Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Bl***y mixer taps.

Decided to fit a nice shiny new one in the kitchen. 1/2" inputs,
obviously, since my hot water comes from a storage system with a header
tank. First thing was that the 1/2" threads were about 1/2" longer than
the old fitting, and the pipes to it rigid copper and of course not that
easy to get at. So decide to cut down the threads to match the old. Get it
all done to discover the internals of the damn thing must be for high
pressure stuff as the hot flow is far worse than before. Even the cold
seems lower too.

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Get it all done to discover the internals of the damn thing must be
for high pressure stuff as the hot flow is far worse than before.
Even the cold seems lower too.

Yes, most modern taps require high pressure supply. You have to hunt for low
pressure ones.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...

Decided to fit a nice shiny new one
in the kitchen.

That sounds nice.

1/2" inputs,

That is standard.

obviously, since my hot water comes
from a storage system with a header
tank. First thing was that the 1/2"
threads were about 1/2" longer than
the old fitting, and the pipes to it
rigid copper and of course not that
easy to get at. So decide to cut down
the threads to match the old.

You what?

Get it all done to discover the
internals of the damn thing must be for high
pressure stuff as the hot flow is far worse
than before. Even the cold
seems lower too.

There are low and high pressure taps. You should have asked me before they
allowed you into the tool box. Richard, now you can't even take them back.
Now you will have to use buckets all the time to take water from the
bathroom to the kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

So decide to cut down
the threads to match the old.

You what?

I must admit I missed that!

Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a LOT worse than cutting plastic pipe
with a hacksaw! ;-)

I'm amazed it sealed.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Christian McArdle wrote, removing *all* attributions this time:
So decide to cut down
the threads to match the old.

You what?

Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a LOT worse than cutting plastic pipe
with a hacksaw! ;-)

I'm amazed it sealed.

Why? Easy job for someone "handy".

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I'm amazed it sealed.

Why? Easy job for someone "handy".

Because the end is the seal and it should have a machined end. I suppose you
could go at it with a file to make it smooth and square and use a thick
washer and a dab of LS-X, but it seems like a lot of bother and would surely
invalidate the guarantee.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Christian McArdle wrote:
[ snip ]

It would be far less confusing (and irritating) if you
were to simply top-post, instead of continually ballsing
the atts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

It would be far less confusing (and irritating) if you
were to simply top-post, instead of continually ballsing
the atts.

I do not state the writer's name, as a mixture of top and bottom posting by
subsequent authors can cause misattribution. You can always go back up the
thread to work out who said what and this would be much more reliable that
the usually incorrect quotes.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message

So decide to cut down
the threads to match the old.

You what?

I must admit I missed that!

Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a
LOT worse than cutting plastic pipe
with a hacksaw! ;-)

Cutting platic pipe with a hacksaw is normal thing to do in the hands of a
craftsman.

I'm amazed it sealed.

All he had to do was cut back the copper using a ratchet pipe cutter and
install some flexible tap connectors. Boy is he dumb. His boiler hasn't
been serviced for 18 years and now this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Christian McArdle wrote:
It would be far less confusing (and irritating) if you
were to simply top-post, instead of continually ballsing
the atts.

I do not state the writer's name, as a mixture of top and bottom posting by
subsequent authors can cause misattribution.

Quite, my statement was somewhat tongue in cheek. However..

You can always go back up the
thread to work out who said what

I (and everyone else) should not have to do that. There
are various "how to post" articles around which may be
useful in explaining this. You wouldn't (*I hope*) post
without including any context at all, which IMO is nearly
as bad.

and this would be much more reliable that
the usually incorrect quotes.

It's easy to quote correctly, just because a minority of
others can't or won't doesn't mean that you should join
them, which you are doing, by posting with no flippin'
atts. *at all*.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote, removing *all* attributions this time:
So decide to cut down
the threads to match the old.

You what?

Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a LOT worse than cutting plastic
pipe
with a hacksaw! ;-)

I'm amazed it sealed.

Why? Easy job for someone "handy".

Richard Cranium always cuts himself when using tools

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
So decide to cut down
the threads to match the old.

You what?

I must admit I missed that!

This is a classic. This must go in the FAQ on how not to do things

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote:
Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a
LOT worse than cutting plastic pipe
with a hacksaw! ;-)

All he had to do was cut back the copper using a ratchet pipe cutter and
install some flexible tap connectors.

Flexible tap connectors are horrible things, it's easy
to do a proper job and not use them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:07:57 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

So decide to cut down
the threads to match the old.

You what?

I must admit I missed that!

Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a LOT worse than cutting plastic pipe
with a hacksaw! ;-)

I'm amazed it sealed.

If he filed the end flat, square and smooth I don't think he was asking
too much. Although I would have looked to see if the supply pipe could
have been shortened which would be very easy with a pipe slicer and a
couple of speedfits.

Generally the two hole mixers tend to be suitable for lower pressure
supplies. Has the end of the spout got an aerator?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote:
Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a
LOT worse than cutting plastic pipe
with a hacksaw! ;-)

All he had to do was cut back the copper using a ratchet pipe cutter and
install some flexible tap connectors.

Flexible tap connectors are horrible things, it's easy
to do a proper job and not use them.

I generally agree, but it is the best for an incompetent like Mr Cranium.
With enough space flexible connectors are fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
So decide to cut down
the threads to match the old.

You what?

I must admit I missed that!

Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a LOT worse than cutting plastic
pipe with a hacksaw! ;-)

The difference is I've got rudimentary metal working skills. ;-)
So am capable of filing it square after cutting.

I'm amazed it sealed.

Both perfect - and not even tightened up that hard. No sealing compound -
just the fibre washers.

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Christian McArdle wrote:

So decide to cut down
the threads to match the old.

You what?

I must admit I missed that!

Cutting down a tap connector to
fit is a LOT worse than cutting plastic
pipe with a hacksaw! ;-)

The difference is I've got rudimentary
metal working skills. ;-)
So am capable of filing it square after cutting.

Richard, do not tell pokies. You always have blood over the tools when you
do anything.

I'm amazed it sealed.

Both perfect - and not even
tightened up that hard. No sealing compound -
just the fibre washers.

More porkies. He now has to use buckets to take water to the kitchen. Sad
isn't it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
It would be far less confusing (and irritating) if you
were to simply top-post, instead of continually ballsing
the atts.

I do not state the writer's name, as a mixture of top and bottom posting
by subsequent authors can cause misattribution. You can always go back
up the thread to work out who said what and this would be much more
reliable that the usually incorrect quotes.

My reader does this automatically. If you'd included the attribute to
Chris's post that would be there too.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Chris Bacon wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote:
Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a
LOT worse than cutting plastic pipe
with a hacksaw! ;-)

All he had to do was cut back the copper using a ratchet pipe cutter
and install some flexible tap connectors.

Flexible tap connectors are horrible things, it's easy
to do a proper job and not use them.

Not for dribble who can't even cut plastic pipe.

Rigid copper pipe helps in making the tap rigid too - if mounted in a
steel sink. Less connectors than flexible so less chance of a leak. Floppy
taps are nasty things. I'd have expected a 'pro' like dribble to notice
this.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a LOT worse than cutting
plastic pipe with a hacksaw! ;-)

I'm amazed it sealed.

If he filed the end flat, square and smooth I don't think he was asking
too much. Although I would have looked to see if the supply pipe could
have been shortened which would be very easy with a pipe slicer and a
couple of speedfits.

Wot - and spoil my beautifully bent pipework? ;-) As I'm at home I have a
decent workshop handy, so cutting and filing the fitting was no big deal.

Generally the two hole mixers tend to be suitable for lower pressure
supplies.

That's what I guessed. Wrong, as it happens.

Has the end of the spout got an aerator?

I'm not sure. It gives a nice round stream from either hot or cold which
the old one didn't.

How much extra ink would it take to mark the box as to what it's designed
for?

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

Yes, most modern taps require high pressure supply. You have to hunt
for low pressure ones.

I'm not impressed with the "low pressure" one I fitted.
I had to add a booster pump to get more than a trickle out of it.
--

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

It would be far less confusing (and irritating) if you
were to simply top-post, instead of continually ballsing
the atts.

I do not state the writer's name, as a mixture of top and bottom
posting by subsequent authors can cause misattribution. You can always
more reliable that the usually incorrect quotes.

Christian.

It's funny, I had my wrist slapped for just that in one of those advanced
groups where anoraks talk in Klingon.

IMO your posts (and mine) are much clearer than the (no doubt
advanced) gibberish mostly posted there ;~)

--

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote:
Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a
LOT worse than cutting plastic pipe
with a hacksaw! ;-)

All he had to do was cut back the copper using a ratchet pipe cutter
and install some flexible tap connectors.

Flexible tap connectors are horrible things, it's easy
to do a proper job and not use them.

Rigid copper pipe helps in making the tap rigid too - if mounted in a
steel sink. Less connectors than flexible so less chance of a leak. Floppy
taps are nasty things.

Yup. They can cause strange noises, too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Chris Bacon wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote:
Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a
LOT worse than cutting plastic pipe
with a hacksaw! ;-)

All he had to do was cut back the copper using a ratchet pipe cutter
and install some flexible tap connectors.

Flexible tap connectors are horrible things, it's easy
to do a proper job and not use them.

Not for dribble who can't even cut plastic pipe.

This is unbelievable. Richard Cranium here put the wrong taps in and cuts
off a thread that should not be cut. Amazing....and blood on the tools too.

** snip babbling senility **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Ed Sirett wrote:

Cutting down a tap connector to fit is a LOT worse than cutting
plastic pipe with a hacksaw! ;-)

I'm amazed it sealed.

If he filed the end flat, square and smooth I don't think he was asking
too much. Although I would have looked to see if the supply pipe could
have been shortened which would be very easy with a pipe slicer and a
couple of speedfits.

Wot - and spoil my beautifully bent pipework?

You mean kinked!!!

** snip babble **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Ed Sirett wrote:

Has the end of the spout got an aerator?

I'm not sure.

Richard doesn't know what an aerator is. Sad isn't it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol

Doctor Drivel wrote:
All he had to do was cut back the copper using a ratchet pipe cutter and
install some flexible tap connectors. Boy is he dumb.

Hmm, so you'd advocate reducing the flow rate even further as a solution?

It may be worth checking to see if the taps have wire mesh filters
fitted into the assembly. Removing these if fitted will improve the flow
rate.

Regards
Capitol
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Chris Bacon wrote:

Flexible tap connectors are horrible things, it's easy
to do a proper job and not use them.

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are the answer to a maidens prayer mate.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Ed Sirett wrote:

Generally the two hole mixers tend to be suitable for lower pressure
supplies. Has the end of the spout got an aerator?

My kitchen mixer tap has always been slow on the hot water side, around 3
litres/min whereas my bathroom single hot tap (immediately above the kitchen
& fed from the same supply) is around 6 litres/min.

Logic tells me it should be the other way around.

Does the presence of an aerator indicate a high pressure tap or would
removing it help matters?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
david lang wrote:
Flexible tap connectors are horrible things, it's easy
to do a proper job and not use them.

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are the answer to a maidens prayer mate.

Only if you can't work pipe properly. ;-)

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
david lang wrote:
My kitchen mixer tap has always been slow on the hot water side, around
3 litres/min whereas my bathroom single hot tap (immediately above the
kitchen & fed from the same supply) is around 6 litres/min.

Logic tells me it should be the other way around.

If it's a bath tap from a storage system it's likely fed with 22mm pipe.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If it's a bath tap from a storage system it's likely fed with 22mm
pipe.

No 15mm.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Only if you can't work pipe properly. ;-)

Only if you are stuck in a 1970's time warp.

They are the way of the future, boldly going where no plumbing device has
been before.....

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

It's easy to quote correctly, just because a minority of
others can't or won't doesn't mean that you should join
them, which you are doing, by posting with no flippin'
atts. *at all*.

I used to, then got very badly burnt. By removing the attributions, I am
reducing the chance of any subsequent legal action that might come from
incorrectly attributing anyone. I know some people do not like it, but I'm
not willing to risk it, particularly as I don't hide behind a net name.

Christian.

Member

[quote=Dave Plowman (News)]Decided to fit a nice shiny new one in the kitchen. 1/2" inputs,
obviously, since my hot water comes from a storage system with a header
tank. First thing was that the 1/2" threads were about 1/2" longer than
the old fitting, and the pipes to it rigid copper and of course not that
easy to get at. So decide to cut down the threads to match the old. Get it
all done to discover the internals of the damn thing must be for high
pressure stuff as the hot flow is far worse than before. Even the cold
seems lower too.

--
I'm worried now.....I have just ordered a Mixer tap for my kitchen - it did not specify High pressure systems only but I asked the vendor and he assured em it should be OK. I looked up the spec on the web and the tap requires min 1bar pressure.....my kitchen has cold water from the mains (presume this is at least 1bar) and hot water from the cylinder on the second storey of the house (I have a conmventional gravity vented system). With the rigmorol of fitting the tap (not an easy task as it is so inaccessible) should I be concerned? To be honest - there really aren't many taps out there that specify suitability for gravity-fed systems......

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
david lang wrote:
Only if you can't work pipe properly. ;-)

Only if you are stuck in a 1970's time warp.

They are the way of the future, boldly going where no plumbing device
has been before.....

For a start they restrict flow in a low pressure system. Second, you end
up with more joints - never a good thing. Third, they cost more. ;-)

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
I used to, then got very badly burnt. By removing the attributions, I am
reducing the chance of any subsequent legal action that might come from
incorrectly attributing anyone. I know some people do not like it, but
I'm not willing to risk it, particularly as I don't hide behind a net
name.

Someone took legal action against you over something written to a
newsgroup? Do tell - broad outline only if need be.

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

For a start they restrict flow in a low pressure system.

Wouldn't think so, very little difference in bore size from copper.

Second, you
end up with more joints - never a good thing.

I suppose so, but I've not had a problem.

Third, they cost more.
;-)

True enough they cost more to buy, but what about labour costs?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Wouldn't think so, very little difference in bore size from copper.

Not the ones I've seen. The bore in the flexies has been about 8mm for
nominally 15mm fittings.

True enough they cost more to buy, but what about labour costs?

Worse in some cases. I had to remove my flexies, as they buzzed and hammered
badly under high pressure, so I had to do the job twice.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Someone took legal action against you over something written to a
newsgroup? Do tell - broad outline only if need be.

However, a mixture of top-posting and bottom-posting from previous posters
meant that I accidentally attributed something quite scandalous to the wrong
person, who was somewhat upset. I'm afraid I can't go into further details.

Since then, rather than go through every single quote to make doubly sure
that the previous posters got their attributions correct, I find it safer to
just remove them, so I can't be accused of misquoting anyone.

Christian.

Kitchen mixer taps Arthur UK diy 2 August 22nd 05 05:18 PM
bath/shower mixer taps Riz1 UK diy 2 October 27th 04 09:58 PM
No Cold Water coming from Mixer Taps on Bath Victoria UK diy 12 October 25th 04 11:33 PM
Mixer taps with unabalanced water pressure? Claudio Potenza UK diy 2 February 14th 04 10:41 PM
Problem with a mixer shower taps jay UK diy 2 November 11th 03 02:21 AM