Posted to uk.d-i-y
Norbet Norbet is offline

Default Wireless Thermostat Problem

On 20 Apr, 12:16, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
adder1969 wrote:
On Apr 20, 10:48 am, Norbet wrote:
I've just noticed recently that my central heating hasn't been working
- the boiler works for hot water, but although the thermostat
indicates operation it's not actually managing to swicth the boiler
on.

Surely if it indicates demand for heating it's something in the
switching that's wrong? With mine it's always the batteries but you
said you tried that.

It could simply be the motorised valve as well. Nothing to do with the
radio at all.

I mean the chain goes:-

stat via RF - receiver (is it showing call?) - motorized valve (is it
moving?) - micro switch on valve (has it got a broken wire?) - boiler
stat (is that working?) - pump and ignition mechanism.

Plenty of potential problems in that chain.

Need to poke around with a mains test screwdriver or a meter all along
to see what is not doing what it should.

One quick test might be to try and move the motorized valve by hand..if
that all works you know the problem is 'upstream'..

Thanks to all who posted replies
I've just been home and have found the source of the problem. I forgot
to add that the doorbell is also wireless, but this hasn't worked for
ages.
When I got home this lunchtime I noticed the push button on the front
door had become stuck (so was constantly transmitting). Once the was
loosened - my boiler came on, I can now unlock & lock the car and the
wireless thermometer works again!!
Amazing to think that a doorbell of all things could cause such
problems!!!

Cheers
Norbet