Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless Thermostat Problem

I've just noticed recently that my central heating hasn't been working
- the boiler works for hot water, but although the thermostat
indicates operation it's not actually managing to swicth the boiler
on.
It's one of those wireless jobs and I suspected the batteries my be
running low - so I've replaced them and reset the thermostat timer and
receiver - no joy. Fearing interference from a similar device in the
neighbourhodd I changed the channels using little rocker switches
inside the sender and reciever - again no joy.

Now I'm having some other strange wireless issues around the house and
I'm wondering could they all be related...

My remote key-fob for the car - works fine away from the house - has
to be within inches of the car to work at home.
We've a wireless thermometer sender - outside sender normally sends
internal reciever the outside temp - not being recieved of late.

I have two DECT telephones - both working fine.
Wireless router - seemingly all ok.

Has anyone encountered such strange problems? Could there be some sort
of interference that could prevent signals being recieved? I've gone
through the process of isolating all the wireless devices in the house
to see if any of them are responsible - could a neighbouring device be
to blame?

Any advice/suggestions welcomed

Norbet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 10:48 am, Norbet wrote:
[...]

We pick up the morse code beacon from Cambridge airport on our baby
alarm when the reciver is plugged into the mains charger.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Apr 2007 02:48:47 -0700, Norbet
mused:

[...]

Have you actually tested the receiver to prove that the signals aren't
being received by testing the outputs?

Have you tried moving the transmitter closer to the receiver to narrow
down the possibilities?

Is it installed correctly, i.e. less than the maximum distance away
and not the other side of several solid walls and sheets of metalwork
etc..?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Hi

Try turning one device at a time?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 10:48 am, Norbet wrote:
I've just noticed recently that my central heating hasn't been working
- the boiler works for hot water, but although the thermostat
indicates operation it's not actually managing to swicth the boiler
on.

Surely if it indicates demand for heating it's something in the
switching that's wrong? With mine it's always the batteries but you
said you tried that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Norbet wrote:

[...]

What does the thermostat actually control? Chances are that it doesn't
control the boiler directly but controls a motorised valve which, in turn,
controls the boiler. So it may not be a wireless problem at all. The
receiver may be receiving the signal, and switching, but whatever it is
switching may not be working.

You need first to get a thorough understanding of how your system is
*supposed* to work, so that you can then trace it through with a voltmeter
and see just what is working and what isn't. Can you identify your control
system as being one of the 'plans' described in
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm ?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Norbet" wrote

I've just noticed recently that my central heating hasn't been working
- the boiler works for hot water, but although the thermostat
indicates operation it's not actually managing to swicth the boiler
on.

You've tried moving the thermostat close to the receiver and are sure that
the stat is calling for heat?
It is possible that the stat has somehow become "unbound" from the receiver.
These are paired up prior to fitting so that (if you have 2 devices as I
have) the stat talks to the relevant receiver only.
Once you've eliminated all other causes, it might be worth looking at the
stat/receiver instructions and attempting to re-bind them.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Norbet wrote:
[...]

Probably the wireless router is blanketing everything else..

Spawn of the devil etc.

Dunno about YOUR setup, but my wireless stat receiver has a green light
that comes on when it receives a signal from the TX.

If the stat is showing heat called for and te green light isn't on, you
have a radio trouble, all right. There are test and setup things.

First thing I would do is take the stat off the wall and hang it next
door to the receiver and do tests..new batteries first of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

adder1969 wrote:
On Apr 20, 10:48 am, Norbet wrote:
I've just noticed recently that my central heating hasn't been working
- the boiler works for hot water, but although the thermostat
indicates operation it's not actually managing to swicth the boiler
on.

Surely if it indicates demand for heating it's something in the
switching that's wrong? With mine it's always the batteries but you
said you tried that.

It could simply be the motorised valve as well. Nothing to do with the
radio at all.

I mean the chain goes:-

stat via RF - receiver (is it showing call?) - motorized valve (is it
moving?) - micro switch on valve (has it got a broken wire?) - boiler
stat (is that working?) - pump and ignition mechanism.

Plenty of potential problems in that chain.

Need to poke around with a mains test screwdriver or a meter all along
to see what is not doing what it should.

One quick test might be to try and move the motorized valve by hand..if
that all works you know the problem is 'upstream'..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Apr, 12:16, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
adder1969 wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who posted replies
I've just been home and have found the source of the problem. I forgot
to add that the doorbell is also wireless, but this hasn't worked for
ages.
When I got home this lunchtime I noticed the push button on the front
door had become stuck (so was constantly transmitting). Once the was
loosened - my boiler came on, I can now unlock & lock the car and the
wireless thermometer works again!!
Amazing to think that a doorbell of all things could cause such
problems!!!

Cheers
Norbet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-20 13:49:03 +0100, Norbet said:

Thanks to all who posted replies
I've just been home and have found the source of the problem. I forgot
to add that the doorbell is also wireless, but this hasn't worked for
ages.
When I got home this lunchtime I noticed the push button on the front
door had become stuck (so was constantly transmitting). Once the was
loosened - my boiler came on, I can now unlock & lock the car and the
wireless thermometer works again!!
Amazing to think that a doorbell of all things could cause such
problems!!!

Cheers
Norbet

.... and the cat can get in through its cat flap?

It's surprising that the doorbell push switch battery would have lasted
so long.