all without pulleys how do you extend them? Would it

be
a better idea to buy a three section ladder?

If you're rising up a ladder to seven metres you'll only get a small section
painted at a time. A lot of coming and going up and down the ladder in my
mind. Hire a cherry picker for the day and do the whole thing properly and
SAFELY !!!!

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:

If you're rising up a ladder to seven metres you'll only get a small section
painted at a time. A lot of coming and going up and down the ladder in my
mind. Hire a cherry picker for the day and do the whole thing properly and
SAFELY !!!!

What sort of cost is that?
Someone used to park one down my road every night, but I haven't seen
it for a while now. Are they DIY, or you you have to get the company
to rig up the stabalisers, etc, as I could imagine one used by someone
who doesn't know what they're doing toppling over.

--
Andrew Gabriel

"W depoitieres" wrote in message
I am going to paint the front of the house and I need a ladder about 7
metres long. I can't seem to find two section extension ladders with
pulleys.

Industrial suppliers have them.

If they are all without pulleys how do you extend them?

You can usually extend an aluminium ladder on the ground, then stand it up.
I wouldn't want to try that alone with my 3.5m GRP one though.

Would it be
a better idea to buy a three section ladder?

It will be easier to store.

Personally, for painting an entire side of a house, I would go for
scaffolding.

Colin Bignell

Martin Angove

In message ,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:

If you're rising up a ladder to seven metres you'll only get a small
section painted at a time. A lot of coming and going up and down the
ladder in my mind. Hire a cherry picker for the day and do the whole
thing properly and SAFELY !!!!

What sort of cost is that?
Someone used to park one down my road every night, but I haven't seen
it for a while now. Are they DIY, or you you have to get the company
to rig up the stabalisers, etc, as I could imagine one used by someone
who doesn't know what they're doing toppling over.

Just to say, cherry pickers can be great fun, but also very scary. I
used to drive a large (70ft boom) machine at a previous place of
employment. It was great because it had a huge stable base and needed no
stabilisers, you could drive it to site (private roads etc.) and get up
to the workplace without having to get down and set it up.

The scary thing was that the tyres made it rather "soft" and it bounced
around quite a bit as you moved the boom - particularly at full stretch
- as I found out while taking my "IPAF" licence test.

Not very good on uneven or sloping ground though...

....if you ever get the chance to have a go in a cherry picker, do so :-)
....but scaffolding may well be cheaper.

Hwyl!

Martin.

--
Martin Angove:
http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
jerrybuilt

W depoitieres wrote:
I can't seem to find two section extension ladders
with pulleys. If they are all without pulleys how
do you extend them?

Using a piece of braided rope.

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com