Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Granite / marble worktop

Where can i get a black piece cut, edges rounded and polished, 90cm X 70cm,
30mm thick, for a reasonable price?

cheers

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-27 08:51:54 +0100, "R.P.McMurphy"
said:

Where can i get a black piece cut, edges rounded and polished, 90cm X 70cm,
30mm thick, for a reasonable price?

cheers

Steve

Lots of places. Google and Yellow Pages are the place to start.

Preferably find a local supplier with his own workshop because a lot of
the cost with granite is in transport.

BTW. if this is for a kitchen, marble is not suitable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-27 08:51:54 +0100, "R.P.McMurphy"
said:

Where can i get a black piece cut, edges rounded and polished, 90cm X
70cm,
30mm thick, for a reasonable price?

cheers

Steve

Lots of places. Google and Yellow Pages are the place to start.

Preferably find a local supplier with his own workshop because a lot of
the cost with granite is in transport.

BTW. if this is for a kitchen, marble is not suitable.

it is for the kitchen, but only for a pastry prep area. I did try Google,
but some of the prices the online calculator were quoting £400+!

Steve
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-27 18:12:44 +0100, "R.P.McMurphy"

On 2007-04-27 08:51:54 +0100, "R.P.McMurphy"
said:

Where can i get a black piece cut, edges rounded and polished, 90cm X
70cm,
30mm thick, for a reasonable price?

cheers

Steve

Lots of places. Google and Yellow Pages are the place to start.

Preferably find a local supplier with his own workshop because a lot of
the cost with granite is in transport.

BTW. if this is for a kitchen, marble is not suitable.

it is for the kitchen, but only for a pastry prep area. I did try Google,
but some of the prices the online calculator were quoting £400+!

They can be. It depends on what you buy. What were you expecting to
pay? Much of the cost after transport is in machining and
finishing. If you can simplify profiling, it may reduce the cost a
little.

If the area is only for soft preparation, marble might be OK, but it is
sensitive to acids, any abrasion, cutting marks and stains. If you
can be certain these won't occur then fair enough, but it seems a tall
order in a kitchen. Blackcurrant pie filling spilled on the marble?
You can seal it, but there is still quite a risk. I have marble wall
tiles in the kitchen and they are sealed with the proper material -
Lithofin in multiple applications, but anything that comes into contact
is still wiped off immediately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Apr, 08:51, "R.P.McMurphy"
wrote:
Where can i get a black piece cut, edges rounded and polished, 90cm X 70cm,
30mm thick, for a reasonable price?

cheers

Steve

Check out GoldStone Direct on ebay. I did my whole kitchen for less
than 200 UKP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-27 08:51:54 +0100, "R.P.McMurphy"
said:

Where can i get a black piece cut, edges rounded and polished, 90cm X
70cm,
30mm thick, for a reasonable price?

cheers

Steve

Lots of places. Google and Yellow Pages are the place to start.

Preferably find a local supplier with his own workshop because a lot of
the cost with granite is in transport.

BTW. if this is for a kitchen, marble is not suitable.

it is for the kitchen, but only for a pastry prep area. I did try Google,
but some of the prices the online calculator were quoting £400+!

That's not unreasonable..good thick marble is around 100/sq meter..or more.

I have a load of 20mm marble sheets which are just cuttable with a tile
saw if you want some. West Suffolk area.

I took some to a place in Cambridge to get them glued together and cut
and polished to make a vanity unit top..the cost was in the hundreds
just for that..but about half what it would have been using THEIR marble.

Steve
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-27 08:51:54 +0100, "R.P.McMurphy"
said:

[...]

thanks for the offer, but I've put some feelers out locally and should be
able to get it done for £200 which is around what i was expecting/prepared
to pay.

Steve

applying marble or granite over brick fireplace hoops Home Repair 0 April 15th 06 07:38 PM
Granite Worktop Repairs UK diy 5 March 28th 06 02:14 PM
drilling granite worktop Alistair Riddell UK diy 10 May 19th 05 02:30 PM
Finally, all the informatoin I need about granite and marble care Justin Home Ownership 0 September 4th 04 09:24 PM
Granite worktop span Christian McArdle UK diy 7 February 9th 04 11:11 AM