Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Granite / marble worktop

On 2007-04-27 18:12:44 +0100, "R.P.McMurphy"

On 2007-04-27 08:51:54 +0100, "R.P.McMurphy"
said:

Where can i get a black piece cut, edges rounded and polished, 90cm X
70cm,
30mm thick, for a reasonable price?

cheers

Steve

Lots of places. Google and Yellow Pages are the place to start.

Preferably find a local supplier with his own workshop because a lot of
the cost with granite is in transport.

BTW. if this is for a kitchen, marble is not suitable.

it is for the kitchen, but only for a pastry prep area. I did try Google,
but some of the prices the online calculator were quoting £400+!

They can be. It depends on what you buy. What were you expecting to
pay? Much of the cost after transport is in machining and
finishing. If you can simplify profiling, it may reduce the cost a
little.

If the area is only for soft preparation, marble might be OK, but it is
sensitive to acids, any abrasion, cutting marks and stains. If you
can be certain these won't occur then fair enough, but it seems a tall
order in a kitchen. Blackcurrant pie filling spilled on the marble?
You can seal it, but there is still quite a risk. I have marble wall
tiles in the kitchen and they are sealed with the proper material -
Lithofin in multiple applications, but anything that comes into contact
is still wiped off immediately.