Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT I finally nailed cat under the floorboards today

When I work at houses that have cats I always count or get the customer to
count the cats before the floorboards go down.

Today the customer and myself counted the cats. All 3 were accounted for. I
have just had to do a 2 hour return trip to the customers house tonight as
there were pathetic cries from below the floorboards. I lifted the boards
and found their next door neighbours cat.

The little *******, I wish I could give it a call out charge.

Adam (very ****ed off)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pish-posh. Tell them you can't make the return trip becuase of sick
child/van trouble/alien abduction. Ask them to summon the fire brigade
to effect rescue - ideally with a chainsaw. Then charge customer for
visit next week to repair floorboards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:56:31 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

When I work at houses that have cats I always count or get the customer to
count the cats before the floorboards go down.

Today the customer and myself counted the cats. All 3 were accounted for. I
have just had to do a 2 hour return trip to the customers house tonight as
there were pathetic cries from below the floorboards. I lifted the boards
and found their next door neighbours cat.

The little *******, I wish I could give it a call out charge.

Adam (very ****ed off)

So you heard the one about the carpet fitters? Just finished laying
wall-to-wall fitted carpet, job well done, gaffer feels in pocket for
his baccy for a roll-up ... not the tries another pocket ... and
another ... then notices the bulge in the middle of the carpet. Sod that:
out with large hammer, bang bang, flattened out reasonably. At that point
lady of the house pops her head round the door "You haven't seen the kids'
hamster in here have you?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth writes
When I work at houses that have cats I always count or get the customer to
count the cats before the floorboards go down.

Today the customer and myself counted the cats. All 3 were accounted for. I
have just had to do a 2 hour return trip to the customers house tonight as
there were pathetic cries from below the floorboards. I lifted the boards
and found their next door neighbours cat.

The little *******, I wish I could give it a call out charge.

Adam (very ****ed off)

Where to do I send the bill to clean the **** out of the carpet?

Both me and the sister (visiting) are highly amused (but not at your
expense mind :-D )
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:56:31 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

When I work at houses that have cats I always count or get the customer to
count the cats before the floorboards go down.

Today the customer and myself counted the cats. All 3 were accounted for. I
have just had to do a 2 hour return trip to the customers house tonight as
there were pathetic cries from below the floorboards. I lifted the boards
and found their next door neighbours cat.

The little *******, I wish I could give it a call out charge.

Adam (very ****ed off)

Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards) brings
good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
luck good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards) brings
good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
luck good.

Do you have a reliable source for that? I've never heard of it and have read
a good deal about mediaeval building.

TIA

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
When I work at houses that have cats I always count or get the
customer to count the cats before the floorboards go down.

Today the customer and myself counted the cats. All 3 were accounted
for. I have just had to do a 2 hour return trip to the customers
house tonight as there were pathetic cries from below the
floorboards. I lifted the boards and found their next door neighbours
cat.
The little *******, I wish I could give it a call out charge.

Adam (very ****ed off)

That has to be the best subject line I've ever seen! On a par with 'Freddie
Star ate my hampster' :-)

Did you not charge for the extra time? Wasn't your fault and you did count
the cats. Thats a good tip actually, something to bear in mind.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:56:31 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

When I work at houses that have cats I always count or get the customer to
count the cats before the floorboards go down.

Today the customer and myself counted the cats. All 3 were accounted for. I
have just had to do a 2 hour return trip to the customers house tonight as
there were pathetic cries from below the floorboards. I lifted the boards
and found their next door neighbours cat.

The little *******, I wish I could give it a call out charge.

Adam (very ****ed off)

Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards) brings
good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
luck good.

When we were repairing this house we found a dead cat under the
floorboards. There was also a bowler hat and a pair of shoes, all of the
same era (about 1726).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 16:18:45 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

|!
|!"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
|!
|!...
|!
|!
|! Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards) brings
|! good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
|! luck good.
|!
|!Do you have a reliable source for that? I've never heard of it and have read
|!a good deal about mediaeval building.

Plenty of evidence for pre-christians burying animals, notably horses under
buildings, and inhabited sites.
http://www.molas.org.uk/projects/rep...e ction=olym3

Excavation at Parnell Road (slightly further west of Area Ba) produced the
first in situ prehistoric remains encountered in the Bow area, comprising
Bronze Age post holes and gullies. Bronze Age pottery and burnt flint were
also found at Wick Lane. An Iron Age occupation site with a human
inhumation and horse burial were found at Stratford Market Depot (Area Ce),
buried by flood deposits.

Might have continued to medieval times.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:56:31 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

When I work at houses that have cats I always count or get the customer

count the cats before the floorboards go down.

Today the customer and myself counted the cats. All 3 were accounted

for. I
have just had to do a 2 hour return trip to the customers house tonight

as
there were pathetic cries from below the floorboards. I lifted the

boards
and found their next door neighbours cat.

The little *******, I wish I could give it a call out charge.

Adam (very ****ed off)

Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards) brings
good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
luck good.

Some are still very much superstitious in South Africa; and other parts of
Africa!
Not to be read by the fant hearted, if you are easily upset, move on!!!

Body Parts Built into New Hair Salon
This article was originally published on page 1 of Pretoria News on December
13, 2006
A Pretoria family spent more than five hours watching in horror as police
removed what was thought to be the body parts of their four-year-old
daughter from the walls of a hair salon where they were entombed.

The Majola family's ordeal, which was played out in front of hundreds of
Mamelodi residents late on Tuesday afternoon, began moments after Connie
Ncube's alleged killer Lorenzo "Eric" Ngoveni was whisked to the scene from
the Pretoria magistrate's court under heavy police guard.

Ngoveni, a Mozambican who is believed to be living in South Africa with a
fake passport and identity document, was arrested last weekend at his
Mamelodi shack after a neighbour overheard his girlfriend threatening to
tell police about his alleged crimes.

Connie's mutilated body was found floating face down in a stream near her
Nellmapius home nearly two years ago.

Her killers had gouged out her eyes and hacked off her eyelids, breasts,
genitals, bellybutton and lips.

The community's outrage was further sparked after police delayed searching
for Connie despite her mother Maria Majola repeatedly phoning and going to
the Silverton police station.

Baying for Ngoveni's blood, Mamelodi residents watched on Tuesday as sniffer
dogs from the Pretoria, Soweto and Johannesburg search and rescue units
searched for traces of Connie's mutilated body parts.

Search and rescue members, under the watchful eye of detectives from the
national serious and violent crime unit's psychological section, carefully
searched Ngoveni's half-built hair salon.

The salon is opposite the Pienaarspoort train station, next to the Lesedi
Day Care Centre and the Carmel Christian Fellowship church.

The psychological unit is made up of a team of crack detectives who
investigate muti killings and serial murders and rapes.

Police armed with sledge hammers, angle grinders and chisels hacked at the
ash brick walls of Ngoveni's salon after two sniffer dogs indicated several
areas - which two State witnesses had earlier pointed out - from which the
scent of rotting flesh emanated.

Ncube's mother collapsed in hysterics as police began pulling chunks of
cement, mixed with what seemed to be human flesh, from the broken walls.

Police filled three evidence bags with the dark brown and black chunks.

Crying out in disbelief and horror nearly 500 onlookers, who were kept at
bay by police armed with semi-automatic assault rifles, screamed for Ngoveni
to be handed over to them to be punished.

"The man is a devil. He must be burned," screamed two women as police rushed
him to a police van.

A visibly shaken Majola, who was seen repeatedly thanking the police, said
she was glad to get closure.

"I just want this to be over. I want to be able to bury my baby properly. I
want to be able to say goodbye to her. I want to know that she is safe with
God," she said while being held by her mother Elina.

A detective, explaining why body parts were "built" into the buildings of
new businesses, said it was done in order to attract customers.

"It is believed that the victim's eyes will help potential customers to see
the new business while the lips and tongue will spread the word that a new
business is being operated," said the detective.

Police spokesperson Inspector Anton Breedt confirmed that several bags
containing an unknown substance had been removed from the demolished walls
of the salon after sniffer dogs had reacted "positively" to the strong
smell.

He said they could not comment on the substance until it had been analysed
at the police forensic unit.

"The collected evidence has been sent to our forensic laboratory in
Silverton where it will be analysed," he said.

Commenting on Ngoveni being in possession of a fake South African passport
and ID, Breedt said they were looking into the matter.

Breedt appealed to anyone with information on the identity or whereabouts of
others involved in Connie's murder to come forward.

Anyone with information can contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

o This article was originally published on page 1 of Pretoria News on
December 13, 2006

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Ed Sirett wrote:

Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards)
brings
good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
luck good.

When we were repairing this house we found a dead cat under the
floorboards. There was also a bowler hat and a pair of shoes, all of the
same era (about 1726).

There are a lot of instances of shoes being put in chimneys, from earlier
than that. Nobody knows why although there are always those who opine :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
When I work at houses that have cats I always count or get the
customer to count the cats before the floorboards go down.

Today the customer and myself counted the cats. All 3 were accounted
for. I have just had to do a 2 hour return trip to the customers
house tonight as there were pathetic cries from below the
floorboards. I lifted the boards and found their next door neighbours
cat.
The little *******, I wish I could give it a call out charge.

Adam (very ****ed off)

That has to be the best subject line I've ever seen! On a par with
'Freddie Star ate my hampster' :-)

Did you not charge for the extra time? Wasn't your fault and you did
count the cats. Thats a good tip actually, something to bear in mind.

Couldn't really charge for that, it only took 2 hours travel due to a level
crossing closure for overnight works and the rewire is as easy as it gets.
And to top it off the old dear did bake me some scones to go with my tea
whilst I was working and is now promising to do an apple pie.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

[...]

It could be worth a new thread "What have you found under floorboards?" I
have had some good and bad finds.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards) brings
good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
luck good.

Do you have a reliable source for that? I've never heard of it and have read
a good deal about mediaeval building.

TIA

Mary

I don't know about cats, but while helping knock a doorway through the wall
of a 200 year old stone cottage in France, we found a mummified mouse in
the wall. The mouse appeared to have a piece of string tied tightly around
its neck.

Steve W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

k...

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

tell her to count the cats before she puts the lid on the pie !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 20:16:52 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

|!On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 16:18:45 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:
|!
|! "Ed Sirett" wrote in message
|! ...
|!
|! ...
|!
|!
|! Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards) brings
|! good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
|! luck good.
|!
|! Do you have a reliable source for that? I've never heard of it and have read
|! a good deal about mediaeval building.
|!
|! TIA
|!
|! Mary
|!
|!I don't know about cats, but while helping knock a doorway through the wall
|!of a 200 year old stone cottage in France, we found a mummified mouse in
|!the wall. The mouse appeared to have a piece of string tied tightly around
|!its neck.

I keep mouse poison between my upstairs floorboards and downstairs ceiling.
So I probably have several mummified mice there :-)
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Completely Free to any
address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. uk...

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

This customer does not scare me as she only has 3 cats. I frequentlyam
required do work in a 2 bed bungalow where the owner has 33 (yes thirty
three) cats. That is creepy.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..

When we were repairing this house we found a dead cat under the
floorboards. There was also a bowler hat and a pair of shoes, all of the
same era (about 1726).

It could be worth a new thread "What have you found under floorboards?"
I have had some good and bad finds.

Been done several times before actually!

See "What's the weirdest thing someone's left under _your_ floor?"
(1998): http://tinyurl.com/yva7v4 - but I know I've seen at least
another one more recently than that...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:18:45 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards) brings
good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
luck good.

Do you have a reliable source for that? I've never heard of it and have read
a good deal about mediaeval building.

There is a pub is Bury St. Edmund's which is in the city centre. It has a
mummified cat on display which was found in a chimney. There was a note of
explanation saying this is what builders used to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

[...]

1937 newspaper (almost complete): with adverts for "Craven Plains" and
"Valve Radios" priced at 7 Guineas. That was probably the equivalent
price now of a very large plasma TV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards)
brings
good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
luck good.

Do you have a reliable source for that? I've never heard of it and have
read
a good deal about mediaeval building.

There is a pub is Bury St. Edmund's which is in the city centre. It has a
mummified cat on display which was found in a chimney. There was a note of
explanation saying this is what builders used to do.

Thanks, does the pub give sources?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 19:02:54 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

It could be worth a new thread "What have you found under floorboards?" I
have had some good and bad finds.

1937 newspaper (almost complete): with adverts for "Craven Plains" and
"Valve Radios" priced at 7 Guineas. That was probably the equivalent
price now of a very large plasma TV.

There was a Woodbine packet under our boards, left by the plumber. There was
a note on the back about how our lives would change if we gave in to Adolf
Hitler.

I know it was a plumber because it was signed by my godfather, who was a
plumber and did a lot of work in this house. It used to belong to my uncle.
My godfather was a very skilled plumber who had lots of other talents, he
taught me to think at a very early age.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...

. uk...

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

33? does it stink a bit ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message

Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor boards)
brings
good luck. Medieval builders were known to sacrifice cats to keep their
luck good.

Do you have a reliable source for that? I've never heard of it and have
read
a good deal about mediaeval building.

There is a pub is Bury St. Edmund's which is in the city centre. It has a
mummified cat on display which was found in a chimney. There was a note of
explanation saying this is what builders used to do.

Thanks, does the pub give sources?

Nah, it's too small to do food.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:56:31 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

When I work at houses that have cats I always count or get the

customer to count the cats before the floorboards go down.

Today the customer and myself counted the cats. All 3 were

accounted for. I have just had to do a 2 hour return trip to
the customers house tonight as there were pathetic cries from
below the floorboards. I lifted the boards and found their
next door neighbours cat.

The little *******, I wish I could give it a call out charge.

Adam (very ****ed off)

Allegedly a dead cat in a chimney (or maybe under the floor
boards) brings good luck. Medieval builders were known to
sacrifice cats to keep their luck good.

When we were repairing this house we found a dead cat under the
floorboards. There was also a bowler hat and a pair of shoes, all
of the same era (about 1726).

Perhaps cats were employed as building surveyors in them days.

Arthur.

Keeps the witchs and warlocks out - leave it there - better safe than
sorry

--
zaax