Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Seeing wet-edge of paint on a ceiling

When emulsion painting a ceiling with paint of the same colour as is already
on, I have great difficulty detecting the wet-edge of where I have just
painted. And this makes it difficult to know where to apply the paint next.

Is there anything I can do to make the just-painted wet edge show up better,
so I do not end up with missed patches?

I was thinking that a difference between wet paint and dry paint is that
light is reflected better from wet paint. So I wondered if it would help to
get a bright, cold-running light, such as a 500W security light, and point
it at the ceiling from the floor. Has anyone tried this, and did it help?

Anode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:31:08 +0100, "Anode" mused:

When emulsion painting a ceiling with paint of the same colour as is already
on, I have great difficulty detecting the wet-edge of where I have just
painted. And this makes it difficult to know where to apply the paint next.

Is there anything I can do to make the just-painted wet edge show up better,
so I do not end up with missed patches?

You can get emulsion which when wet is pink but dries white. Not sure
where it was from.

I was thinking that a difference between wet paint and dry paint is that
light is reflected better from wet paint. So I wondered if it would help to
get a bright, cold-running light, such as a 500W security light, and point
it at the ceiling from the floor. Has anyone tried this, and did it help?

A 500W security light is most definitely not cold running.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:31:08 +0100, "Anode" mused:

When emulsion painting a ceiling with paint of the same colour as is already
on, I have great difficulty detecting the wet-edge of where I have just
painted. And this makes it difficult to know where to apply the paint next.

Is there anything I can do to make the just-painted wet edge show up better,
so I do not end up with missed patches?

You can get emulsion which when wet is pink but dries white. Not sure
where it was from.

Dulux Magic White - see http://tinyurl.com/yofeg6 (or
http://www.dulux.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PracticalitiesProductDetailsControllerCmd?storeId= 10752&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&code=MW

Never tried it - is very expensive compared with conventional stuff IIRC

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:35:12 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

You can get emulsion which when wet is pink but dries white. Not sure
where it was from.

Crown. I don't know if it is still made.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can get emulsion which when wet is pink but dries white. Not sure
where it was from.

Thanks for the comments on white emulsion that changes colour as it dries,
but I am looking for something with general application to any colour.

Anode

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anode wrote:

When emulsion painting a ceiling with paint of the same colour as is already
on, I have great difficulty detecting the wet-edge of where I have just
painted. And this makes it difficult to know where to apply the paint next.

Is there anything I can do to make the just-painted wet edge show up better,
so I do not end up with missed patches?

Strong daylight seems to be the thing that really shows up the
difference... perhaps a string while fluorescent light at a low angle
might help?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:10:30 +0100, Peter Johnson
mused:

wrote:

You can get emulsion which when wet is pink but dries white. Not sure
where it was from.

Crown. I don't know if it is still made.

Someone makes it because I saw someone using it the other week and I
know it had just been bought, or bought within the last few Months at
least.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anode" wrote in message
When emulsion painting a ceiling with paint of the same colour as is
already on, I have great difficulty detecting the wet-edge of where I have
just painted. And this makes it difficult to know where to apply the paint
next.

It sounds like it doesn't need painting to me.

Have a beer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You can get emulsion which when wet is pink but dries white. Not sure
where it was from.

Crown. I don't know if it is still made.

Someone makes it because I saw someone using it the other week and I
know it had just been bought, or bought within the last few Months at
least.

I've struggled with this problem, especially white on white. I reckon a
headlight might work but haven't got round to trying it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

I've struggled with this problem, especially white on white. I reckon a
headlight might work but haven't got round to trying it

An interesting idea, though I suppose a battery light around the head would
not show up well in ordinary daylight. I've seen plasterers use a strip
fluorescent light in a vertical position, standing on the floor, in front of
a wall they were working on. If such a light is helpful for work on a wall,
it suggests it may be helpful on a ceiling if positioned suitably. Though
the plasterers would be looking for undulations I suppose, whilst I am
looking for wet edges, which is a bit different.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:31:08 +0100, Anode wrote:

When emulsion painting a ceiling with paint of the same colour as is
already on, I have great difficulty detecting the wet-edge of where I have
just painted. And this makes it difficult to know where to apply the paint
next.

Is there anything I can do to make the just-painted wet edge show up
better, so I do not end up with missed patches?

I was thinking that a difference between wet paint and dry paint is that
light is reflected better from wet paint. So I wondered if it would help
to get a bright, cold-running light, such as a 500W security light, and
point it at the ceiling from the floor. Has anyone tried this, and did it
help?

Anode.

===============================

It's easier to use an undercoat of a different colour. Look
on the tin (or maker's instructions) for a suggested undercoat colour.

Cic.
--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

Smoking heavily for a while prior to painting may also help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news

It's easier to use an undercoat of a different colour. Look
on the tin (or maker's instructions) for a suggested undercoat colour.

Cic.
--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux
Windows shown the door
================================

That seems a useful strategy to have available. Thank you.

Anode

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 15 Apr,

I've used a double 5' flourescent fitting in the past. Suitably aligned it
seemed to work, but good daylight always shows up the bit you missed.
After a
few coats you get it right.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Thank you for this helpful information. Did you make some sort of moveable
stand to hold the fluorescent fitting at ceiling level?

Anode

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anode wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
I've struggled with this problem, especially white on white. I reckon a
headlight might work but haven't got round to trying it

An interesting idea, though I suppose a battery light around the head would
not show up well in ordinary daylight.

I think it's the angle of the light rather than the strength.
I found the pink tinted white paint pretty useless. Maybe it's my eyes.

I've seen plasterers use a strip
fluorescent light in a vertical position, standing on the floor, in front of
a wall they were working on. If such a light is helpful for work on a wall,
it suggests it may be helpful on a ceiling if positioned suitably. Though
the plasterers would be looking for undulations I suppose, whilst I am
looking for wet edges, which is a bit different.

Kilz as ceiling paint? Charles Spitzer Home Repair 22 June 8th 18 09:59 PM
Kitchen ceiling paint Davao UK diy 6 August 18th 06 08:49 AM
Wet cathedral ceiling [email protected] Home Repair 7 March 29th 05 01:16 AM
Paint a Straight edge on Skirting Board? Mr B UK diy 8 November 30th 04 06:35 PM
Suspended ceiling edge Jeff Home Repair 7 December 11th 03 02:46 PM