keith

Default Ladders

I want to buy some ladders for getting on to my roof.It would be a great
help if someone could help me with what size i need.The distance from ground
to gutter is 5m.....Thanks for any replies

Alan Holmes

"keith" wrote in message
I want to buy some ladders for getting on to my roof.It would be a great
help if someone could help me with what size i need.The distance from
ground to gutter is 5m.....Thanks for any replies

A 20 foot ladder would do.

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

OG

"keith" wrote in message
I want to buy some ladders for getting on to my roof.It would be a great
help if someone could help me with what size i need.The distance from
ground to gutter is 5m.....Thanks for any replies

As another question, "how safe is it to walk on the roof itself?"
When we had the TV aerial fixed a couple of years ago the guy used the
ladder to get onto the roof at gutter height and then walked up the tiles to
the chimney.
I'd be concerned about 2 things, damage to the roof, but more significantly,
the risk of shoes losing grip and me ending as a jammy heap in the garden.

How many people here play the mountain goat on the tiles?

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"OG" writes:

As another question, "how safe is it to walk on the roof itself?"
When we had the TV aerial fixed a couple of years ago the guy used the
ladder to get onto the roof at gutter height and then walked up the tiles to
the chimney.

When I had my chimney repointed, the chap slid every other roof tile
up under the one above it, and then used the exposed battons to walk
all round the chimney.

I'd be concerned about 2 things, damage to the roof, but more significantly,
the risk of shoes losing grip and me ending as a jammy heap in the garden.

The other risk is that of losing your balance. This is easy to do
when the surface you are walking on is a long way from horizontal,
and you are more devoid of visible horizontal and vertical reference
points than you are used to when walking on the ground, so two of
the sensory inputs subconciously involved with balance are feeding
the brain misleading information.

--
Andrew Gabriel

John Rumm

OG wrote:

As another question, "how safe is it to walk on the roof itself?"

Erm, that depends on the pitch of the roof, the type of tile, how good
the tile battens are, how heavy you are, and the shoes you are wearing!

When we had the TV aerial fixed a couple of years ago the guy used the
ladder to get onto the roof at gutter height and then walked up the tiles to
the chimney.

Hmm same here many years ago. Aerial installer simply walked up the
ridge of the hipped roof, then along the top ridge to the chimney.

I'd be concerned about 2 things, damage to the roof, but more significantly,
the risk of shoes losing grip and me ending as a jammy heap in the garden.

How many people here play the mountain goat on the tiles?

When I walked on the roof recently (mid loft conversion) all that
happened is about one in ten tiles broke! Probably not a problem if you
are built like a whippet though.

Hence if I need to venture onto the slope I lay a ladder along it with a
ridge hook on the top. A duck board would work also (long wide plank
with foot rails fixed to the surface every so often).

--
Cheers,

John.

Rick

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:39:49 +0100, "OG"
wrote:

"keith" wrote in message
I want to buy some ladders for getting on to my roof.It would be a great
help if someone could help me with what size i need.The distance from
ground to gutter is 5m.....Thanks for any replies

As another question, "how safe is it to walk on the roof itself?"
When we had the TV aerial fixed a couple of years ago the guy used the
ladder to get onto the roof at gutter height and then walked up the tiles to
the chimney.
I'd be concerned about 2 things, damage to the roof, but more significantly,
the risk of shoes losing grip and me ending as a jammy heap in the garden.

How many people here play the mountain goat on the tiles?

It depends upon the angle of the roof, the type of tile, and the
weather.

Steep wet slate is not climbable, shallow dry concrete textured tiles
are.

Rick