Jeff

Default Suspended ceiling edge

I'm remodeling my basement but would like to leave the suspended
ceiling in for accessing wiring. However, I've knocked out a wall
(actually just goes along the stair line now) and therefore if I were
to hang the suspended ceiling, you would be able to see a 5-6" gap
between the joist and suspended ceiling. This only happens on one
side of the room. Is there any way that I can eliminate this gap or
am I just better off throwing drywall on the ceiling. Thanks in
advance.
UnFriendly Fire

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
I'm remodeling my basement but would like to leave the suspended
ceiling in for accessing wiring. However, I've knocked out a wall
(actually just goes along the stair line now) and therefore if I were
to hang the suspended ceiling, you would be able to see a 5-6" gap
between the joist and suspended ceiling. This only happens on one
side of the room. Is there any way that I can eliminate this gap or
am I just better off throwing drywall on the ceiling. Thanks in
advance.

If you have the means to drywall.....DRYWALL all the way. This will look
much more professional.

Greg O

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
I'm remodeling my basement but would like to leave the suspended
ceiling in for accessing wiring. However, I've knocked out a wall
(actually just goes along the stair line now) and therefore if I were
to hang the suspended ceiling, you would be able to see a 5-6" gap
between the joist and suspended ceiling. This only happens on one
side of the room. Is there any way that I can eliminate this gap or
am I just better off throwing drywall on the ceiling. Thanks in
advance.

I would just build in a false beam to run the ceiling up against.
If you have junction boxes in the ceiling you can not drywall over them. You
need access to any box with wire connections in them. I have suspended
ceilings in my basment. If I were to drywall the ceilings I would have to
re-wire most of the main floor!
Greg

David Babcock

If you are insistent on leaving the suspended ceiling, I would find some new
metal grid material and matching panels. If the panels can't be matched it
isn't real expensive to replace all the panels.
Now here is where it gets creative. Take some of the old panels, use them to
fill the space you've created. You can then buy faux stained glass panels,
or just the panels used for fluorescent lights. When the time comes, you
could ad the lights.
If it were me I would replace all the panels.

Dave

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
I'm remodeling my basement but would like to leave the suspended
ceiling in for accessing wiring. However, I've knocked out a wall
(actually just goes along the stair line now) and therefore if I were
to hang the suspended ceiling, you would be able to see a 5-6" gap
between the joist and suspended ceiling. This only happens on one
side of the room. Is there any way that I can eliminate this gap or
am I just better off throwing drywall on the ceiling. Thanks in
advance.

Dave Gower

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
I'm remodeling my basement but would like to leave the suspended
ceiling in for accessing wiring. However, I've knocked out a wall
(actually just goes along the stair line now) and therefore if I were
to hang the suspended ceiling, you would be able to see a 5-6" gap
between the joist and suspended ceiling. This only happens on one
side of the room. Is there any way that I can eliminate this gap or
am I just better off throwing drywall on the ceiling.

I am facing a similar problem and am planning to wrap large foam mouldings
around the room just underneath the ceiling edge. I anticipate it will
soften that industrial look of suspended ceilings (which I like however).

Another responder said drywall would look "more professional". I personally
disagree. Some residential grade suspended ceilings look quite classy to my
eye. And like you say, you get the access.

Jeff

Thanks for all the tips. I had decided to run a oak moulding border
around where the gap was since the rest of the trim will be oak but
then my brother stopped by and after a lengthy pros and cons session
talked me into drywalling it. I don't have any junction boxes except
where the old flourescent lights were. I'm going to be putting
recessed lighting in instead and therefore won't have to deal with the
old boxes. If I do need to move stuff I can move the boxes into a
laundry area where it will be accessible.