Mr B

Default Paint a Straight edge on Skirting Board?

Hi

How do you get a neat finish when painting on top of skirting Board's
without painting the wall too?
How do the pro's get round this without taking all day about it?

EricP

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:29:40 -0000, "Mr B"
wrote:

Hi

How do you get a neat finish when painting on top of skirting Board's
without painting the wall too?
How do the pro's get round this without taking all day about it?

Low tack masking tape.

BigWallop

"Mr B" wrote in message
Hi

How do you get a neat finish when painting on top of skirting Board's
without painting the wall too?
How do the pro's get round this without taking all day about it?

Tear arms lengths of low tack masking tape, and then apply them to the wall
in bits, making sure you press the edges and joints down firmly.

TonyK

"Mr B" wrote in message
Hi

How do you get a neat finish when painting on top of skirting Board's
without painting the wall too?
How do the pro's get round this without taking all day about it?

Paint the skirting first then emulsion the wall down to the skirting, if
your edge goes wobbly you can just wipe off with a damp cloth and do it
again.

MikeS

"TonyK" wrote in message

"Mr B" wrote in message
Hi

How do you get a neat finish when painting on top of skirting Board's
without painting the wall too?
How do the pro's get round this without taking all day about it?

Paint the skirting first then emulsion the wall down to the skirting, if
your edge goes wobbly you can just wipe off with a damp cloth and do it
again.

I agee Tony,

I usually paint the skirting boards first then emulsion pain if I get
emulsion on the paint work I use a scraper covered in a damp cloth and with
my knuckles against the skirting wipe the straight edge of the scraper along
the skirting. changing the position of the cloth on the straight edge to
ensure a clean piece of cloth at each sweep.
Having hand painted along the peripherals I them apply emulsion on the walls
with a roller.

When applying emulsion on walls having painted the skirting board I have a
damp rag that I wipe over the paint work to get rid of emulsion spots in the
paint.

I note professionals emulsion first and paint skirting board last. but the
cutting in is not as good and its difficult to remove surplus oil paint from
emulsion paint. DIY method takes longer but is neater.
MikeS

RichardS

"Mr B" wrote in message
Hi

How do you get a neat finish when painting on top of skirting Board's
without painting the wall too?
How do the pro's get round this without taking all day about it?

Practice, steady hand, good eye and patience, I'm afraid.

You can use low-tack masking tape if you want, but that just adds to the
time of the job.

Cutting in is a bit of an art really, a good pro can do it with amazing
speed and accuracy. A decent well worked-in brush properly loaded with
paint makes the job possible.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

The Natural Philosopher

MikeS wrote:

"TonyK" wrote in message

"Mr B" wrote in message

[...]

One think that really helps is a bead of decorators caulk between wall
and board. This gives a curved bead that is easier to cut in.