Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concentric Mixer Taps

Hello,

I've a mixer taps with two concentric holes on the spout and I'm
trying to get a definitive answer as to which way around the hot and
cold should be. In all my experience of such taps, the hot has
emerged through the central hole, and the cold through the outer,
although I can find nothing that definitively states that this should
be the case.

The property we've just moved into has the hot and the cold the other
way round, but also had the red and blue caps on the wrong sides, so
I'm inclined to believe that the tap has just been fitted backwards!
The developer doesn't seem to believe this however, and just wants to
swap the caps round, so it would be nice to have something written to
convince them.

If anyone can confirm exactly how such taps should be connected, it
would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Apr 2007 06:03:53 -0700 someone who may be Chris
wrote this:-

I've a mixer taps with two concentric holes on the spout and I'm
trying to get a definitive answer as to which way around the hot and
cold should be. In all my experience of such taps, the hot has
emerged through the central hole, and the cold through the outer,
although I can find nothing that definitively states that this should
be the case.

There is probably nothing "official" to state this. I hope officials
have better things to do with their time than draw up silly rules.

However, the reason for having the cold on the outside is so the
spout remains cool to the touch. If the "developer" won't fix this
snag then deduct some money from their payment to cover having it
put right.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-24 15:58:10 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

I've a mixer taps with two concentric holes on the spout and I'm
trying to get a definitive answer as to which way around the hot and
cold should be. In all my experience of such taps, the hot has
emerged through the central hole, and the cold through the outer,
although I can find nothing that definitively states that this should
be the case.

There is probably nothing "official" to state this. I hope officials
have better things to do with their time than draw up silly rules.

So would I, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

However, the reason for having the cold on the outside is so the
spout remains cool to the touch. If the "developer" won't fix this
snag then deduct some money from their payment to cover having it
put right.

The other test would be that if the handle operating the hot is on the
right, the tap is connected wrongly. Convention is hot on the left.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:21:45 UTC, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:58:10 +0100 David Hansen wrote :
However, the reason for having the cold on the outside is so the
spout remains cool to the touch. If the "developer" won't fix this
snag then deduct some money from their payment to cover having it
put right.

I may be wrong, but I'm sure my previous sink mixer ran the cold up
the middle. If you had the traditional mains cold and LP hot it would
be sensible to run the cold through the smaller area. I don't think
your argument really holds given that most mixer spouts are just
divided. And if I'm appearing as witness for the other side I'd point
out that hot down the outside stops the spout getting covered in
condensation g

Ours is a single lever thing so can't be fitted back to front. And it
does hot down the middle!

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Apr 2007 06:03:53 -0700, Chris wrote:

[...]

The hot water should be in the outer annulus and the cold water should
be in the inner bore. The hot water then acts as a blanket during the
cold weather and stops the cold creeping up the pipe and in to the
bathroom.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 24, 2:03 pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

Hi

I believe the cold should be on the outside so as to prevent scalding
by coming directly into contact with the unmixed hot water.

Steve

Mixer taps [email protected] UK diy 0 November 26th 06 05:42 PM
mixer taps davemo UK diy 11 November 9th 06 02:06 PM
Mixer Taps david lang UK diy 4 January 7th 06 02:58 PM
Bl***y mixer taps. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 46 January 6th 06 01:31 AM
mixer-taps Bob UK diy 1 February 13th 05 09:44 PM