Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help with wireless thermostat problem

I'm having a problem with a new wireless thermostat and wonder if I
could get some advice.

The thermostat is a Carrier TSTATCCPRF (thermostat) and TSTATCCREC01
(receiver). The manual is at
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...m-tstat-10.pdf
or http://tinyurl.com/2fntx3, or see
http://www.commercial.carrier.com/co...PRD753,00.html
or http://tinyurl.com/yvxdah for the entire set.

The furnace relay on the other end is a Honeywell R845A (manual at
http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/60-2481.pdf or
http://tinyurl.com/yskwj4). This is for an oil fired furnace.

I have the T T connections from the relay going to the W and R
connections on the thermostat.

Now, when I first hooked up the thermostat, everything worked fine for
a while. Then the relay at the furnace started buzzing. This happens
even if the transmitter and receiver are right next to each other.
When I put back the old thermostat the problem goes away. I got a
replacement thermostat of the same model and the same problem happens,
so I don't think it is defective.

The back of the manual mentions that with a 4 wire system, adding a
270 ohm, 10 watt resistor across the Y and C terminals at the furnace
will provide more power, but I have a 2 wire system and I'm not using
the C terminal.

Thanks for any advice you can give on this problem.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I think what happens is that when the thermostat is calling for heat, it
works fine, but once it's satisfied and opens the circuit, it causes chatter
at the relay because it has a voltage robbing charging circuit built into
it. It allows a trickle of current to pass, in order to keep the batteries
charged. This type of system works fine on many relays, but some of the
newer ice cube relays take such a small amount of current to energize them,
this trickle causes them to almost pull in and chatter. I would contact the
manufacturer if the manual doesn't mention this

ups.com...